Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. connor

connor Senior member

He came in looking for Nudie help. No one helped him, they just told him to get apcs. Why are you surprised he's getting nudies?

i gave him advice from personal experience. he should look into APC cutwise too because neither of those Nudie cuts are close to what he wants

2. gordon jraber

gordon jraber Well-Known Member

looking for a nice pair of jeans to wear in the summer. something slim but not skinny and not baggy. im in texas and not only is it hot (the temperature is usually around 100F) but it's also super humid.

any recommendations?

3. MallyMall7

MallyMall7 Member

Hi im new here and to the in depth world of denim in general. i am a fan of Levis 514s and 511s as well as some of their premium stuff but id like to get my feet wet in the ocean of raw denim.

with that being said i know that raw denim sizes are different from regular washed jeans. i usually wear 30-32 around the waist with 30 fitting tight, 31 feeling perfectly snug, and 32 requiring a belt. length wise 30 needs to be sagged a bit and 32 needs to be cuffed. im 5'8 and 135lbs. my favorite color jeans are dark blue (indigo?) and shades of gray.

now my questions, what brands to you guys suggest for a noob like me who doesnt wanna break the bank but wants respectable jeans to start off in? also, what sizing should i be looking in raw denim and the suggested jeans(if different brands run unique in sizing like shoes)?

much thanks in advance

ok i was told to do a bit of research for myself and to come back with a more specific brand or question. well here i have a pair of cheap mondays:

http://www.poptheshop.com/servlet/th...outique/Detail

i hear the brand is excellent and cheap for beginners and im totally down i just need help with sizing. my levi sizing is in the quote above. anyone with cheap monday experience willing to throw some advice this way?

thanks

4. connor

connor Senior member

cheap monday really wont be much of a foray into raw denim. i'd try to find at least a pair of APCs. you want to go down to probably sz28 APCs, watch the BST on here for a pair. theres one for 90 bucks right now if you want a 32" inseam

5. MallyMall7

MallyMall7 Member

ok i looked into the APCs but i doubt i'll get them, depending on the other offers but im still looking to purchase the pair of cheap mondays so anymore advice on sizing or any other denim is welcome. im a sponge [​IMG]

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

looking for a nice pair of jeans to wear in the summer. something slim but not skinny and not baggy. im in texas and not only is it hot (the temperature is usually around 100F) but it's also super humid. any recommendations?
    Yes. I'm in Philly and it's silly, stinky hot and humid. The only jeans I've been able to tolerate of my dozen or so this summer are my LVC '47s and Sugar Cane 2009 slim '47 cut. Both are pretty slim. Both are 12oz pre-shrink. The SC's are a nice loose-ish weave, and pretty phenomenal jeans. Self Edge has the Sugar Cane one-wash. BiG has the raws. I got the one wash and there really isn't any shrink. (word to the wise - the ones I got were a 30w, which were actually +31"w when new and stretch easily to 32. Downsizing is recommended.)

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

He came in looking for Nudie help. No one helped him, they just told him to get apcs. Why are you surprised he's getting nudies?

Man nobody reads anything, you should know 200 posts in.

8. halisray

halisray Senior member

i gave him advice from personal experience. he should look into APC cutwise too because neither of those Nudie cuts are close to what he wants

actually the grim tim is exactly what I want and is pretty much the same cut as Levi 511s - I measured [​IMG] thanks for the help and I will look into APCs as well.. I plan on buying a couple pairs of jeans.

9. Strombollii

Strombollii Senior member

Man nobody reads anything, you should know 200 posts in.

Sometimes I try to convince myself that once, just once, someone will

10. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

This is sort of an odd question but...

Do you guys wear your jeans below or above the waistband of your underwear?

11. connor

connor Senior member

usually below so theres something between my jeans and actual waist

12. tellure

tellure Senior member

Just wondering what is out there in jeans that fade from black to indigo.

I see SelfEdge has the SEXIH07BK (Overdyed Black) which, according to the description:

"has been overdyed black with a fugitive pigment dye which is an unstable and un-permanent dye that fades to later show the indigo denim underneath. Essentially this is a denim that begins black and fades to indigo in high friction areas"

[​IMG]

However at $445 and with only a size 40 remaining they don't look too attractive.

Are there any more reasonably priced options out there for black denim that fades to indigo? Better yet, anyone have any pics?

13. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Again..any suggestions on some white/cream colored denim?

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Nom de Guerre

15. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

usually below so theres something between my jeans and actual waist

Same although I've been rethinking this because pinning them down there with my belt prevents wedginess later in the day.