1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. doublemazaa

doublemazaa Well-Known Member

2. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Senior member

Not too bad with the 20% off. I've always found Levis sizing to be pretty straightforward but others could probably tell you better.

3. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

I'm going to pick up some levis selvedge. http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4086260

Should I order to size or go up/down a size in waist and/or inseam.

The only thing I could contribute would be my experience w/ the 514
    I have only tried them tts, and they are too tight for my liking.
    If I would ever venture into 514 territory again, I'd likely size up one in the waist.
    So, for these, If I had to choose for myself, I'd likely go up one.

That being said...I never did give the 514s that much wear b/c of the tight waist/thighs
    They may eventually give up the ghost a bit.

nemaste

4. hnlax

hnlax Senior member

Looking for a Jean that fits like apc ps but has a bit higher rise. Any ideas?

5. DesertRain

DesertRain Member

Newb question...

This thread is clearly a wealth of information, and I'm willing to "do the work" and read through it... But before I do that, has anyone compiled a cheat sheet of info gleaned from this thread? Stuff like best brands to look for, jeans care, etc.

I recently bought a pair of 7FAM and though they're the best fitting jeans I've purchased so far, that's not saying much. From what I've read here, they're not such a great value for the money. Luckily I paid half retail, but my interest is piqued and I'm searching for guidance on what to look for next. I'm a pretty tall/slim dude (6'1, 165 lbs, 33" waist) looking for a more traditional look (not all that different from 7FAM, just higher quality).

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

^^ Actually in the process of a major compilation right now on all things Denim (assisted by whatever123). Give us a few weeks, and it'll all be made easy.

In the meantime, raw denim is the way you'll want to go. Look at websites like Self Edge or Blue in Green for your best denim options, find what looks decent and then ask questions to narrow it down.

7. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

if your price ceiling is less than $200, look at APC, Uniqlo, 3sixteen, Levis, Gap

if you're willing to pay more, your choices expand greatly. Ironheart, Triple Works, Momotaro, Eternal, RJB Japan, Pure Blue Japan, Somet, Rag & Bones, KMW and others come to mind. here on SF people prefer you to get selvedge jeans because they are higher quality. but if you just want a nice pair, just buy one that fits.

in terms of what style you're looking for, style forum approved cuts are straight legged or tapered. bootcuts are a no-no unless you wear honest to god boots that straight legged jeans can't go over.

soak your jeans in hot water 2x and then hang dry or cold soak prior to wearing to get rid of the excess starch. this also allows you to get higher contrasting fades, or smth. anyways just do it.

8. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Hello everyone,
    I just bought a Sisley selvedge indigo Jean, and on the label says "this garment has been only lightly washed". I love the color and wish it would stay like that for a while, but I could totally do with a little shinkring because it's half a size bigger than my size (I bought it dirt cheap, so didn't care much for that).
    ¿How can I tell if they will shrink and how it is supposed to be done properly?

P.S: sorry about all the not approved-SF stuff poured into these words.

If they've been washed at all, even "lightly", they probably won't shrink anymore. If you need more shrinkage, you could always try washing again and possibly even using the tumble dryer to dry, but even if you get more shrinkage then, the jeans will likely stretch back out to where they are now pretty quickly. In your position, I'd be prepared to wear these a bit loose.

9. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

any recommendations on a APC New standard type fit of jean - with better quality denimz and a bit bigger thigh room?

basically i need a slim straight leg jean with a taper, but a bit more rise and room in the thighs than the APC NS

10. Tesla

Tesla Member

If they've been washed at all, even "lightly", they probably won't shrink anymore. If you need more shrinkage, you could always try washing again and possibly even using the tumble dryer to dry, but even if you get more shrinkage then, the jeans will likely stretch back out to where they are now pretty quickly. In your position, I'd be prepared to wear these a bit loose.

Thanks for the answer Commodore!!

11. Funksy

Funksy Senior member

I have a pair of 3Sixteen SL-100x's in size 30, and like them for the most part. Looking at a pair of PBJ XX-007's one washes (in size 30, also), but I'm a little concerned about the rise. My nuts are already crying for more space and this is, if I'm reading it correctly, an entire inch shorter.

Thoughts?

12. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

I have a pair of 3Sixteen SL-100x's in size 30, and like them for the most part. Looking at a pair of PBJ XX-007's one washes (in size 30, also), but I'm a little concerned about the rise. My nuts are already crying for more space and this is, if I'm reading it correctly, an entire inch shorter. Thoughts?
    i dont get what your asking? are you asking if the rise is lower on the pbjs? if so, do a chart comparison. if your asking whether or not you need to get an even lower-rise cut if your current jeans are uncomfortable i think you know the answer to that, right?

13. Funksy

Funksy Senior member

i dont get what your asking? are you asking if the rise is lower on the pbjs? if so, do a chart comparison.

if your asking whether or not you need to get an even lower-rise cut if your current jeans are uncomfortable i think you know the answer to that, right?

The rise is listed on Self Edge as "rise", while the rise on BiG is listed as "front rise" and "back rise". Which one is Self Edge listing?

14. whatever123

The rise is listed on Self Edge as "rise", while the rise on BiG is listed as "front rise" and "back rise". Which one is Self Edge listing?

generally the front rise is listed with most retailers. big lists both.

15. Funksy

Funksy Senior member

generally the front rise is listed with most retailers. big lists both.

Thanks for the info.

I may have to go the next size up if they're going to be resting lower. I'll have to measure myself tonight.

16. whatever123

Thanks for the info. I may have to go the next size up if they're going to be resting lower. I'll have to measure myself tonight.
    if you have issues with low-rise jeans maybe consider a mid-rise. you may not want to size up on the pbjs because they stretch out a ton. maybe try something like the pbj straight, momotaro 0701/0705 or the samurai 710xx (these are my favorites), for a nice fitting mid-rise of higher lower-rise cut.

17. n1c3jack3t

n1c3jack3t Member

Want to grab a pair of Imperial Dukes...but how extreme are the back and front rises? I typically wear a little above, or at my hips. Would these feel really uncomfortable to me? I have a pair of bootcut barry's that have a crazy back rise that goes to a little above the middle of my back...not tryin' to go through that again!

18. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Want to grab a pair of Imperial Dukes...but how extreme are the back and front rises? I typically wear a little above, or at my hips. Would these feel really uncomfortable to me? I have a pair of bootcut barry's that have a crazy back rise that goes to a little above the middle of my back...not tryin' to go through that again!

The rise on the Dukes is pretty average for a mid rise jean. You should do fine with them if you wear them at or a little above your hips.

19. That's actually a pretty good price for chainstitch hemming in the US, most places charge $25-$30 per pair for that.

Wow. That's good to know, and they apparently opened up another location so I won't have to go all the way across the city, just half way. Probably going to stop by tomorrow and drop them off then.

20. DerAngriff

DerAngriff Active Member

I have a pair of Slim Jims that I bought ~1 month ago. I wear them 2x a week, on my days off from work, and they have yet to stretch. Off the rack, they fit smaller than other brands I've worn in the past. I've been told to size down 1 size with Nudie so that's what I did. A sz 30 usually fits me fine, but I sized down to a 30 for the Nudie as 31 was a perfect fit as is. I was never big into denim, and still isn't really. These are my first pair of dry jeans.

Thanks for the response.

As a 511 (sz34) owner - size down 1 on Nudie SJ's. Down 2 on APC NS's? Will most likely go the APC's as a buy first.