I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. trafficjam

trafficjam Senior member

Getting jeans repaired. Wash before hand? They're not especially scuzzy or dirty, but I feel like a dick giving the tailor jeans that have been worn for a while if he's gonna be working with them.

2. eli88

eli88 Member

Getting jeans repaired. Wash before hand? They're not especially scuzzy or dirty, but I feel like a dick giving the tailor jeans that have been worn for a while if he's gonna be working with them.

Came here to ask something similar..

My APC NS are displaying signs of an imminent crotch blowout, so I want to get them reinforced before that happens. I've put 6 months of wear into them without any washes or soaks, and was wondering if I should wash them before getting repairs? I just don't want to fuck up the repair job after I give them their first wash.

3. TerryWogan

TerryWogan Member

I'd definitely wash them beforehand if only to spare the poor bastard who has to handle them for a number of hours. Also, if the person fixing them thinks "I'm not touching those horrible stinking jeans", they might wash them for you, and that probably won't end well. I'd wash them yourself and add a note explaining they've been washed and you don't want them to be washed again.

There are a few horror stories of tailors and fixers washing your hard work away by throwing them in the machine.

4. eli88

eli88 Member

Well, the fixer is the owner of a local boutique, so he isn't some 10$ dry cleaning hack, but I think I'll give them a wash anyway. I've been itching to see some fades anyway!

5. geeti

geeti Active Member

hi guys,

got a question here. Is there a way to avoid indigo running into light-colored shoes or perhaps minimize the color transfer? I have a pair of white shoes which I don't wear any longer because I don't to spoil the color.

Or is it something to live with when you wear raw denim?

6. Francis91

Francis91 Senior member

hi guys,

got a question here. Is there a way to avoid indigo running into light-colored shoes or perhaps minimize the color transfer? I have a pair of white shoes which I don't wear any longer because I don't to spoil the color.

It will be something you have to live with. People have mentioned before that you can cuff the jeans to avoid it but I've found that when I do, it still happens.

7. TerryWogan

TerryWogan Member

It stops happening eventually. I only really notice it for the first month or two, then it tends to stop, unless you get rained on or something.

8. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I have a jean from the Levi's Engineered line, and it's made with 16% lyocell. I really like the character of the denim; it's kind of rough and slubby, and it doesn't crease the way 100% cotton denim does.

Does anyone know of a nicer pair of jeans that uses lyocell or something similar? Preferably something a little nicer (and ideally selvage)?

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Good stuff won't disintegrate in 9 months of wear. Basically, any kind of higher-end denim will stand up to a lot of abuse
    The answer is in your question
    , my young grasshopper. As for fits, email Blue in Green and Self Edge and ask for suggestions on slim tapered or slim straight cuts with a mid-rise. Unless you have a specific body-type fit issue, there's dozens of options in all types of denims and weights. Also, look at the denim 'waywt/evo' threads here and especially at Superfuture/Superdenim, like this and this to see what fits look like...(every brand has it's own thread too). Learning is fun!
    Well, I'd say wash too, but it depends on what needs repair. Washing can subject weak spots to enormous stress, exacerbating the problem. If it's a rip, it can cause the fresh, ripped edges to fray, making a less-clean repair edge. Crotch blowouts can get much worse. Suggest a simple hot soak for an hour. Wash after repair.
    hi guys, got a question here. Is there a way to avoid indigo running into light-colored shoes or perhaps minimize the color transfer? I have a pair of white shoes which I don't wear any longer because I don't to spoil the color. Or is it something to live with when you wear raw denim?
    Agreed w/Francis. other than cuffing (which only helps a little) and taping around the inside circumference (yes, it's done...), there's not much else except reevaluate your choice of footwear for a while.

10. blynch

blynch Senior member

hi guys,

I was able to drastically reduce indigo stains by taking a damp rag and rubbing inside the jean where they would contact shoes. Not a 100% thing, but helped considerably.

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I was able to drastically reduce indigo stains by taking a damp rag and rubbing inside the jean where they would contact shoes. Not a 100% thing, but helped considerably.

Do you cuff? Did that help get shoe dirt off the denim at the crease? Hate that shit.

12. blynch

blynch Senior member

13. eli88

eli88 Member

What's the difference between a hot soak and a cold soak (aside from the temperature [​IMG])?

14. ice86x

ice86x Senior member

I have these jeans

These are measurements I took

32 inch waist
    8 inch rise
    10 inch thigh
    7 inch knee
    8 inch leg opening
    31 inch inseam

any similar cuts?

15. ysb