1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Maniak90

Maniak90 Member

you and i have a very similar waist and upper-thigh. im a 34 waist and need at least a 12" (BiG method) upper-thigh. keep in mind i am very biased and wear japanese selvage denim and some designer denim jeans. if i had to recommend brands, these are what i would look into -masion martin margiela straight leg - 10 collection. the nice thing about these is they are cut generous in the top block but are a low-rise so its very flattering up top and then tapers. you will have ~ 7.5" hem on a size 48 - 50 (32 - 34). here is a link from the mmm site: http://eboutique.maisonmartinmargiel...Q/areaid//sts/ -momotaro 0701/0705 cut. -ih 634 (more of a straight cut). -fh f380. -samurai 710 or 500 cut. -eternal 811 *all of the above will have at least a 12" upper-thigh on a size 33 or 34 (after washing).
    Thanks again for this! I've been using the search function and reading around a bit more these few days. I had another look at these jeans you suggested and im interested about the samurai 710, the momotaro, and the eternal 811 jeans. I'm really surprised that their thigh measurements were really about an inch larger than other jeans (around 13"). I measured my upper thigh at its thickest part and it stands at about 24.5- 25" so i THINK these jeans should be quite comfortable in the thighs/ass? Also, if im not mistaken, ill need a size 34 for these jeans correct? (Also heard good things about Samurai 5000VX?) I guess i'm kind of scared of taking the plunge. 300+ for a pair of jeans is pretty crazy for me. Would it be good to look into 2nd hand? Or would a cheaper alternative (for around $130) be good... i've found some jeans that MIGHT suit me - Nudie Big Bengt. Good idea? Bad idea? PS. If i do get second hand, i'm guessing i just gotta look for jeans that aren't too worn in yet (ie. creases and fades havent accustomed to the original owner). What about washing / soaking, i know that has an effect on the sizing but as long as i match the sizes based off the selfedge website, i shud be good to go right?

2. porschemad911

porschemad911 Senior member

Man, I give up on Levi's 514 sizing. I'm a 32 true waist, had a darkish washed pair in 32 made in Sri Lanka, waist was too loose. Bought another slightly lighter washed pair in 31 made in Mexico, perfect fit, waist nice and snug. But I really wanted something darker so bought a 31 tumbled rigid made in Bangladesh, hoping it would fit like the 31 above. Nope, about as loose as the first 32 I had. [​IMG] ... I give up, not even going to try my luck with a tumbled rigid 30, will just keep the washed 31, get rid of the other 2 and wear my rigid size 32 511 which fits perfectly. Anyone else had 514 sizing all over the place, or was I just unlucky?

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Anyone else had 514 sizing all over the place, or was I just unlucky?

I have a pair of 33 that fit pretty good to just a little big, a pair of 33 that are way too large and fall off constantly without a belt, and a pair of 32 that are also way too large. So no, not just you... Although I recently lost some weight, about 2" on the waist, and now I'm thinking the 514 fit is too baggy anyways [​IMG]

4. Stalky

Stalky Member

I have always bought 34 waist jeans but I think I may only be a 32 or so. I like slim fitting jeans. Can anyone reccomend a nice pair in Australia that isn't too expensive? My current pair are Calvin Klein I got them for $90 on sale (the RRP is $179 I believe) and they are a very nice slim fit but i am not sure on the quality as they now have a hole in the knee and are a bit saggy in the bum.

5. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

I have always bought 34 waist jeans but I think I may only be a 32 or so. I like slim fitting jeans. Can anyone reccomend a nice pair in Australia that isn't too expensive? My current pair are Calvin Klein I got them for $90 on sale (the RRP is $179 I believe) and they are a very nice slim fit but i am not sure on the quality as they now have a hole in the knee and are a bit saggy in the bum.

try google.

6. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

My Crate x SF jean has gone through a crotch repair but still is my favorite fitting pair of jeans.

What's a similar cut to those on the higher end of the spectrum around a 33/34W--Somet 003's were fantastic quality but rise is way too low, even with stretch. Not looking for super heavy weight, but Pure blue/Momotaro 0701/Strike Gold/Samurai 710/etc suggestions appreciated.

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I'll check them out. I'm certainly not looking to spend that much per se, but I just felt I was willing to spend that much (as I live in them) if something lovely caught my eye. do you have any advice on the weight of the denim? is 18oz particularly heavy and how does that affect them?
    Maybe I'm just used to heavier denim by now, but I don't find that 18 oz. feels heavy to me. For me, denim doesn't start to feel really heavy until you get to around 23 oz., other than in the middle of summer. But if you're used to 10-12 oz. denim like on most cheaper brands, you may be in for an adjustment.
    Can anybody recommend some slim fit bootcut jeans? Thanks!
    Samurai 512 is a slim fitting boot cut from a good, reputable brand. I hear it runs a little bit small compared to their other models, so that may be something to keep in mind for sizing if you are interested in it.

8. Triffis

Triffis Member

Hey, just a question from a newbie here.

I'm wondering if you can still get nice fade and comb/whisker pattern on one-wash jeans. My reason for asking is I'm looking at getting Eternal 883s that have one-wash, but I still want to get some hardcore fade and patterning.

Thanks [​IMG]

9. commodorewheeler

Hey, just a question from a newbie here.

I'm wondering if you can still get nice fade and comb/whisker pattern on one-wash jeans. My reason for asking is I'm looking at getting Eternal 883s that have one-wash, but I still want to get some hardcore fade and patterning.

Thanks [​IMG]

Yeah, you sure can. A one-wash jean is basically the same thing as a raw unsanforized jean that has been soaked once. There are usually some random small creases in the denim that you see on a one-wash that you might not get with just soaking, but other than that, they are pretty much the same thing.

10. Korppu

Korppu Member

So I'd like to buy a few nice pair of jeans... But I have a few problems.

My legs are quite large... [​IMG] Currently I use these jeans size 38: http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Indig...px?iid=1441530

Those are very baggy and don't fit at all on the leg. I bought those because actually, I once bought slim jeans size 36, but they were horrible

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Twiste...rt=-1&clr=Blue

Tthey were so tight! I could hardly put them on and I could hardly bend over (well I actually couldn't, the one time I did proper bend over the jeans broke [​IMG] ). Looking at the sizing those jeans have a 91 centimeter waist, which is not obviously enough.

So what kind of jeans would be good for me that would be a slim fit of some sort? I'd like to be able to bend over etc tho [​IMG] I've been looking at some Nudies and even APC's but I'm afraid to use slim fit jeans since I don't know if they'll fit properly (or have big enough sizing)! Are there any fine looking jeans for large-legged people like me?!

11. htrieu

htrieu Senior member

I'm looking for a pair of black jeans, slim fit, tapered. Suggestions?

12. commodorewheeler

So I'd like to buy a few nice pair of jeans... But I have a few problems.

My legs are quite large... [​IMG] Currently I use these jeans size 38: http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Indig...px?iid=1441530

Those are very baggy and don't fit at all on the leg. I bought those because actually, I once bought slim jeans size 36, but they were horrible

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Twiste...rt=-1&clr=Blue

Tthey were so tight! I could hardly put them on and I could hardly bend over (well I actually couldn't, the one time I did proper bend over the jeans broke [​IMG] ). Looking at the sizing those jeans have a 91 centimeter waist, which is not obviously enough.

So what kind of jeans would be good for me that would be a slim fit of some sort? I'd like to be able to bend over etc tho [​IMG] I've been looking at some Nudies and even APC's but I'm afraid to use slim fit jeans since I don't know if they'll fit properly (or have big enough sizing)! Are there any fine looking jeans for large-legged people like me?!

If you are large-legged, slim cut jeans probably won't fit you that well. I would look regular straight cuts if you don't want something that is too baggy.

What price range are you looking in?

13. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

14. htrieu

htrieu Senior member

price range? best bang for the buck is prob these EPs: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ght-Leg/Detail or these 3sixteens: http://shop.3sixteen.com/collections...black-selvedge but there are a bunch of other options if youre willing to spend 200-300; theres also overdye, coated, etc
    Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Both of them look really nice. I'm willing to spend up to $300 if need be to find that perfect fit/wash. Not really sure what to look for in terms of black denim.. What are your thoughts on raw black denim as opposed to something like this? BTW the rag and bones fit badly on me. The bottom leg flares out too much, not enough taper.

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

BUMP - Anyone?

I'm looking for suggestions for brands/cuts to try, because I'm not having a lot of luck. N&F Slim Guys are a perfect cut for me, but my wife hates the position of the pocket on my butt - there's a lot of space between the top of the jean and the top of the pocket, as a result the pocket sits too low on my ass and bugs her. She feels the same way about any pockets that are so long they extend past the bottom of my butt (like a pair of Ted Baker jeans that I have). I also have a pair of 7s that have the perfect combo of pocket size and position with cut, but now I want something in a dark selvedge denim.

So - I'm looking for something with a similar cut to the Slim Guy, with higher pockets. Also, I prefer little to no pocket detailing (ironically, given the 7s and TBs, but there ya go).

Suggestions?

Thanks!

16. seaslugs

seaslugs Member

What brands have small back pockets? The only one I know of so far is APC, but I would like alternatives.

It sucks having no butt.

17. abcdenim

abcdenim Senior member

I'm looking for a pair of black jeans, slim fit, tapered. Suggestions?

check out naked and famous weird guy fit, they're a tapered fit and they have black selvedge. really nice man defs recommended

18. Korppu

Korppu Member

If you are large-legged, slim cut jeans probably won't fit you that well. I would look regular straight cuts if you don't want something that is too baggy.

What price range are you looking in?

Anything from 50 to 130 euros is what I can pay.

19. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

What brands have small back pockets? The only one I know of so far is APC, but I would like alternatives.

It sucks having no butt.

How about these?

[​IMG]

20. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Do you guys have any recommendations for a relatively slim (31" true waist, 10" rise, 15" leg opening) brand of jeans that doesn't cost as much as APC NS (I guess I would be a 28 in NS), or N&F Slim Guy? To be perfectly honest, I don't really care about having raw denim (don't like fading, aesthetically; prefer dark indigo) or selvedge construction.

Any suggestions for under $100? Levis 511 is too slim. Levis 514 is too baggy.

Sorry for such a noob question.

Uniqlo S002

Can anybody recommend some slim fit bootcut jeans?

Thanks!

Imperial Kings and Nudie Regular (R)Alfs are both fairly slim if you size them appropriately.