1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Senior member

Sleeping in my size 32 EPs (were VERY tight since I'm a more natural 33-34) did help in making them fit better but I ultimately needed to do lunges and ride a bike while damp. But sleeping in them did help honestly just for the waist, my problem was that I have very muscular thighs and they were not stretching much until I did lunges while damp.

2. fromega

fromega Member

Can anyone speak to how the different Tellason styles compare to the Naked and Famous weird guy fit?

3. stingray1381

stingray1381 Senior member

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

4. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

I need to get some new jeans, with a budget of about £50.
    Are Uniqlo good or can I get something better at this price?
    Thanks

5. Erenoth

Erenoth Senior member

Uniqlo's are good for that price range, but quality has suffered the last few years, so you're better off looking in B&S or eBay to find a pair. Other options include Unbranded, Gap selvedge, Levi's and Lands' End (canvas). If you increase your price range slightly, you'd be able to nab a pair of N&F's on sale.

6. 4zim

4zim New Member

Hey everyone,

This is a bit of a basic question, but I thought I'd ask anyways. I bought a pair of Levi's 501s for super cheap, and I really like the soft denim. I find the cut to be a bit wide and wanted to take them to a tailor to get them tapered. Is this even possible or will it ruin the jean, especially considering I only want to take it in about half an inch.

Any other advice is really appreciate too.

Thanks!

7. Erenoth

Erenoth Senior member

You could take it to be tailored, but in all honesty unless it was a LVC repro, it's probably going to end up costing you whatever you paid for it originally (if not more). If you can live without the button fly, Levi's has similar cuts you may want to look into. The 505 (slightly slimmed down 501, straight leg) and 514 (slim straight, slightly lower rise) cuts will be pretty much anywhere you look, but there's also a few cuts that are available; 520 (relatively skinny, very tapered opening - 13"), 511 (slim all-around, tapered leg). Hopefully one of them meets your requirements.

8. 4zim

4zim New Member

I have a pair of slim straight Matchstick that I really like. Unfortunately they're falling apart now and I can't seem to find another pair, so I was hoping to ask the tailor to do something similar.

The jeans only cost me $20, so I guess the only thing I can do is go in and ask the tailor what it would cost. If it's cheaper than a new pair, I'll go for it.

9. Erenoth

Erenoth Senior member

Getting a quote is definitely a start. Also, if you're referring the matchstick cut, it looks like they're still available via levis.com. They're $98 originally, half off to $49 right now-

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4151462

I'm not too familiar with that specific cut, but from the photos shown/description, is sounds somewhat similar to their brand new 513 line. Also, if you're looking for something that's slim and tapered, but still roomy in the waist/hips/thighs area, 511 would be my go-to. TTS they fit pretty loose, unless you have big thighs, in which case you can size up one for a comfortable fit. Most 511 washes include 1-2% stretch as well, so they're not too restricting at all.

10. mrpo0nani

mrpo0nani Senior member

Hey guys! Just bought my first pair of raw denim and was wondering about the stretch (of all raw denim): I think I may have ordered a size too large and if it stretches all the way out it will be too big.
    So, does denim continue to stretch as you wear it or does the stretch stop to where my waist is? Thanks a lot! They are 3sixteen 20BSP btw.

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

If they're loose to begin with then they're not going to stretch much if at all. You need tension to stretch something out.

Sleeping didn't make your jeans more comfortable, being in them did. But what does it even matter if clearly it wasn't enough and you had to find more efficient ways to stretch your jeans?

Let's stop the noob madness.

12. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

where can i buy 5ep jeans online?

13. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

A tapering job would probably run more than $20, so it might not be worth it for you. I've typically been quoted in the $30-$50 range for tapering.

It depends on how much your body stretches out the jeans when you sit down in them. I've had a pair of jeans that started out a little too big for me and ended up stretching out to be way too big after I wore them for a while, even though I wore a belt the whole time I had them.

14. Amarq09

Amarq09 Member

I'm 6'1" 165. Picked up some Nudie SJs from Barneys with 32" inseam. First pair of raw, trying them on again I'm thinking should have went with 34". They barely touch the ground when standing, so I'm guessing one wash with these and they'll be unwearable. Probably gonna take em back.

Really didn't know much going in so I just went by feel of fabric and design. The back pockets are a little too flashy/big for my taste, and I prefer button fly, so I might end up getting a different pair. Any suggestions? Plan to buy a second pair soon with aims to wear both around town/to class/going out. I have no pair of jeans that fit me atm cause I've lost around 13 pounds (was skinny fat) this summer. Just beginning Starting Strength(barbell lifting) so figure to be gaining some muscle in quads possibly waist, plus putting some weight back on. Should probably find pairs that aren't super tight right? Or find brands that are apt to stretch pretty well?

Brands I saw were APC, Citizens of Humanity, Nudie, Naked and Famous, Rag and Bones, Raleigh Denim, Ralph Lauren, few others that I can't remember. Tried on APC's, were super tight in legs and as I mentioned, legs are going to be getting bigger (squats 3x a week). The RDs were too big in the ass, Rag and Bones fit well (tight but not suffocatingly so) but looked a little too dressy for jeans.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  15. ToledoStyle

whodini, You realize that sleeping in them is just getting through the initial uncomfortable phase while not experiencing said discomfort because you are well... asleep so it is a method of trying to assist in breaking them in. Like I said the waist stretched fine but i have really muscular thighs so I needed further methods. Thank you for the trolling but I was just trying to help another member. You need to work on your people skills. I only hope you don't deal with people in your day-to-day job. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  16. ToledoStyle

BTW the jeans I've been talking about now are my favorite after I got them to stretch, just the right amount of snug.. but we'll see how much I wear them when my new PBJ Neo-Vintage come in :happy: I just wish I saw some photos of Neos worn in to get an idea of what to expect from a medium to semi-medium indigo denim.

17. MXERPAC

MXERPAC Well-Known Member

Size down on N&F or what? And is that the best bet for a first pair in that price range?

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

Brand is on hiatus and has been for several years.
    Yeah, wait until after your body shape has settled instead of putting a lot of guesswork into it. APC doesn't make just one model so you can try a looser fit (Rescue.) It also depends on how much you want to spend. If you're looking for a slightly looser fit and they carry RRL, try the Straight Fit. The quality is leaps and bounds better than the other brands you mentioned.

Wasn't trolling and I'm done being polite. Frankly, it's idiotic to suggest to people that they take jeans so seriously that you'd recommend that they wear them to bed instead of just wearing them normally. Did I miss the part where you were involved in some sort of natural disaster, currently homeless, and you had to wear your jeans or go naked? If it worked for you, fantastic. Ridiculous and pointless, but fantastic. But it's mind-numbing when crappy advice like this is perpetuated as being sound and the norm. I need to work on my people skills as much as you need to work on your critical thinking skills. Deal?

19. entrero

entrero Senior member

Splendid advice! Raw jeans too tight? Crotch hurts, or discomfort all over? No problem, go sleep through it and wake up with a nice surprise

Sorry but I don't think it's possible to work on something that's non-existent.

20. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I purchased a pair of Left Field jeans and they arrived 3 days back. I am facing one problem with them which is that the back pockets seem to be too close together and when I put my wallet in the back pocket it hurts my backside when I sit.

I am beginning to think that maybe there is a manufacturing defect and the back pockets are too close together and too far from the side seams. The pockets are also quite narrow in the width and as such there is no scope for my wallet to find the most comfortable spot. Rather it is stuck in a particular position and that position is very uncomfortable. I have not faced this problem in any of the jeans I have worn till date.

Thoughts ?