1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mrbig

mrbig Senior member

I'm looking for new jeans; specifically at either RRL, PRPS or Raleigh.

Only raw indigos at the moment but does anyone know how high the rise for those brands are?

I know it depends on the model but those brands seem to be relatively undocumented online...

Thanks!

2. Daeus

Daeus New Member

Are Levi's trucker jackets raw, or just really rigid when you get them? Will they fade at all?

3. htrieu

htrieu Senior member

I'm looking for a pair of black jeans. My budget is ~$250. I'm a fairly skinny guy so I'm looking for a slim tapered fit. Not sure if I want raw black denim but it's certainly an option. I'm leaning more towards something like this but my knowledge of black jeans is very limited so I'm open to other suggestions.

4. mrbig

mrbig Senior member

Both PRPS and Heirloom

5. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I'm looking for a pair of black jeans. My budget is ~$250. I'm a fairly skinny guy so I'm looking for a slim tapered fit. Not sure if I want raw black denim but it's certainly an option. I'm leaning more towards something like this but my knowledge of black jeans is very limited so I'm open to other suggestions.
    3sixteen has black selvage skinnies.

6. Jacob_G

Jacob_G Senior member

just bought a pair of black raw dior 19 cm. any advice on achiving great high contrast fadings on these?

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

does the 3sixteen sl-100x have any taper at all, or is it straight all the down?

if not, then what would be something in the ~200 dollar price range that fits similar to new standards?

Pretty much all straight cuts have some taper, otherwise the hem would be as wide as the knee, and you rarely ever see this. The SL-100x is no exception. That being said, it is considered a straight cut, not a tapered cut, because there is very little taper.

just bought a pair of black raw dior 19 cm. any advice on achiving great high contrast fadings on these?

Wear them a lot and don't wash often.

8. htrieu

htrieu Senior member

3sixteen has black selvage skinnies.

you think black selvage is the way to go hands down? i shouldn't consider regular black jeans?

9. commodorewheeler

you think black selvage is the way to go hands down? i shouldn't consider regular black jeans?

Nothing wrong with considering regular black jeans, but as a general rule of thumb nowadays, selvage denim is usually of a higher quality than non-selvage denim, so if it is within your budget, it's probably worth it.

10. entrero

entrero Senior member

Black jeans don't fade.

11. htrieu

htrieu Senior member

Nothing wrong with considering regular black jeans, but as a general rule of thumb nowadays, selvage denim is usually of a higher quality than non-selvage denim, so if it is within your budget, it's probably worth it.

gotcha. thanks!

12. SpartanUndressed

SpartanUndressed Active Member

I'm looking for a pair of gray jeans for the spring. I usually buy 7's A pocket jeans, they seem to fit me pretty well. My big problem with some of the trendier jeans is the lack of room in the crotch. Is there a brand that fits similar to the 7's that you guys would recommend in the gray? Looking to keep it under $200.

13. commodorewheeler

Black jeans don't fade.

Some do, some don't. For example, the Iron Heart Super Blacks don't fade at all, but Samurai's and PBJ's black jeans fade similar to indigo jeans.

14. htrieu

htrieu Senior member

Do they still make these Dior Homme 19cm in indigo? If so, is there someone on the forum who still proxies them? I'm interested in getting a pair.

15. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

I have a pair of RRL low straights (these - http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...za0/jpg075.jpg) and so far I love them, but does anyone know if these are raw, or will fade in as such? I've been wearing them about 45 days now, and don't plan to wash them for a while. I've noticed a few tiny spots that some of the dye has worn away, and I think I might be seeing a wallet outline, but I'm not sure. Just curious, love the jeans either way.

I'm a total jean n00b. Just now moving past Diesel's.

I just got a pair of the low straights and they definitely fade. Excellent jeans. I can't tell from the pic, but do yours have any minor 'pre distressing'. Those look similar to the 'antique' wash which has mild whiskers and honeycombs. It doesn't matter as far as fading goes though

16. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I can go either way. just throwing out an option. they are very good jeans for the money, selvage or otherwise.

17. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I searched here and elsewhere for info regarding Jil Sander's jeans. Anybody have comments regarding them (aside from the steep retail price)?

18. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

I searched here and elsewhere for info regarding Jil Sander's jeans. Anybody have comments regarding them (aside from the steep retail price)?
    I have a pair I'm selling. They have what I would call a slim straight cut, with very minor tapering (tapers about an inch or so from the knee to the hem). Quality is pretty good, no noticeable construction flaws etc. Can't comment on durability, never having actually worn them for a significant amount of time, but they're alright. Worth the retail price? Definitely not.

19. hpnas

hpnas Member

Making my first foray into raw denim. I'm live in NYC but won't have time to hit up Self Edge before I leave for San Fran on Friday so am going stop in the SF location. From what I saw on the 'Post pics of your denim' thread on here I saw a ton that I like:

APC NS
    Flathead F380 / F310
    Dry Bones SExDBxS09
    Real Japan Blues 106BSP
    Sugar Cane SExC06
    Iron Heart 301
    Imperial Dukes
    Pure Blue Jeans xx-005
    3sixteen SL-100x

I'm looking for a good slim straight entry level raw indigo that will have good fades over time. Unfortunately my desk job doesn't allow me to wear them day in and day out but intend to pick them up early in my trip and live in them for the whole week to get a good start on the break in. I'm ~175 lbs with pretty narrow legs, my thigh measures 23" and my calf 14.5".

Any of the above or others not mentioned are a good fit for my criteria? Price is not the most important thing

20. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

Since you are going there, try them on and see which ones fit best.