1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Clench Million

Clench Million Senior Member

I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and have around $150 to spend on a nice pair of jeans to start it off.

What pair should I get and what measurements should I know?

Thanks in advance.

Barring sales, the best bang for your buck are APCs (I suggest new standards). They are 155, but with style forum discounts at Denim bar they are more like 125.

Beyond that, you can look for sales. Denim Bar in fact is having one right now.

2. breakz

breakz Distinguished Member

I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and have around $150 to spend on a nice pair of jeans to start it off.

What pair should I get and what measurements should I know?

Thanks in advance.

What Clench said. Also, if buying online make sure you know your waist, thigh, and inseam measurement. Measure your thigh at its biggest point.

Also look into how much each pair will stretch; for example, raw denim usually stretches a size, APCs stretch two. This varies by brand though.

Btw, this IS doable. I had no problem finding a great pair on sale, and now's a great time to find one.

3. Fully Retractable

Fully Retractable New Member

A couple months ago I ordered a pair of 5EP LDB dry from Denimbar, 34x32. I love everything about the jeans, except they're maybe half a size too big in the waist. I kinda hesitate to just throw them in the dryer and hope for the best. Any suggestions on shrinking the jeans just a little?

4. onion

onion Distinguished Member

A couple months ago I ordered a pair of 5EP LDB dry from Denimbar, 34x32. I love everything about the jeans, except they're maybe half a size too big in the waist. I kinda hesitate to just throw them in the dryer and hope for the best. Any suggestions on shrinking the jeans just a little?
    Hot soak them for an hour or two in a bath tub adding more hot water over time to keep the water hot. If that doesn't shrink them enough wet them and throw them in the dryer (Generally you don't want to throw jeans in the dryer if you don't have to, but in this case 5EP is extremely colorfast, so you won't lose much if any indigo.). That's what I did, and it worked for me.

5. Nil

Nil Distinguished Member

Should I size down on a pair of Nudie Average Joes (dry heavy)?

6. breakz

breakz Distinguished Member

That's the standard Nudie advice. True to size results in a slouchier fit.

7. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Distinguished Member

So to sum up, I am in love with these jeans, and would love to find out from people of similar size if they have had luck going with slightly shorter 514's which are more readily available. Otherwise, I would love to hear suggestions for other jeans that fit like the 514's, and preferably are not extremely expensive (that is a subjective thing I know.. I am just starting out simple with nicer jeans for now, but plan to keep trying new things) Thanks for any info.
    514s are my favorite cut from Levi's and if I could find something similar from another "brand", I'd love to know as well. I'm no help to you as I have a 30" inseam. I want something black or really dark blue, neither of which appears to be in the 514 line-up. I suppose if I waxed a pair, it'd get nice and shiny-dark... I think Diesel Zathan's might be a similar cut, but I haven't tried those in awhile. No more $200 jeans until I drop 2 more sizes. [​IMG] Edit: I should add that 514s are my favorite for legs, anyway. 511s are waaaaay too skinny for me (I'm not into the whole "tights" look), 501s are a little too relaxed. The butt is still completely unflattering and droops, but for $30, I guess I can't complain too much. I suppose after losing another 50 pounds, I'll start looking at higher end again.

8. Musselma

Musselma Senior Member

Definitely.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

If I've come to the conclusion that Acne Mic Raws are pretty much my perfect pair of jeans, are there any other similar options for the sake of variety? Or should I just keep buying these for the rest of my life?

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

514s are my favorite cut from Levi's and if I could find something similar from another "brand", I'd love to know as well.

I always thought the Nudie Slim Jim was really similar to the 514. Agree that the 514 is a good cut and a better buy at $40 than a lot of more expensive jeans that are iffy in cut and quality.

11. Musselma

Musselma Senior Member

If I've come to the conclusion that Acne Mic Raws are pretty much my perfect pair of jeans, are there any other similar options for the sake of variety? Or should I just keep buying these for the rest of my life?

They have a zip fly don't they?

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

^ Yes. That part, I do not particularly care about.

13. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Distinguished Member

I always thought the Nudie Slim Jim was really similar to the 514. Agree that the 514 is a good cut and a better buy at $40 than a lot of more expensive jeans that are iffy in cut and quality.
    The biggest problem I have with the 514s is the denim quality. I don't do anything stressful in them ever since my accident (bicycle commuting: 0 Streets of Los Angeles: 1) and have a very sedentary job. They just don't last very long. My first pair of 514s lasted 7 months before they developed huge gaping holes in the knees (I still wore them for about 2 weeks after that). These are about... 4 months and I've already got a small hole forming on my right knee. It's baffling. The Loomstates I was wearing when I skidded across the asphalt for many feet just have some road "tar" stains. Those and a pair of Diesels I wore through the Portland Winter, bicycle commuting 14 miles/day, rain sleet or rain, various wrecks, etc, are in great shape. The 514s? I don't know what kind of denim they're using, but it's certainly not built for longevity. [​IMG] I wash them once a week, but I do wear them probably 6 days/week. Same as any other jean I've worn. :/ Thanks for the tip, though.. I've been looking at those nudies and wondering if they were similar for awhile now.

14. Musselma

Musselma Senior Member

^ Yes. That part, I do not particularly care about.

Damn I was hoping it had changed to a button fly, as that's all that's keeping me from buying a pair right now [​IMG]

15. danbachran2

danbachran2 Well-Known Member

Okay, so I've searched through the forum, and used the search function with no luck of finding any of the information i need. So here's my predicament. I am looking for my first pair of raw denim. I am looking at the APC new standard, new cure, and petite standard. Also i like the nudie slim jim. Which would you recommend? Are their any other styles or brands you could recommend?

I have 2 pairs of diesel zathans and i like the fit of them in the thighs and such, but they are boot cut, and I'm looking for something with more of a straight leg. i wear a size 29 in diesel. looking for a fairly slim fit maybe sizing down 2 sizes? as i stated earlier i am a noob when it comes to raw denim and such, so any help is awesome!

P.S. i like the lower rise idea of the petite standard, but i don't want something that is hipsterish, or girly. i just don't want the crotch to be super long.

Edit: I am about 5' 11" and i weigh about 135