I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ffatt

ffatt Senior member

Hey fellas,

I am kind of new to denim and recently purchased a pair of APC NS. As I have been wearing them I noticed that the color outdoors seems kind of light. At first I did not notice, but when comparing them to say nudies or edwins (since they are in a similar price range) they seem much lighter and almost shiny. Do APCs use a low quality indigo or does it get darker after the first wash?

2. winston

winston Senior member

Here's a picture of a pretty girl to grab your attention. I want a pair of (men's) jeans in a grey colour like this or similar. Not too slim.
    Any recommendations?

[​IMG]

3. Flight Bird

Flight Bird Senior member

Here's a picture of a pretty girl to grab your attention. I want a pair of (men's) jeans in a grey colour like this or similar. Not too slim.
    Any recommendations?

[​IMG]

This is lol

4. giraffe lookout

giraffe lookout Senior member

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Anyone have a link online of some thread to repair jeans with? I wish to purchase some since my sugar canes in the crotch are starting to get worn...

Self Edge, Blue Owl and a place called Denim Doctors in LA all offer true denim-repair services, which you'll want if it's a crotch repair. Suggest you search threads for that or contact them directly.

Hey fellas,

I am kind of new to denim and recently purchased a pair of APC NS. As I have been wearing them I noticed that the color outdoors seems kind of light. At first I did not notice, but when comparing them to say nudies or edwins (since they are in a similar price range) they seem much lighter and almost shiny. Do APCs use a low quality indigo or does it get darker after the first wash?

APC denim is in fact lighter in color than most Japanese denim. It's not just the sheen of the denim or the starch causing that.

It probably has something to do with the quantity of dips in indigo, or the indigo dye and process. The better the indigo, and the more dips in the dye, the darker it becomes.

There's a devoted APC thread here too, which might give you more information.

6. winston

winston Senior member

Maiden Noir has cool denim about this color. Straight leg, mid rise.

http://www.maidennoir.com/denim/D7058C/Standard Fit

That's actually a good contender for what I want, although they're out of my size. [​IMG] Thanks.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Maiden Noir has cool denim about this color. Straight leg, mid rise.

http://www.maidennoir.com/denim/D7058C/Standard Fit

That was a great suggestion. That Maiden Noir line has some nice looking stuff. Thanks for turning me onto it.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

pretty much wear Dior homme exclusively these days because I haven't found anything I like the fit of better. but I kind of want to branch out and try other stuff.

any suggestions? I'm eyeing the KMW 1980's right now. probably gonna get basic raw indigo or black

9. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Hi guys,

I have been reading the posts on here and also searched specifically for info but haven't found much regarding what I am looking for. I do apologize if I have missed something and am asking the same questions..

I have just bought a pair of Spurr selvedge from Gilt. I went for my true waist size (as recommended by Mauro on a separate thread) and I think I made the right decision. Now..my question is - they are way too long for me so I'd need to alter the length. However, I am unsure as to when I should do it. I know I shouldn't wash them for 6 mths. Should I hem them first, wear for 6 mths, wash and have them shrunk, then hem them again? Or should I just hot/warm soak them from the get go and hopefully that'd shrink them once and for all then hem them? This newbie is rather confused... Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.

10. Lynx_the_one

Lynx_the_one Senior member

Hi guys,

I have been reading the posts on here and also searched specifically for info but haven't found much regarding what I am looking for. I do apologize if I have missed something and am asking the same questions..

I have just bought a pair of Spurr selvedge from Gilt. I went for my true waist size (as recommended by Mauro on a separate thread) and I think I made the right decision. Now..my question is - they are way too long for me so I'd need to alter the length. However, I am unsure as to when I should do it. I know I shouldn't wash them for 6 mths. Should I hem them first, wear for 6 mths, wash and have them shrunk, then hem them again? Or should I just hot/warm soak them from the get go and hopefully that'd shrink them once and for all then hem them? This newbie is rather confused... Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Soak 'em and hem 'em.

11. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Soak 'em and hem 'em.

Thanks. Safe to assume that soaking once would maximize shrinkage or should I do it a few times? I'd hate to hem them then have them shrink more [​IMG]

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Dryer on high

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Jeans can shrink a little more even after a soak. And even after a soak and a machine dry. But if you at least hot soak them, you'll get 95% of the shrinkage done. Then hem.

14. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

Dryer on high

Not everyone wants their jeans to be limp

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

It actually makes them crisp, as much or more than letting it air dry