• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the following:

Jean Shop Heavyweight 15oz denim

or

Jean Shop 13.5oz Resin coated denim

I already own a pair of Jean Shop 13.5oz Raws.

Thoughts?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Again..any suggestions on some white/cream colored denim?

Those "natural" colored RRLs looked good.

I have a pair of khaki 501stf that now look more of a cream/natural color after I soaked them in hot oxyclean for 3 hours followed by a second almost 24 hour soak...(oxyclean never leads to color loss on my shirts...).

I'm kind of sad and wish I could buy another pair in khaki but I like the new creamy color.

Branches

Reaction score
I got a pair of jeans at j.crew (Don't hate they were free) yesterday, and they have that raw indigo, no frills, color.

However I'm not sure if they are actually raw, one-wash, or just a rinse. Is there a definitive test for this?

They don't feel very ridged.

Rolfi

Reaction score
yeah wash em hot and see if they shrink, or just ask the salesperson

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Branches
I got a pair of jeans at j.crew (Don't hate they were free) yesterday, and they have that raw indigo, no frills, color.

However I'm not sure if they are actually raw, one-wash, or just a rinse. Is there a definitive test for this?

They don't feel very ridged.

probably just a dark rinse. afaik jcrews only raw jeans are the lvc they sell

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ugh so my quest to replace my apcs continues. I got a pair of Eternals and Sugar Canes but found out I cannot deal with a longer rise, the thigh and everything felt fine but a longer rise didn't work on me. I need a straight fit like the apcs but with the same size rise. Maybe I should just buy a size larger in my apc size and deal with it.

k6s

Reaction score
Found selvage jeans at the Gap and not sure what to do with them. They feel good to me but maybe they could be a touch tighter - one size down I could barely close them so I went with these. Don't have a camera but from the lurking I've done I get the feeling people here might think they're a bit baggy. To be honest, I'm okay with how they fit as long as they don't stretch out too much.

I guess my question is how much I can expect these to stretch, and how would you go about shrinking these (wash them in hot water?)

Been reading a bit about selvage (= raw denim?) jeans and these were a pair I could afford on a pretty tight student budget. Thought they'd be nice to experiment with as a first pair.

Thanks!

Rolfi

Reaction score
there are tons of jeans that have selvedge but aren't raw

k6s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rölfi
there are tons of jeans that have selvedge but aren't raw

Yep.. that was one thing I couldn't get my head around reading the long thread. So does this mean that even if I do shrink them either in the tub or the wash they will just stretch back out?

Badger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Badger
Its my 18th on wednesday so Im gonna be getting a fair amount of cash (hopefully), so I thought I'd treat myself to some new things, including a pair of jeans perhaps. Im a fairly big through-out build, with my actual waist about 35 (if i lost the bit of weight Ive gained from excessive drinking, it'd probably be about 34). I currently wear a pair of Nudie Average Joes, which are a really nice pair of jeans and i wear them most days (owned since Oct '09, still aint washed), however I was looking for something a bit more tapered from the knee down if you know what I mean. Skinnys and slim fits are not for me. I have big thigh and calf muscles from sports etc so they just look wrong. Anyone know of any jeans that are not so tapered at the thigh but get more so from the knee down? Thanks in advance.
So someone suggested Naked and Famous Weird Guys to me and they do sound like something that could suit the description of what Im after, however I've read that N&F denim isnt all that great, and at £130 (selfridges London, only place I can see selling them instore that I could get to), its a lot of money. Just wondering if there are any other suggestions too, thanks.
Still looking for any help here if possible please guys.

tellure

Reaction score
If you have big calves I would not recommend the N&F WeirdGuys. They have a 7" leg opening which is pretty darn slim. I wear a size 30 in N&F and they were too tight for my calves, which are only moderate.

The SlimGuys aren't too tight in the calves but I dunno if they would work for you in the thigh if you're really built.

Not sure what to recommend here since I'm not a denim expert, just wanted to pass on the comment about N&F Weirdguys.

Still looking for any help here if possible please guys.

tellure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
tellure, a lot of companies have black coated denim. also on self edge check out the 3sixteen black coateds

Good point on the 3Sixteen's. I did look at those but they seem very skinny.. 7.1" leg opening in my size:

3sixteen_slim_black_01_01.jpg

So I guess my question is: does anyone know of any black jeans that fade to indigo in straight or somewhat-slim cuts?

Phat Ham

Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of raw denim - Nudie Straight Sven in 28 and APC New Standards in 27. Both pairs are falling apart so I'm ready for my third pair. I prefer the fit of the SSDS over the New Standards. I think the SSDS have a little more room in the thigh and crotch area plus they don't taper like the New Standards. Anyway, any suggestions? I live in DC so have easy access to farinelli's and denim bar. I'd prefer to try something on in the store before buying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads