1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Distinguished Member

You mean like pin rolling? I guess it's all about what look you prefer; both can be done pretty well imo.

As long as the roll is around your heel or the top of your shoe, you're going to get at least some scuffing and maybe a tear or two.

2. doink

doink Senior Member

I do not think it is pin rolling.

I assume pin rolling is when you fold the fabric over as you roll your jeans in order to taper them. I have heard the term rolling and wonder if it is different than cuffing and if it has advantages over cuffs and how it looks.

The reason I am asking is that I just got a pair of $$$ jeans made and want to minimize getting lines about 1" up from the hem as they are expected to shrink at least an inch in length. My cane's have this line as do my naked and famous.

3. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Distinguished Member

I do not think it is pin rolling. I assume pin rolling is when you fold the fabric over as you roll your jeans in order to taper them. I have heard the term rolling and wonder if it is different than cuffing and if it has advantages over cuffs and how it looks. The reason I am asking is that I just got a pair of $$$ jeans made and want to minimize getting lines about 1" up from the hem as they are expected to shrink at least an inch in length. My cane's have this line as do my naked and famous.
    I guess the only difference would be rolling it over a couple times, as opposed to a half/single cuff, and then not folding it tight like you wouild with a cuff? Not sure how to get around the line thing, outside of letting them stack. There's no magic formula with some of this stuff...

4. hazE

hazE Active Member

Hey guys, I'm just getting into wearing raw denim, currently I'm looking at APC New Standards or Nudies Slim Jim Raw Indigo to start me off, but not really sure, I'd like to start off with some thing between the 100-150 price range, any recommendations of other jeans I should check out or am I heading in the right direction?

5. breakz

breakz Distinguished Member

Hey guys, I'm just getting into wearing raw denim, currently I'm looking at APC New Standards or Nudies Slim Jim Raw Indigo to start me off, but not really sure, I'd like to start off with some thing between the 100-150 price range, any recommendations of other jeans I should check out or am I heading in the right direction?
    There's quality denim on sale at the different affiliates if you look. DB's still got those Chimalas on sale for <$150, for example. Denim on sale is your best bet to find quality at that price point (aside from the beloved APC NS). EDIT: Just saw Self Edge has Nudie Slim Jims for $120 shipped with the Nudies code.

6. eqpablon

eqpablon Senior Member

wrong thread [​IMG]

7. Thrive

Thrive New Member

Whats up? I love the way that Levis 511 stretch slim fit jeans fit. What other jeans out there fit like these?

8. canvas01

canvas01 Senior Member

What jeans has a more relaxed cut? Nudie RRDS, or Imperial King? Thanks.

9. shoreboy

shoreboy Member

I need to buy a pair online but am a little worried i might get a 'wrong' fit, how do you guys choose your jeans? do you take heaps of measurements and compare, also searching these forums for tips?

im new to this and feel a little overwhelmed with all the info and stuff on here. I normally get size 33 jeans from the mall and like a fit like this pic i just saw http://www.tobi.com/product/7842-ear...rn-rigid-denim or something pretty similar, i'm not a fan of really slim fits

So can anyone fire out some recommendations?

(Ive seen a few named for newbs like APC's, Ande Whall was also mentioned in my previous thread (but he seems all sold out in my size))

10. Sleazy P

Sleazy P Member

I bought a pair of skulls, 50-10 black. they fit great, but the inseam is a little long for my liking, i think the stacking looks awkward with as much of it as there is. i was gonna soak them, and was wondering what the best way to soak them would be and how much shrinking i could expect in the wait and inseam.

11. breakz

breakz Distinguished Member

shoreboy: exactly as you said. Measured the usual spots (inseam, thighs, waist) and read up on various jean threads to get an idea of different fits. People with larger lower bodies, for example, are better off with straight/bootcut than slim or tapered. It all depends on your body type.

Also: LA Guy's top 10 list is a great place to start.

12. PG2G

PG2G Distinguished Member

I bought a pair of skulls, 50-10 black. they fit great, but the inseam is a little long for my liking, i think the stacking looks awkward with as much of it as there is. i was gonna soak them, and was wondering what the best way to soak them would be and how much shrinking i could expect in the wait and inseam.

I looked on Self Edge and apparently these are sanforized, you'd get an inch of shrinkage at best, probably closer to .5 (for length). Waist is going to be even less.

If they are too long, get them hemmed.

That said, there's nothing complicated about soaking. Turn them inside out and keep them submerged in water. People say the hotter the better for maximum shrinkage.

13. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior Member

What jeans has a more relaxed cut? Nudie RRDS, or Imperial King? Thanks.

they're about the same in the thigh

the nudie is narrower in the knee and hem

i'd say the King is more relaxed

14. aleister

aleister New Member

I recently bought a pair of Levi's 514's. I had always just worn boring loose/relaxed before. I finally decided to try something different, and I absolutely love them! I did not want to try anything too skinny, so the slimness of the 514's are perfect. They are so comfortable and feel great. The pair I got are 'tumbled rigid' 514's which I ordered from Macy's.

I am 6'3, and generally wear 34x36. I cannot find any other places to buy them in this size, and macy's only carries that one style. I want to buy more, but preferably not the exact same color, etc.

I do see several 34x34's around, and I am curious as to whether or not they would fit me well. The 514's seem to sit a little lower, which makes me wonder if I could pull off a 34 inseam. There are no stores around here that carry these, or any "nice" jeans at all, or I would just go try them on.

So to sum up, I am in love with these jeans, and would love to find out from people of similar size if they have had luck going with slightly shorter 514's which are more readily available.

Otherwise, I would love to hear suggestions for other jeans that fit like the 514's, and preferably are not extremely expensive (that is a subjective thing I know.. I am just starting out simple with nicer jeans for now, but plan to keep trying new things)

Thanks for any info.

15. Matteo

Matteo Member

I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and have around $150 to spend on a nice pair of jeans to start it off.

What pair should I get and what measurements should I know?

Thanks in advance.