1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mulansauce

mulansauce Distinguished Member

seems to me most men must own three pairs of jeans or variables within this context. The classic boot in an indigo base with slight wear. Probably paired with a button down woven, fit and color for another thread, this to be described as the dressy jean. The straight or 'pegged' cuff plenty of color options, black, grey or classic blue as another option, worn best either alone with a hoodie or a blazer over hoodie, for fashion sake layering always looks awesome. The last being the 'comfy jean' fit for the soccer players, meaning large upper leg. Worn in, holy even super casual, not to be worn in public but worn as needed.

How did you arrive at this?

2. datasupa

datasupa Senior Member

seems to me most men must own three pairs of jeans or variables within this context. The classic boot in an indigo base with slight wear. Probably paired with a button down woven, fit and color for another thread, this to be described as the dressy jean. The straight or 'pegged' cuff plenty of color options, black, grey or classic blue as another option, worn best either alone with a hoodie or a blazer over hoodie, for fashion sake layering always looks awesome. The last being the 'comfy jean' fit for the soccer players, meaning large upper leg. Worn in, holy even super casual, not to be worn in public but worn as needed.

Seems to me you have neither a jean nor a question, and are therefore in the wrong thread. Not to mention completely bananas.

3. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior Member

My first pair of raw denim was a pair of RRDS. I've had them for a year now and washed them once. They're starting to look pretty good. The only problem is that I've been working out a bit and they're now getting a bit tight despite having stretched out. I want to get a new pair of project jeans. I was thinking about getting 5EP low down boot this time around.

How do they compare in fit to the RRDS?

Is the sizing the same? I wear a 30x32 in RRDS and I could use a bit more room in the upper block. I don't know if I should get the 5EP's in 30 or 32 waist.

Also, how quickly do they wear in compared to Nudie jeans? I plan on washing this pair more frequently because I want to get them to a light blue quickly. I was thinking about going three months until the first time wash to let the whiskers and honeycombs develop a bit then wash every month after that.

Thanks

4. T0t

T0t Active Member

i have a pair of levi's 510 jeans (http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...hpush&color=91) people here confirmed they were raw and should therefore wear/fade like regular raw denim. i bought them about 6 months ago and have never washed them and i am starting to see some denim fade. anyway it's gotten to the point where i really want to wash as well as shrink the jeans. they've stretched out a lot and i've been wanting to shrink them since the day i bought them anyway. i also want to wash them because a) they're dirty and b) i really want to see some fading. i'd also like to starch them (i have liquid starch.. not the spraycan kind) because i really like the feel of rigid/raw denim, plus i heard it helps with fading and such. how would i go about doing this? would i wash them in cold water/hot water? pour starch into hot water and just leave them soaking? throw them in the dryer? (doesn't the dryer make denim softer though?... that would contradict the whole starching deal) etc. i've never really done anything like this before so it'd be cool if someone could help me out. thanks

5. breakz

breakz Distinguished Member

Is the sizing the same? I wear a 30x32 in RRDS and I could use a bit more room in the upper block. I don't know if I should get the 5EP's in 30 or 32 waist.

Also, how quickly do they wear in compared to Nudie jeans? I plan on washing this pair more frequently because I want to get them to a light blue quickly. I was thinking about going three months until the first time wash to let the whiskers and honeycombs develop a bit then wash every month after that.

Thanks

I sized down one on my LDB, onion sized down two, and we're both happy with our fits. I might regret sizing down only one in a few weeks though...

As for washing, its my understanding that 5EP's denim is harder to break than others.

6. breakz

breakz Distinguished Member

7. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior Member

I'm thinking about a pair of straight leg jeans from Helmut Lang. When I tried them on in NY, a 32 fits in the thighs/crotch but is loose at the waist; a 31 is tighter below but the waist fits. Do you recommend sizing down to the 31? I know w/ my Rescues I had it as tight as I could once buttoned up but now it's stretched to a wonderful fit - will the HL denim do the same?

8. nox

nox Well-Known Member

What length is good for cuffs?
    Will my raw denim turn out weird if I switch back and forth between cuff and stack?

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

What length is good for cuffs?
    Will my raw denim turn out weird if I switch back and forth between cuff and stack?

Some people go about 2" longer than their usual inseam to cuff. Somewhere around there has worked for me. People who always cuff usually get a nice white ring at the folding point when the cuff's undone. I've been mixing up from cuffed to uncuffed regularly on a pair for the past few months and have really only seen minor fading.

10. Nuff said

Nuff said Senior Member

11. buttonman

buttonman Senior Member

i think it would be nice if you could post those measurements in the official sizing thread. we need to keep that thread going so we don't need to ask for measurements and look for them all over the place

12. canvas01

canvas01 Senior Member

I got a pair of Nudie RRDG today and the measured inseam is an inch shorter than the tagged size. The length is good now, but I'm worried that with wear / washing they will become too short. Should I size up in inseam?

13. snailone

snailone Member

can anyone recommend a raw/selvedge jean similar to APC Rescues? I would like them to have similar cut, quality and fading properties... but without the excessive stretching of the waist.

I tried on the rescues in size 29. Very tight overall. I know the waist would eventually stretch to a comfortable size but the thighs/top box would still be too tight for my liking.

Alternatively, the size 30's fit perfect but since apc's are notorious for stretching, I am afraid they would end up too baggy.

I know that Nudies RRDS and possibly average joe's would work... but am not a huge fan of the back pocket detail. What other jeans are out there similar to the rescues but without the horrible 2-3 inch stretching of the waist?

preferably I would like to stay $200 or under... thanks for the input

14. Pilot

Pilot Distinguished Member

i'm so sick of my Cap e's matchstick rigids not fading. i washed them (no fading) and starched the crap out of them. i've been wearing them off and on for about 5 months. but now i'm wearing them whenever i'm home and everytime i go out. gotta get these things to fade. even changed my friends car's oil in them the other night.

15. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior Member

I've hot soaked New Standards twice but the waist (just the part with belt loops) is not shrinking!

???