1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. WhiskeyBent

WhiskeyBent Well-Known Member

Just picked up a pair of the Jcrew 484 Raw Selvage for my first pair of selvage denim. Not a top brand, but, oh well. Just seeing if I like selvage. Anyhow, will the inseam on these shits shrink after the first wash?

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

Apples and oranges in terms of fit and quality. Would pick RRL every time, though.
    Not by much.

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Thanks, I was going to pick up some from eBay for $80, unfortunately I chickened out at the last minute because I wasn't sure on sizing. Should've grabbed them though as it turns out!!

4. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

I got an issue -

I recently took a trip overseas and packed my raw denim to take with me. When I got home, I noticed that the denim has a sort of musty smell to it from being in the suitcase (plus my bag didn't arrive for days because of Irene).

Obviously I don't want to wash it just yet, but what else can I do to get rid of the musty smell? Fabreeze?

Thanks in advance.

5. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Quick Question: 3sixteen versus APC NS. What are pros and cons of each?

6. uninkco

uninkco Senior member

^ I think the APC NS can be worn really slim considering that it will stretch. other than that, I can't really think of any other pros. 3sixteen uses better denim, less stretch and fades better imo. I think the only con of 3sixteen is that it might be at a slightly higher price point than APC but I'm sure you can find a pair at woodlands or blueowl or selfedge.

7. kontai69

kontai69 Senior member

I used to own the APC NS (in indigo and black) and currently own the 3sixteen st-100x. The 3sixteen is a better jean, IMO. The 3sixteen denim feels much higher quality than APC denim. It is more dense (less stretchy), thicker, has a smooth peachy feel inside and out, and is woven in Japan (jean itself is sewn together in USA). Even though it is raw, it is quite soft and flexible even when brand new, which I was surprised to see. The 3sixteen also has better quality hardware (buttons, rivets) and is a little better sewn together than APC.

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

Air them out? Soak?

9. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

Let the air out with some febreeze, thats the best way. You could also throw them in the freezer over night. Just toss them in a bag, leave them overnight and they'll be alot less smelly when you take em out in the morning, some people swear by this..

This is a great read from putthison. Take a look :

APCs tend to be the standard recommendation for people looking to get their first pair of quality jeans. In my experience, there are disadvantages to the old standard. They stretch out much more than other jeans, have poor stitching, and aren’t built from Japanese denim. I recently had a great conversation with Kiya Babzani, co-owner of Self Edge, one of the leading denim shops in the world, about why APCs have become so popular, despite their mediocre quality.

“APCs got into the scene really early and offered a raw selvedge jean with nothing on the back pockets at a good price,” Kiya explained. “There are other brands but most of [them] have a very Americana look to their branding. APCs were a crossroads between fashion and classic […] a more simple, almost ‘fashion,’ look as opposed to a straight reproduction vintage style look which was originally designed for workwear.”

Nowadays, however, we have more options in the sub-$200 price point, and for such buys, I think 3sixteen’s jeans are the best that you can get. Unlike APCs, they’re actually made from Japanese denim (specifically a 14.5 oz red-line selvedge denim woven at Kuroki Mills).

“The Japanese have mastered the art of producing denim, and textiles in general,” Kiya said. “Their textile producing techniques date back further than most of the world, as they produced extremely complex (even for today) fabrics for kimonos, which were dyed with the most exotic dyes and woven on wooden looms.”

What’s so special about 3sixteen’s particular Japanese denim? For one, it’s woven exclusively for them, which is rare for a company that isn’t the size of Levis or Gap. The material is pure indigo dyed, with no sulfur, which gives the jeans a deeper blue color than many other models you’ll find on the market. At the same time, there is minimal processing, which allows the denim to retain some hairiness and prevents it from looking too sleek or uniform. They also have an interesting weave. The 14.5oz weight gives the jeans some heft, but the open ended weft yarns leave the jeans fairly soft on the inside. In short, the denim is some of the most handsome I’ve seen and comfortable I’ve worn.

The best thing about the jeans, however, is the fit. While the company makes a slim tapered model (ST-100x), I favor the straight legged (SL-100x). They have a respectable rise and a flattering fit all around. If you like the fit of slim, but not skinny, trousers, you’ll probably like the fit of the SL-100x.

You can get a pair from Self Edge for $195. They’ll hem your jeans with a traditional chainstitch for free, which will give you a roping effect as your jeans age. That’s still a bit pricey for many people, to be sure, but if you’re looking to get some quality jeans, I can’t think of a better first buy.

10. Maerhyl

Maerhyl Well-Known Member

Abcdenim,

Thanks for the great information. After looking at the 3sixteen on selfedge, I believe they are all 300$. Where did you see that a pair of 3sixteen could be had for 195$ at selfedge?

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

You're looking at 3six +, not 3six. Look at the website again.

12. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

yeah they have a collab with selfedge, those are the 300 dollar ones. The normal 3sixteens should be 198

13. chinoguy

chinoguy Senior member

Does anyone know where to find Dior Homme jeans on sale? Are there any websites that sell APC, Nudies and Dior at a cheaper price?

14. kojnglsmith

kojnglsmith Active Member

I've been having trouble finding a pair of jeans that fits the way I want. I've put on some weight recently so my New Standards and Left Field slim-straight jeans are both too tight in the thighs. I have a pair of 501 shrink to fits that fit me perfectly (bought them an inch big in the waist) so I'm looking for a nicer pair of jeans that have a similar fit (first thought was 1947 501s but I read that those are a good deal slimmer than modern 501s). Any ideas? I'm sick of ball-crushing jeans that strangle my thighs but want something nice than the 501 STFs I have right now.

15. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=279

16. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

Not that many sites carry Dior denim in the first place.

You can try Diabro, Saks, Farfetch, LVR, YOOX and I'm probably missing some but you gotta really search to find them on sale.

Your best bet is B&S here, SuFu, SZ, and eBay for the cheapest prices.

17. dunks94

dunks94 Well-Known Member

Is there anyway that I can reduce inseam shrinkage during a hot soak? I need to shrink The leg opening but I want to preserve the insea

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

How much do you think you're going to shrink the hem realistically? Let's assume the pair is sanforized. What's 3% of 8"?

You can always stretch out the inseam while they're still wet. Same concept as loosening the waist.

19. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^^shrinkage is inevitable, man. other than the waistband, other parts are a pain [if not impossible] to manipulate. either take em back or alter_ the latter seems a temporary satisfaction, but a drastic & irreversible fix, which in most cases end up @FS, anyway..

next time, just get the cut you want from the getgo. it's less hassle/costly that way.

20. chinoguy

chinoguy Senior member

Thank you kind soul.