I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

From the guide on breaking in raw denimz (search it). I bet it was taken from SuFu, as the top left were. The top right are Warehouse 1001xx beautiful I know[​IMG]

EDIT: URL TO GUIDE IS http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=68358

well then just cop yourself some warehouse jeans. i have a pair of PBJ and they're just as slubby as the first day i got em.

slub doesn't go away through wear, but if you buy a pair of hairy denim that will obviously change over time.

here's a pic of mine
    [​IMG]

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

From the guide on breaking in raw denimz (search it). I bet it was taken from SuFu, as the top left were. The top right are Warehouse 1001xx beautiful I know[​IMG]

EDIT: URL TO GUIDE IS http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=68358

Yeah, I had forgotten about this ^ thread. It's a must-read.

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

well then just cop yourself some warehouse jeans. i have a pair of PBJ and they're just as slubby as the first day i got em. slub doesn't go away through wear, but if you buy a pair of hairy denim that will obviously change over time. here's a pic of mine
    Slub does wear down over time, it'll become smooth....er

4. Flight Bird

Flight Bird Senior member

well then just cop yourself some warehouse jeans. i have a pair of PBJ and they're just as slubby as the first day i got em.

slub doesn't go away through wear, but if you buy a pair of hairy denim that will obviously change over time.

here's a pic of mine
    [​IMG]

What model is that? How many wears aprox.?

5. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

coming close to a year soon and multiple soaks and washes (like around 7 or so)

6. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

Slub does wear down over time, it'll become smooth....er

true but in the end it's just the threads becoming softer, the little knobs and streaks still stay the same [​IMG]

7. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

What's a pair of jeans that fit like the Levis 510 but are more forgiving in the crotch area?

8. wonderboy

wonderboy Member

Sizing guide on Levis 514 please?

I'm from Malaysia and the shops here don't sell any 514.
    Decided to order it online but unable to try on the sizing, I'd like to ask for some sizing help.

So I'm wearing 34x34 for 501 (shorten the inseam by 2 inches), what size should I get for 514?
    From some reading I've done on the 514 thread, lotsa owner complained about the stretching...so shall I follow my 501 size (34x34) or shall I go smaller by 1 (33x32, 32 on the inseams since i'm gonna shorten it by 2 inches if I'm getting a 34 inseam anyway)?

Some help pls? Thanks in advance!

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Sizing guide on Levis 514 please?

I'm from Malaysia and the shops here don't sell any 514.
    Decided to order it online but unable to try on the sizing, I'd like to ask for some sizing help.

So I'm wearing 34x34 for 501 (shorten the inseam by 2 inches), what size should I get for 514?
    From some reading I've done on the 514 thread, lotsa owner complained about the stretching...so shall I follow my 501 size (34x34) or shall I go smaller by 1 (33x32, 32 on the inseams since i'm gonna shorten it by 2 inches if I'm getting a 34 inseam anyway)?

Some help pls? Thanks in advance!

So you're asking if the stretching of 514s is enough to justify sizing down one?

I've found I always wore the same size in both 501 and 514. Same denim, so it'll stretch the same. If you're happy with 34w in 501, get the same. Why not get a 34w, 32" inseam and save yourself the alteration hassle?

10. wonderboy

wonderboy Member

So you're asking if the stretching of 514s is enough to justify sizing down one?

I've found I always wore the same size in both 501 and 514. Same denim, so it'll stretch the same. If you're happy with 34w in 501, get the same. Why not get a 34w, 32" inseam and save yourself the alteration hassle?

Ok done with the inseam. But wouldn't the infamous stretching issue applies here?
    I don't know because it seems like many of the owners are facing such problem and this puzzled me the most and is holding back my order.

But what if my currently owned 501 stretched after a few wears...shall I go one down for 514 in this instance?

11. blynch

blynch Senior member

Ok done with the inseam. But wouldn't the infamous stretching issue applies here? I don't know because it seems like many of the owners are facing such problem and this puzzled me the most and is holding back my order. But what if my currently owned 501 stretched after a few wears...shall I go one down for 514 in this instance?
    if your 501s fit perfect, get the same size. If they are stretched out and an inch big in the waist, get the 33.

12. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

i'm currently rocking a pair of Naked&Famous SkinnyGuy (32 waste) in indigo. i love em, but they're getting too skinny with my changing style. that, and i popped the top button off of them while stretching them (the unfortunate event happened about a month into their life) and the crotch is starting to weaken.
    any recommendations on a midpriced (below $150) pair that is looser fitting and more forgiving in the crotch (likely a slim fit). i've seen a lot of people mentioning levis around here - any fits i should be aware of?
    also, i like wearing them in myself.

thanks gents,
    chris

13. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

^ I'm guess the Weird Guy is a little roomier in the crotch.

Levis that gets the most love is the 1947 501 STF.

14. blynch

blynch Senior member

8-8.5" hem is probably realistic for a 33w. Post-shrink. Rise dimensions, like thigh dimension can't be considered alone as a determining factor for the fit of jeans. Be careful letting yourself use that to choose a cut. The leg proportion and rises act together. The difference between back and front rises is what will make the top block feel low or high fitting. It's frustrating that so many size charts don;t list all five critical dimensions. To your point, inseam is often the least important dimension.

Depending on how faithful the individual manufacturer is to doing true 'repro', you'll see a lot of variety in their interpretations of something like a '47 or '66 cut. The warehouse 660 is a pretty traditional '66 except for the lower rise. They;re a close match for the Skull 5507. I love both.

Scuttlebutt says that a Skull restock is coming. They're even out of stock on Rakuten.jp right now.

Thanks again for the model advice. Looks like BiG is getting a 5507 restock the 28th. Already planning the purchase.

This will be my first pair of unsanforized denim, not totally sure on sizing. My true waist is ~33.5", for reference I have a size 31 KMW 2010 and size 33 AW Cougar(measure 33.5" and 34" waist) both fit pretty close to ideal in the top block (except the back rise is higher than desired) but both are a little too snug in the thigh.

I'm thinking size 32 in the skulls which measures 34.5" (according to BiG) would shrink to 33" and then stretch out to about a perfect fit. Does that seem right? Also not sure on inseam shrinkage for these particular jeans, and I'll probably have BiG hem them.

15. Bob01

Bob01 Senior member

Soon to be upgrading to a side by side refridgerat
    Think about purchasing this Denim Jacket... Levis Big E...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What would you pair with this jacket? I would imagine something like cords or perhaps much darker jeans would be ideal? I don't notice jean jackets wore that often...or it could be that I just dont notice them anymore...how would you go about wearing this?