1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

the best denim, quality-wise, is raw selvedge denim.
    Wrong.

2. b14k

b14k Active Member

I just bought my first pair of PS and need to get them hemmed. the inseams are about 4-5in longer than my legs. I'm afraid if i hem them and wash them after 6 months, the inseam will shrink. What is a way to prevent this? thanks

3. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I just bought my first pair of PS and need to get them hemmed. the inseams are about 4-5in longer than my legs. I'm afraid if i hem them and wash them after 6 months, the inseam will shrink. What is a way to prevent this? thanks

APCs don't shrink much, so you'll probably be safe as long as you don't tumble dry them. I'd leave myself an extra inch when you hem just to be safe.

4. LJubel328

LJubel328 Senior member

Can someone tell me a bit about the "rules of fitting" for jeans?
    Is it too short, if you start seeing socks while sitting?
    Is it too long, if the jeans still stack while sitting?

greets

I really think its the look you are going for and your type of style. For a more dressy jean I like to keep the jeans darker, slimmer, and cropped to the point when standing you can slightly see my socks. For a more casual look I tend to leave more slack (usually 1-1.5 inches) incase I want to roll my jeans up.

5. Stalky

Stalky Member

I bought these Nudies today, for the price it's very cheap and they are so comfortable! Bit of a step up from my Calvin Klein jeans which i've had for ages and got a hole in the knee. http://www.laxfashion.com.au/index.p...ducts_id=18997 what do you guys think of em?

6. Zaqar

Zaqar New Member

Can anyone tell me how much N&F Slim Guys might stretch in the thighs? Sizing down 1 the waist is a bit too large and will only stretch larger, sizing down 2 it's perfect but the thighs are skin tight; everything else is good though. Suggestions?

7. MarineHillsTuff

MarineHillsTuff Active Member

Start with APCs if Diors are too pricey.

Thanks for the tip! What are your thoughts on Diesel? No go at all? Armani Exchange? Trying to get an idea for where certain brands fall in the quality chain.

8. MarineHillsTuff

MarineHillsTuff Active Member

Thanks for the tip! What are your thoughts on Diesel? No go at all? Armani Exchange? Trying to get an idea for where certain brands fall in the quality chain.

I also am curious - what's special about APC? What are the best style of jeans that APC makes? They all seem the same...?

9. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

MarineHillsTuff, they all have slightly different fits. Some are tighter and more tapered, and some are looser.

10. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

apc's are just known for their simple, minimalist style and nice cuts. and they are known to fade really well too

11. ChessDan

ChessDan Active Member

For APC, do I size down 2 or 3 sizes from my actual waist or what I wear in other jeans?

12. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

If you're even considering those two, don't buy anything for a while. You'll regret it later.

I bought these Nudies today, for the price it's very cheap and they are so comfortable! Bit of a step up from my Calvin Klein jeans which i've had for ages and got a hole in the knee.

http://www.laxfashion.com.au/index.p...ducts_id=18997

what do you guys think of em?

Ugly wash imo. Thin Finn cut is not bad though.

For APC, do I size down 2 or 3 sizes from my actual waist or what I wear in other jeans?

Measure around where your jeans usually sit and size down from there.

13. ChessDan

ChessDan Active Member

Thanks. Also, how badly do they bleed? I'm thinking of sleeping in them to loosen them up. Confused about soaking too. New to the whole raw denim thing.

14. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

Thanks. Also, how badly do they bleed? I'm thinking of sleeping in them to loosen them up. Confused about soaking too. New to the whole raw denim thing.

they'll bleed like jeans, some stains here and there on your white shoes or whatever, but it's not like if you wipe your hands on your thighs your hands will turn blue. they bleed mostly when they are soaked and wet, and after a couple times being wet most of the dye will bleed out. don't worry about that too much man!

15. ryvac

ryvac Well-Known Member

is there a picture thread here where people post their selvage demin?
    I did a quick search and couldn't find one so please help me find it. (because I'm sure there's one)

really want to see the types of fades you can get with each brand.

16. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

Go ahead and sleep in them unless you have white blankets/bedsheets. Bleeding isn't a lot, only really apparent on white stuff.

Also, you don't really need to soak APCs pre-wear

17. Kung-Paow

Kung-Paow Member

Hey guys,
    Can anyone tell me something about the quality of Denham jeans? I searched a lot of shops for my possible first pair of raw jeans and I really liked the look and fit of a Denham selvedge one.
    Thanks in advance

18. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

hello everyone. I've never had any of my jeans tailored as I've always sized accordingly. That being said, I'm going to kop some STF 501's. After I do the intial wash, I will likely get them tailored (barring perfect results) and hope to get a cut similar to washed LVC 1954. Any suggestions of how I should communicate with my tailor? Should the tappering begin at knee or thighs? In short, what sizing measurements should I ask for that won't make the 501's silly. Also any Bay Area tailor recomendations? [​IMG] [​IMG] http://images.jcrew.com/erez4/erez?s...if&tmp=prdDtIm

19. Islander

Islander Senior member

hello everyone.
    What are we looking at here? Is top pic your 1954 LVCs or 501s?

20. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I would say that both brands provide poor quality for the amount of money that you will spend on their jeans. As a general rule of thumb, denim from fashion brands isn't a good deal compared to denim from denim specialty labels.
    From your actual waist measurement.
    is there a picture thread here where people post their selvage demin? I did a quick search and couldn't find one so please help me find it. (because I'm sure there's one) really want to see the types of fades you can get with each brand.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=11022
    Any opinions on Kicking mule workshop? Miraculously, there's a retailer that has these in stock in downtown t.o.
    I think their quality is good and their cuts are decent, but the one thing that has always bugged me about their design is that they have the selvage showing on the watch pocket. If that doesn't bother you, I would recommend them. They are often available at a significant discount, I would be somewhat reluctant to pay full price for that particular brand, especially since retail price is on the high side as well.
    Hey guys, Can anyone tell me something about the quality of Denham jeans? I searched a lot of shops for my possible first pair of raw jeans and I really liked the look and fit of a Denham selvedge one. Thanks in advance
    I've never owned a pair, but I've heard good things about their jeans. They are a Dutch label, don't know too much else about them.