I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mrlazybums

mrlazybums New Member

I was wondering if there are any good options for lowriseish 9.25" to 9.75" raw denim?

2. heyheyhey

heyheyhey Senior member

I'm wondering what jeans are really "in" at the moment. Right now I have a wardrobe full of lovely bootcuts, some ready-worn, some that are nice and clean. I really like how bootcuts look with shoes, and the low rise suits me just fine.

Other than skinny jeans (Which I would never wear and really don't have the legs for anyway,) what jeans are really fashionable at the moment? One thing: I won't spend massive amounts on jeans, I'm kind of on a student budget here. [​IMG]

3. UmWat

UmWat Member

What are some "light" non-raw jeans for those of us that live in hot climates?

4. plasma89

plasma89 Member

I have the 5EP X SF and they are chainstitched. Is it necessary to get them chain stitched when i get them hemmed? I live in PA and would need to find a place in NY to ship my jeans to.

2nd question: Can you get them hemmed before a wash (raw denim)

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

What are some raw jeans with a weight similar to the Rag & Bone RB6 selvage? I don't want anything super heavy for summer, but would like to break something in.

Rag & Bone RB6s (selvedge model) are made of 13.75oz denim, which by itself is similar to most other Japanese denim, but the weave is so dense that the denim feels far more lightweight than it actually is.

For lightweight denim, you might want to track down Engineered Garments (12oz selvedge denim). Sold out at Peasants IIRC, but apparently available for cheap on eBay.

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I have the 5EP X SF and they are chainstitched. Is it necessary to get them chain stitched when i get them hemmed? I live in PA and would need to find a place in NY to ship my jeans to.

2nd question: Can you get them hemmed before a wash (raw denim)

There's a chainstitch thread here on SW&D. They don't need to be chainstitched if you don't want to (it's really not that big of deal but some people get OCD about it). You can get them hemmed before the wash but you might want to leave .25-.5" to account for possible shrinking. Honestly, just give them a soak before hemming. 5EP's have a ton of indigo and a simple soak isn't gonna kill your fadez.

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

8. Sherman90

Sherman90 Senior member

Can somebody shed some insight on my question on the previous page? I've got some Acne Ravens that are just too darned tight; they button up, but are uncomfortable. Can I expect them to stretch at all???

Thanks!

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Can somebody shed some insight on my question on the previous page? I've got some Acne Ravens that are just too darned tight; they button up, but are uncomfortable. Can I expect them to stretch at all??? Thanks!
    You can probably expect an 1" or so stretch like any other kind of jean. I just wouldn't expect the 2-3" you hear about from Nudie and APC.

10. UmWat

UmWat Member

Is there a guide somewhere on how to break in raw and nonraw jeans?

11. kronik

kronik Senior member

Is there a guide somewhere on how to break in raw and nonraw jeans?
    Rule 1) Wear them. Rule 2) Refer to rule #1. (Not really, no.)

12. heyheyhey

heyheyhey Senior member

I woke up this morning to put on a new pair of jeans, bought for me, only to find out that while the rest fits perfectly, the waist is slightly too tight for my liking. Its supposedly a 32" but i can feel from the fit that its a little less than that. Is there an easy way to stretch out the waist of jeans?

13. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I woke up this morning to put on a new pair of jeans, bought for me, only to find out that while the rest fits perfectly, the waist is slightly too tight for my liking. Its supposedly a 32" but i can feel from the fit that its a little less than that. Is there an easy way to stretch out the waist of jeans?

If its not too bad, just wear them (even sleep in them) for a while and they should stretch. If you want to speed it up, see if u can fit them lower on ur hips for more stretching :p

14. heyheyhey

heyheyhey Senior member

If its not too bad, just wear them (even sleep in them) for a while and they should stretch. If you want to speed it up, see if u can fit them lower on ur hips for more stretching :p

Oh right, will they stay stretched out that way, or will they go back once they're washed?

15. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

They'll go back. When you wash them wear them while they're wet. If you don't wash them but soak them, put a hanger or something to prevent it from going back to the original size