1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

try 3sixteen or Baldwin. Up there for sure in quality and way more worth the money than the previous brands you mentioned. Can't go wrong with what you mentioned though, solid denim and solid cuts across the board!

2. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

I'd like to throw in Rogue Territory, either the Stanton or SK (tapered/skinny). One man operation with some sweet little details, Japanese denim, constructed on the west coast. Under $200, and worth the extra $35 or so over the APC Petite Standards IMO. 3Sixteen and Baldwin are also great too for the money. http://www.rogueterritory.com/store/

3. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Some tailors take "original hem" too serious. I once had a tailor who did the same. Screwed the jeans in my opinion. Since then I only let them get hemmed at the place I buy them from.

4. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

damn that hurts my eyes! I think they did try and keep that chain stitch, but looks like they fucked up the rest of your jeans! if you have some room, just cut that off and get the plain old lock stitch hem... it won't be as nice as that chainstitch one, but it will sure look a lot better than what they are right now.

5. Guy Love

Guy Love New Member

Just got my first pair of raw denim in the mail (Naked & Famous Skinny Guy) and my the thighs feels tighter than I'd like. I know the waist will loosen up with wear, but what about the legs?

6. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

They will stretch out, but not a lot. The waist will definitely stretch out a lot more than the thighs. If you have bigger thighs and find it uncomfy i'd probably switch it up and try out the weirdguys, since they give you some more room up top but are still nice and tapered at the bottom

7. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Aright guys, this is a very vague question. I just bought True Religions (don't crucify me), and am going to return them and get a nice raw denim pair instead. Can anyone point me to a good pair? I have 300$ to spend.

8. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

Hey at least you're heading in the right direction :fonz: Here are ones that I'm a big fan of, either because they've got some cool details you wouldn't really find anywhere else, the particular type of denim (Cone Mills in North Carolina or various mills in Japan), the fit is usually a slim-straight, or ones with a slight taper (pretty classic cut and not so trendy IMO), the people behind the brand and their story etc. Raleigh Denim ~ $280-290. US sourced denim, made by a husband/wife team. Cool little details like x-rayed hips on the pocket bags. Rogue Territory ~ $190. A one man operation based in Cali. Stanton or SK depending on what fit you'd like 3Sixteen ~ $200. Japanese denim but constructed here in the US. Simple, clean, slim or skinny fit Tellason ~ $200. Either US or Japanese denim, 2 man operation here in the US. 3 different fits. Details like lined rear pockets Left Field ~ $175. Based in NY. US sourced denim. Details like bandana pockets. Just to get you started

9. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Thanks man. I just bought a pair of indigo naked and famous jeans about an hour ago. Hopefully I will like those. I may try these out if not.

10. BuffaloWang

BuffaloWang Senior member

My first pair of raw selvedge jeans. I'm in high school and the inseam on these are pretty long.

How should I tailor these? How much should I shorten the inseam but still keep enough to fade honeycombs/stacks.

Thanks! The cuffed part is what I planned on shortening, but it seems like I might need more?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  11. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

nice man, way to get into the raw denim game! looks like a good fit, but if you wanna hem, leave some extra room just in case you wanna switch it up here and there. You could always cuff more, pin roll, or stack with some extra room. If you wanna keep the chainstitch hem on the unbrandeds you're gonna have to get it hemmed somewhere kinda special, like selfedge, BiG, or try holystich(juliandash). But if you aren't too worried about keeping it then any standard tailor should be able to easily hem them!

12. Carbon6595

Carbon6595 Member

Hey forum, I am looking for a first pair of raw/dry jeans that are in a slim fit straight leg style. I am 5'11" 160lbs. I'm thinking of going for the Nudies slim jims. Any other recommendations? Budget is $200.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

3Sixteen, Naked and Famous would be worth looking into and depending on the model would come in under budget.

14. BuffaloWang

Just recently got into raw jeans as well as you can see from my previous posts.
    Throughout my journey for my first pair I've been recommended many but I narrowed it down to a few. You have a bigger budget, thus more choices for me.

N&F
    APC
    Unbranded
    Nudies
    Gap Selvedge

====

Imperial
    Ironheart
    Flat Head

15. BuffaloWang

16. Carbon6595

Carbon6595 Member

BuffaloWang the cuff looks ok IMO or are they still too long for you with it? Double cuff? I really don't know anything about hemming so I can't help you there. And thanks for the previous advice.

17. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

18. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Just got my first pair of raw denim today (nudies). How does the fit look? These were the smallest size I could possibly squeeze into. My thighs are muscular so I got the straight leg fit, not skinny.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  19. Carbon6595

Carbon6595 Member

Ok, went to Nordstroms today but they only had the SJ in the dry grey wash. Deeply disappointed I checked the Rack and the internet to no avail. Caved at the last minute and ordered A.P.Cs which were my secret desire all along. Will post pics when they arrive

20. Michael Jacks

Michael Jacks New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for jeans in the in the <150 and <100 price range.

I am 5'6' 130 lbs with sorta big thighs (20 inches) and am looking for a slim/straight fit.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.