1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Senior member

Hey guys. I'll be starting on my raw denim journey with a pair of 3sixteen's pretty soon, but i'll be moving out of the country in 4 months. I have figured it is a bad idea to fold my jeans to put into the luggage, so how am I supposed to bring my jeans with me without lines forming? Thanks a lot guys.
    They're just clothes.

2. mrpo0nani

mrpo0nani Senior member

Wait.... Maybe I should just... WEAR MY JEANS!

3. mrpo0nani

mrpo0nani Senior member

They're just clothes.

Wow, what a wonderful response. I meant that I didn't want weird lines to form because they'll be in my luggage for 16 hours and from what I can tell, those aren't natural fades I want in my jeans.

But thanks a lot for that information in your reply. It was really helpful. Really.

4. whodini

whodini Senior member

Wow, what a wonderful response. I meant that I didn't want weird lines to form because they'll be in my luggage for 16 hours and from what I can tell, those aren't natural fades I want in my jeans. But thanks a lot for that information in your reply. It was really helpful. Really.
    Oh, cool. Didn't know you were on the rag. I was trying to suggest that you might want to lighten up slightly given that jeans don't get sent to a store and then are stored like sheets of glass. But no, if you want to look like the village idiot for not figuring out that other people have travelled with jeans in luggage before without their sartorial world coming to a complete stop, then I'll let you continue.

5. ysb

ysb Senior member

Wow, what a wonderful response. I meant that I didn't want weird lines to form because they'll be in my luggage for 16 hours and from what I can tell, those aren't natural fades I want in my jeans.

But thanks a lot for that information in your reply. It was really helpful. Really.

would you have preferred a response telling you to hand carry your jeans, because that would be stupid.

The real answer is to buy a 40" x 24" x 6" box and fedex your jeans ahead of time.

6. mrpo0nani

mrpo0nani Senior member

"Trying to suggest" as in you couldn't have said "It should be fine" without sounding like an asshole, right?
    Right. I was fooled into thinking that I would get a regular answer. Instead, you feel the need to say something that is common sense, which looked like you were mocking me for no reason. Then you expect some kind of positive response. Yes, jeans are clothes. Thank you, again for that.
    Once again, I was under the impression that after I've started breaking them in and then the fact they would be folded up for 16+ hours they would adopt those fold lines and forever have them.

7. whodini

whodini Senior member

You don't think you're slightly overthinking things, maybe just a little?

I won't bother suggesting you may have overreacted to three inoffensive words. We'll probably get another paragraph from you how we're all assholes for xyz reason when 123 could have abc and solved x.

8. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

"Trying to suggest" as in you couldn't have said "It should be fine" without sounding like an asshole, right?
    Right. I was fooled into thinking that I would get a regular answer. Instead, you feel the need to say something that is common sense, which looked like you were mocking me for no reason. Then you expect some kind of positive response. Yes, jeans are clothes. Thank you, again for that.
    Once again, I was under the impression that after I've started breaking them in and then the fact they would be folded up for 16+ hours they would adopt those fold lines and forever have them.

That would not happen. Remember, before you bought them, your jeans were stored folded for days, weeks, possibly even months, in the store that you bought them from. If they didn't get any permanent fold lines from that length of storage, there's no way that spending 16+ hours folded up again will cause that to happen.

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

^^^

I don't believe you. Cite examples, APA format, please. Include youtube video, if possible.

10. commodorewheeler

^^^

I don't believe you. Cite examples, APA format, please. Include youtube video, if possible.

16+ hour Youtube video now underway... Be sure to hold your breath [​IMG]

11. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

This is a real beginner question, so please excuse my ignorance.

When it comes to jeans, let's say Dior Homme. What is the difference between the 17.5, 19, and 21 cm jeans? Is it the length of the leg?

Yeah, the difference is the hem. but in other words its how dior denim differentiates its cuts. 19cm is the tapered model, 21cm is the straight fit and so on. Different companies choose to call their fits different stuff like apc goes with NC, NS, PS etc.. naked and famous goes with skinny guy, weird guy, slim guy, and levis goes with 511,501 etc.. haha ya i think you get it.

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

Question: I'm looking for a pair of jeans in a different color than indigo blue (like some shade of grey maybe) that has the same or similar fit to the APC Rescue. I am fit but have fairly muscular legs so the New Standards were just too skin tight for me in the thighs. I love my APC Rescues, and just wished they came in more than just one color. If it helps I am normally a 33-34 waist and wear a 31 in APC Rescue.
    The problem is that the Rescue is more of a repro (full) fit so it can be tough to get into other colorways. NdG had a grey classic fit but I think that's slimmer than the Rescues. Jean Shop does a grey pair and the skinny fit aside they tend to make looser jeans. If you're just looking for different colors, period, Levi's makes the 501 in all sorts of colors.

You could go into denim that has a grey or greencast instead of the standard blueberry. Sugar Cane would fit the looser fit AND color cast bills. Artist Denim has a bunch of of different fabrics and I believe they also do fuller fits, too.
    16+ hour Youtube video now underway... Be sure to hold your breath [​IMG]
    I like that. A Warhol-worthy documentary.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Picked up what must have been one of the last pairs of Jean Shop Rockers in Grey from Barney's and they actually shipped. Hope they fit well.

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Did you find measurements on them? I know Farinelli's posted them for sales in the past.

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Did you find measurements on them? I know Farinelli's posted them for sales in the past.

I went off of Context's measurements for the raw black rockers and hoped they were the same.

16. whodini

whodini Senior member

You should be good to go.

17. orientalskas

orientalskas New Member

How should I get a pair of selvedge denim hemmed by a tailor? Anything specific that I need to ask for?

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

How should I get a pair of selvedge denim hemmed by a tailor? Anything specific that I need to ask for?
    They're like anything else. Might want to soak before hemming to get any shrinkage out of the way.

19. commodorewheeler

One thing that I would recommend asking for would be chainstitching on the hem. Most tailors are unable to do this, but if you are able to find someone who does, it's probably worth the extra dough because you do get a nicer roping pattern on the hem as the jeans are washed and dried in the future.

20. Logic

Logic New Member

First post on styleforum...
    I have 4 pairs of raw denim that have all incurred over 6 months of wear each and Ive never washed, soaked or cared for them in any way. I just wore a pair for months, then after awhile Id buy a new pair and start wearing them in. The two pairs that have more than 8 months of wear are a bit large in the waist now and Id like to get them back to the original size (shrink them up) and do whatever else I need to do to bring out all the wear nuances..All that said,
    Should I just soak them....and what is the BEST technique for doing that and/or can someone provide me a link to the thread where I can read up on doing this?
    Or should I wash in the washing machine with hot water and hang dry in the sun?
    Ive put a lot of time into these jeans and wanted to wash them a million times but resisted the urge. Now that its time I want to do things right. Any and all help is appreciated, and would really appreciate any links where this topic is discussed....sorry for the long post.