Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

The Wal-Mart by the highway around here has raw cowboy jeans. They might be wranglers or something. They have 39in inseams for mad stacks, too - and they're nice and tapered to go with your boots. You just have to be OK with a rise that swallows your nipples. I think they're 25$

A Wal~Mart having the genuine Wrangler 13MWZ or 936DEN jeans must be a regional thing because I have yet to be in a Wal~Mart that carries any Wrangler except for their lesser expensive American Hero line (similar to Levi's Signature line).

The 13's do have a higher rise, but I do not believe the 936s (slim fit) are as high. The only thing I'd caution about the Wrangler rigid is that once washing they turn a brighter shade of blue than many are used to. They will lighten up and break-in, but saying that one has to have patience with them is an understatement. [​IMG]

2. splattered

splattered Senior member

How many raw pairs do people generally own and actively wear? I have uhmm 7 now? Or will soon... and considering selling some of that so i don't feel like such a weirdo. haha

3. geeti

geeti Active Member

um I only have one... but I'm looking forward to have 2. I think it'll be ideal. one for daily wear, and the other one for evening/ weekend outings. how do u break ur jeans when u have like 7??

4. splattered

splattered Senior member

um I only have one... but I'm looking forward to have 2. I think it'll be ideal. one for daily wear, and the other one for evening/ weekend outings. how do u break ur jeans when u have like 7??

Yeah that's the thing... i started w APC and 3Sixteen, and then all of a sudden i'm like FUGGIT why not, i want better... so i bought a few higher end pairs. Now i dunno what i'm gonna do w my other brands... keep? sell? I've no clue. Blargh.

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

so, should i contact the apc nyc store people and see about an exchange? is their denim getting shittier lately?
    That sounds like a problem that may get worse fast. Happened on my Crates (twice) and I had air-conditioned jeans within a week. I'd say contacting the NY shop would be worthwhile. That's easily repairable, but since they're new, I'd say you should be entitled to an exchange.
    How many raw pairs do people generally own and actively wear? I have uhmm 7 now? Or will soon... and considering selling some of that so i don't feel like such a weirdo. haha
    Eleven and counting :-( Don't feel weird. This is where helpless cases like us come. Besides, denim makes me happy and it's a victimless addiction [​IMG] (I long ago came to the conclusion that if the jeans aren't making my rotation at all, I sell)

6. wogbog

wogbog Senior member

I have 2 pairs that I wear regularly, trying to get one pair that my mom messed up hemming into wearable condition. Might buy another pair soon too so I'll prolly have 4 by the end of the month.

7. yamete

yamete Senior member

8. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Yeah that's the thing... i started w APC and 3Sixteen, and then all of a sudden i'm like FUGGIT why not, i want better... so i bought a few higher end pairs. Now i dunno what i'm gonna do w my other brands... keep? sell? I've no clue. Blargh.

You've could gone with the higher tier brands straight away. I only own two pair of Somets and a pair of LVC's.

9. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

aint nothin wrong with apc and especially not with 3six; keep them and wear them for a long time

10. vilinx

vilinx Senior member

I basically wear two jeans: a grey jean and a dark blue jean. Generally I buy J Crew Vintage Slim (30/32 which is closer to a 32 true waist), but I'm looking to branch out a bit more. Can anyone recommend similar fits/brands? I'd be interested in some different (still slim) looks.

11. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

Uhh...too many. But I rotate several to teach in that I'm not looking to fade (5EP, RB-11, IH 634 and LVC 1947) and wear one or two at a time hard (larger and older IH 634 that will retire soon and again older larger LVC 1947, I guess it took me a while to properly size down). I also have some KMWs 1950 and 1980 that I just can't get out of the drawer and should probably sell, and some Diors I generally wear out at night. So 6 in regular rotation, a couple more I wear rarely...oh I got some Sugar Canes that are out to Self Edge be hemmed, I'll wear them this summer when the 21 oz. Iron Hearts go into the closet until it cools back off.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I have soaked my 501 STFs in hot hot water about 3 times. The waist is perfect but the legs are too baggy for my tastes. I don't think these are gonna shrink anymore. Could I possibly get them tapered some more, and if so does anyone know a good denim tailor in NYC? I want them to be a little bigger than 511s.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

when i hand wash my jeans, do i do it inside out or not?
    Both. Wash the dirty side. Don't worry about losing indigo. You won't unless you scrub them with a washcloth or steel wool.
    Generally I buy J Crew Vintage Slim (30/32 which is closer to a 32 true waist), but I'm looking to branch out a bit more. Can anyone recommend similar fits/brands? I'd be interested in some different (still slim) looks.
    Warehouse 660, Skull 5507, Studio D'Artisan 103, Fullcount 1108, Sugar Cane 2009 '47 cut, Flat Head 3001 and F310, Momotaro 0701...there's tons.
    ...oh I got some Sugar Canes that are out to Self Edge be hemmed, I'll wear them this summer when the 21 oz. Iron Hearts go into the closet until it cools back off.
    You're gonna love those Sugar Canes...
    I have soaked my 501 STFs in hot hot water about 3 times. The waist is perfect but the legs are too baggy for my tastes. I don't think these are gonna shrink anymore. Could I possibly get them tapered some more, and if so does anyone know a good denim tailor in NYC? I want them to be a little bigger than 511s.
    There's more shrink. Soaks don't get the last of it. Plus, it's best to get them fully shrunk now so no surprises later. Wash them in the machine on a gentle cycle (less agitation). If still loose, throw them in the dryer on high heat when they're damp (not really wet - so they don't tumble for too long). Wash and dry inside-out. It's fine - won't hurt them.

14. blynch

blynch Senior member

Looking for a jean that measures
    Waist: 33
    Thigh >=12.5
    Hem <=8
    Back Rise <=15
    Inseem doesn't really matter, >=33

Only thing I've found close to that is the SExIH Cyclist jean, but that is long extinct.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Looking for a jean that measures Waist: 33 Thigh >=12.5 Hem <=8 Back Rise <=15 Inseem doesn't really matter, >=33 Only thing I've found close to that is the SExIH Cyclist jean, but that is long extinct.
    I'm assuming the thigh dimension is BiG style (not SE/Farinelli) and that this is post-soak, not raw? To get that much taper, you'll probably want to look at '66 cuts: Warehouse 660, LVC '66, Samurai S0500xx, Skull 5507, Evisu 2000 Lot No. 1, Denime 66xx. Skull and Warehouse might be best first options. I doubt you'll find a leg opening less than 8" post-soak. There's a reason for that. Major tapers look funny. 8" - 8.5" leg opening for your waist size is still a slim tapered cut. Otherwise, you can always get them tapered.