I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. captmomo

captmomo Senior member

Does anyone own a pair of ande whall slackers and could oblige me by posting up a fit pic?
    Thighs are usually the main problem in the way a jeans fits for me due to soccer.

2. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

Yep.. that was one thing I couldn't get my head around reading the long thread. So does this mean that even if I do shrink them either in the tub or the wash they will just stretch back out?

think about you just said real hard and then realize how you're not making any sense

3. k6s

k6s Member

think about you just said real hard and then realize how you're not making any sense
    Not sure what the problem is. I'm just asking if these pants will stretch out a lot. Does raw denim stretch in the same way normal jeans do? I thought they didn't, and that was the whole point of shrinking them in the tub. I mean Jesus..

4. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

raw denim in general doesn't shrink more or less compared to any other denim, it really depends on the type of denim you're looking at (where it comes from ect)

that's why making broad blanket statements about stretch or whatever won't do you any good

you have to look at each brand (or even pair of jeans) and figure out how the fabric was treated prior to you buying it. if you buy sanforized denim, then a soak/wash won't do any significant shrinking to your jeans

if you wear your jeans they will stretch, just take a pair of old jeans and see if any one pair actually still has the tagged size. probably none, same with other jeans (in the end the fabric is basically the same) so when you wash your jeans typically they will shrink down again a bit, but wearing them of course will stretch them back out again until they are comfortable

now raw denim is heavily starched which gives it at first a very hard feeling. so if you don't want that, just soak your jeans to get rid of the starching so you have a nice pliable pair of jeans from the get go

5. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

I have 2 pairs of raw denim - Nudie Straight Sven in 28 and APC New Standards in 27. Both pairs are falling apart so I'm ready for my third pair. I prefer the fit of the SSDS over the New Standards. I think the SSDS have a little more room in the thigh and crotch area plus they don't taper like the New Standards. Anyway, any suggestions? I live in DC so have easy access to farinelli's and denim bar. I'd prefer to try something on in the store before buying.

so what's the point of this post?[​IMG]

6. MallyMall7

MallyMall7 Member

I love the way Levi's fit and currently only have 1-2 pairs of jeans that aren't 514s or some sort of Levi's. I stumbled upon Levi's 514 Raw Headbanger Jeans and was wondering if anyone has any experience in these and how i should size them. any positive or negative feelings towards them?

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham Active Member

so what's the point of this post?[​IMG]
    what should i look at that are similar in fit to straight svens?

8. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I recently bought a pair of STF Levis, and I sized up to anticipate shrinkage. I wore them in a tub with hot water for about 30 minutes, then sat around in them until they were damp. They're still too big in my waist (about an inch or so), they look too long, and the hem of the leg is really wide and looks like it would consume my shoe. I'm wondering... can I fix this by putting them in the dryer? If so, on what settings and for long should I do this? Or do I just need to go a size down?

Thanks.

9. MallyMall7

MallyMall7 Member

I recently bought a pair of STF Levis, and I sized up to anticipate shrinkage. I wore them in a tub with hot water for about 30 minutes, then sat around in them until they were damp. They're still too big in my waist (about an inch or so), they look too long, and the hem of the leg is really wide and looks like it would consume my shoe. I'm wondering... can I fix this by putting them in the dryer? If so, on what settings and for long should I do this? Or do I just need to go a size down?

Thanks.

what size up from and what did you size up to? im just curious about levi's shrinkage as well.

10. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

On levi stf's i'd get the waist you wear, length add 2". If not they'll be too big and baggy.

11. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

what should i look at that are similar in fit to straight svens?

how about you wear your damn jeans go to the stores and ask the salespeople if they can offer you anything in a similar cut?

- now was that so hard to come up with all by yourself?

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham Active Member

how about you wear your damn jeans go to the stores and ask the salespeople if they can offer you anything in a similar cut?

- now was that so hard to come up with all by yourself?

wow friendly people on this board.

1) There are lots of lines that Farinelli's or Denim Bar don't carry. If there is something out there that fits like I want but isn't carried by any stores locally I would like to know. Also, if there is something that is a good fit that is carried by a local store I would like to do some research ahead of time. i.e. I don't want to walk into the store blind.

2) My nudies are ripped in the grundle area. I'm waiting for Nudie to send me some fabric so I can get them fixed. Can't wear them until then.

13. connor

connor Senior member

farinelli's doesnt have a retail location anymore. all online.

what kind of fit is the straight sven?

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham Active Member

farinelli's doesnt have a retail location anymore. all online.
    oh wow had no idea. I bought my APC's at Farinelli's in Arlington almost a year ago.

it is a straight cut with a rise that is on the lower side of the spectrum I think. I'm not too familiar with what else is out there and what is considered a normal rise.

15. connor

connor Senior member

maybe look into some of the LVC 501s, 66? idk