I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

Thanks for the informative response! I actually went to Blue in Green yesterday after work and picked up the 811s in size 31, which I also wear in my Momotaro 0201. I went with the one-wash since I would have soaked and shrunk them anyway, so why not make my life easier? They didn't have the S0500xx in my size and I had been waiting for months for a restock. While waiting I investigated the 811 more closely and decided that they did what I wanted my next pair to do. I wanted something that was pretty close to the fit of my 0201 (which I love), but may be a touch slimmer. I think the 811 does this. I needed a reasonable rise and long inseam since I'm 6'3". I think going for a size 31 is considered sizing down since my waist is actually a 32, so they need a little bit of stretching still. They're tight in the waist, but not killing me. I was told at the store that they'll stretch 1"-1.5", which should be good. The Momotaros are also tight when washed, but stretch to a perfect size after a little while. I don't find the top to be too loose, but you can see a little flare only because the waist is a bit tight relative to the rest of the top. Once they stretch and relax a little, I think it will be fine.

Maybe in another year or more when I buy my next pair I'll revisit the S0500xx or the F380 also looks good. The f380 rise is slightly lower and the thigh might be a touch too slim for me though.

I do like the price on the Eternals, which I think is a great value compared to the S0500xx and that made it easier to choose.

I'm looking forward to enjoying these along with my 0201s, which still have years of life left since they're wearing incredibly well after about a year (7 months-ish of wear).

Thanks,
    Ian

Get both.

811s have a totally unique fit. It's a roomy anti-fit top-block paired with a slim straight leg. It likes to be worn higher than low. Many love the hip-flare that comes with this cut, as do I, but it's not my best favorite. It's not a noob kinda fit, since it's unusual and takes time to soften up and show it's charm, but every time I pull them on I love them more. It's also amazing denim which is very close to Flat Head denim. All in all, it's a totally repro '50s feeling cut without the wide leg.

Sam 0500 is your classic 66 cut with roomier thighs and a taper. Nicely slubby. I think they'd become a good all-rounder if you could take the 15oz slubby denim in the summer.

I'd say take a look at the F380 or maybe the 5001 slim (which I have) from FH as well as the 811.

811's win the prize for most comfortable jeans for me though.

my 811 at one week, taken a while ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I'm looking forward to enjoying these along with my 0201s, which still have years of life left since they're wearing incredibly well after about a year (7 months-ish of wear).

Thanks,
    Ian

Sweet. Welcome to the 811 club. I can't imagine a better combo of denim to have in rotation than Momo and Eternal. My 811s are looking to be great for warmer weather too, which I can't say about my 0701s.

Post up some pics of your Momotaro and those new 811 when you can. The Forums are starved for worn Momo pics.

Guess you can keep the 0500s as your next buy in a year or two...

3. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

JLay87, you might want to try the Hoyt jeans from Epaulet. They were specifically made for guys that need a little more room in the ass and thigh but still have a slim silhouette. You can click on their link in the list of affiliates at the top of the screen.

4. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

I will have to take some photos of the 0201s. They're amazing. They've been washed a few times now and they are really soft. The areas that don't have wear are almost as dark as when new. These jeans hardly ever lose indigo.

I wore the 0201s last summer and I survived in NY, but they're certainly not light weight. These 811s are still so stiff and new that it is hard to feel like they're much lighter. I think they're supposed to be about 1 oz. lighter denim though.

I had actually briefly thought about checking out the Samurai 710, which are probably slimmer than the 811. I was put off by the 19oz denim and didn't even try them at BiG since I knew that would be way too heavy for an all-year jean.

Sweet. Welcome to the 811 club. I can't imagine a better combo of denim to have in rotation than Momo and Eternal. My 811s are looking to be great for warmer weather too, which I can't say about my 0701s.

Post up some pics of your Momotaro and those new 811 when you can. The Forums are starved for worn Momo pics.

Guess you can keep the 0500s as your next buy in a year or two...

5. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

By the way, I am looking forward to see how the two types of denim wear. Do you have any input on this since you also own Momotaro and Eternal denim?

I saw a sample of worn 811s at BiG and they looked great. Very high contrast.

6. Lizen

Lizen Well-Known Member

Quick question, I'm 6'6" looking to buy a pair of raw denim pants. I have a pair of brown suede desert boots, as well as the beeswax. What would be the best color and fit? I have muscular legs, too.

7. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

best color? this has to be the funniest question i've heard yet

8. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

Do you mean, should you get black or indigo?

9. Lizen

Lizen Well-Known Member

Sorry. I want indigo, but am looking for help with a fit that matches t-shirts and desert boots well.

10. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

By the way, I am looking forward to see how the two types of denim wear. Do you have any input on this since you also own Momotaro and Eternal denim? I saw a sample of worn 811s at BiG and they looked great. Very high contrast.
    They both look like they'll be amazing...The Eternals get soft really fast. Much faster than Momotaro. 0201: [​IMG] [​IMG] 811: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. NateJP

NateJP Active Member

I currently have two pairs of Levi 514 jeans in size 31x32.

I like how they fit right after being washed, and in this state the waist is 16.5", Thigh is ~11.5", with knee and leg opening both 8.5." The front rise is 9.5" and the back rise is 14.5."

Unfortunately, after a the first day of wear they are substantially looser. There is butt sag, and they are too loose in the thighs.

Can anyone recommend me a quality jean (and hopefully size) that with some wear will attain and maintain these dimensions?

Thank you

13. Branches

Branches Well-Known Member

I was at the Theory outlet today and I saw a nice looking pair of raw jeans, however they weren't selvaged. They were 100 bucks though.

Has anyone had any experience with Theory's denim? They looked nice and I'm considering them because of the reasonable price.

14. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. afici0nad0

afici0nad0 Member

I currently have two pairs of Levi 514 jeans in size 31x32.

I like how they fit right after being washed, and in this state the waist is 16.5", Thigh is ~11.5", with knee and leg opening both 8.5." The front rise is 9.5" and the back rise is 14.5."

Unfortunately, after a the first day of wear they are substantially looser. There is butt sag, and they are too loose in the thighs.

Can anyone recommend me a quality jean (and hopefully size) that with some wear will attain and maintain these dimensions?

Thank you

i have the same problem. i like the fit, right out of the dryer. eventually though, the butt begins to sag. this also occurs with my 501s.