1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

Many people feel that the quality of Nudie jeans is no longer commensurate with the cost.

true, I've always wanted a pair of nudies though since 3 years ago....Finally got them recently, I had a choice between Rag & Bone, APC, N&F but I wanted nudies so bad LOL. I guess it's because I have a thing for the name...

2. shoppingshzhang

shoppingshzhang Senior member

I am getting a few new pairs of jeans now, and here are the first one i got.

Sorry for the shady quality. I don't have a camera.

How do you think about the fit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

3. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

+1 I also hate the back pocket detailing, it's up there with TR in my books. That's just personal taste though.
    I myself don't mind the backpocket detailing - especially if it's the darker stitching - but I can understand how it might seem a bit gaudy. Anyway, I ask because I'm getting a pair, however they're on a friendly discount so it seems a bit justified I guess. I have to imagine the quality will be better than that of my Crates.

4. dron

dron Senior member

i'm sorry, but i am still completely clueless here. i can stretch the budget if needs be.
    please give me a hint.

i just posted a WTB, but thought i might as well ask for recommendations here. i hope this is not bad form.
    if anyone can tell what i need and where to get it based on the description below, please let me know.

i need a good pair of jeans.

brand doesn't really matter, but i want a clean simple design. and i do prefer button flys.
    the denim should be good quality, sturdy without being too heavy and dark blue. i guess i want raw and selvedge.

i need a slim fit.
    measurements as close as possible to the following:
    waist: 15,5"
    rise: 9,5"
    hem: 7"
    inseam: 32"

budget is around 100 €.
    and it would be nice with something in europe to keep shipping and customs low.

5. max_r

max_r Senior member

i'm sorry, but i am still completely clueless here. i can stretch the budget if needs be. please give me a hint.
    judging by your measurements, you're looking for a slim tapered low-rise jean. probably size 27 or 28 or something depending on the brand. check out this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=denim also look at websites like: http://www.selfedge.com/ http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php http://www.contextclothing.com/ ^for measurements of jeans once you figure out what brands you like (sorry, dont know any European sites with accurate measurements) most people tend to stick to APC and Nudie and whatnot with their first denim purchases. on sale, Nudie can probably be had for about €100. APC denim doesn't go on sale, but if you lurk the buying and selling forum here and on other forums, it regularly sells for about $80 - $120 in good condition. i bought my last pair of APC's for £110 brand new from the store, so in euros they're not much out of your price range. i've only ever had APC's so i can't really advise any further than that. also check out this thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=denim unfortunately, most of the pictures aren't worn, but some are, and most people say what the brand is, so if you see something you like, you know what to look for.

6. Jacob_G

Jacob_G Senior member

Here are pics of my four month old APC Petit Standard size 31, one wash: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] How would you rate the fit? I was actually looking to buy another pair of jeans with a slightly more relaxed fit and came across SEXFHXRR10. Would they fit me or is there any alternative cause the price is a bit hefty [​IMG]. thanks in advance.

7. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Why do people tend to knock Nudies a lot lately?

I suspect it's the fact that they're now sort of "mainstream." Plus they're Swedish, not Japanese or U.S., and they have a lot of other washes besides raw. Sort of unfair, because Japanese brands like Studio D'Artisan have lots of predistressed washes, too. And to my taste, the pocket stitching is a bit gaudy.

Having said that, the Grim Tim is a great fit for a LOT of people.

8. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

^^APC fit: They look fine, but how do they feel when you sit/move etc.? I suspect you think the top block is a little tight. Bottom line is denim should be comfortable, and after 4 months I suspect you're not going to get more stretch.

9. Jacob_G

Jacob_G Senior member

^^APC fit: They look fine, but how do they feel when you sit/move etc.? I suspect you think the top block is a little tight. Bottom line is denim should be comfortable, and after 4 months I suspect you're not going to get more stretch.

Thanks for the relpy. Any idea which jeans would look better on me?

10. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

i don't think they look bad at all, those APCs.

11. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

Haha yeah but not this STF stuff and raw denim. people havent heard of all this stuff. the people here wear crappy cheap monday and other ball tight crap that neither looks good or is comfortable. Or APCs sell for 250+ same with nudie. And imperials though they are made here they are $300. I go to a shop that sells wrangler selvedge raw for like $300 and the girls like dont get that get this and i can barely squeeze into it.
    try the shop up there ... they might have something semi-cheap for you and its melbourne. good jeans cost money and if you go on the cheap people will smell you. or buy on-line and have the stuff shipped to you ... most retailers do indeed ship to aulstralia.

12. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

Question about raw/unsanforized denim

If I purchase a pair of raw/unsanforized jeans - i.e. APC - and not wash/soak for 6 months, how should account for length of inseam?

If I normally wear a 30 inseam, should I have tailored to a 32 length?
    I am not interested in cuffing, nor am I interested in walking around with a 39 inseam.

thanks in advance - and if this has been addressed before in this thread, simply bust my balls if you must - but if you could direct me to an answer as well, that would be appreciated

13. max_r

max_r Senior member

Question about raw/unsanforized denim

If I purchase a pair of raw/unsanforized jeans - i.e. APC - and not wash/soak for 6 months, how should account for length of inseam?

If I normally wear a 30 inseam, should I have tailored to a 32 length?
    I am not interested in cuffing, nor am I interested in walking around with a 39 inseam.

thanks in advance - and if this has been addressed before in this thread, simply bust my balls if you must - but if you could direct me to an answer as well, that would be appreciated

^APC's are sanforized, they wont shrink much, maybe 0.5" to 1" total after a wash.

and unless they recently changed something, they dont come with 39" inseams. my new standards have a 34.5" inseam, and my petit standards have a 35.5" inseam.

14. whatever123

I am getting a few new pairs of jeans now, and here are the first one i got.

Sorry for the shady quality. I don't have a camera.

How do you think about the fit?

Thanks!

i think the fit look great. are those flatheads? its difficult to tell from the pic. is that fit post-wash? they should turn out great ... good luck!

15. whatever123

Here are pics of my four month old APC Petit Standard size 31, one wash:

please wear socks jacob. thanks!

16. Astronaut888

^APC's are sanforized, they wont shrink much, maybe 0.5" to 1" total after a wash.

and unless they recently changed something, they dont come with 39" inseams. my new standards have a 34.5" inseam, and my petit standards have a 35.5" inseam.

my bad - thought they were unsanforized.
    however, the q still stands with respect to unsanforized.

there has to be plenty of folks here w/ 28 waists who are not 6'4" w/ a 35" inseam.

17. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I suspect it's the fact that they're now sort of "mainstream." Plus they're Swedish, not Japanese or U.S., and they have a lot of other washes besides raw. Sort of unfair, because Japanese brands like Studio D'Artisan have lots of predistressed washes, too. And to my taste, the pocket stitching is a bit gaudy. Having said that, the Grim Tim is a great fit for a LOT of people.
    I can't speak for other people, but I can tell you that personally, I have no problem with the fact that Nudie is Swedish. One of my favorite denim companies for lightweight jeans, Pace, is also Swedish. I also have no problem with the fact that they do predistressed washes as well as raw denim. I don't have any interest in predistressed washes from any denim company, so I completely ignore the predistressed models. I don't think any less of any company for doing them, as long as the company still offers quality raw denim. I do feel that Nudies are expensive for what they are. It is average-quality non-selvage denim that starts at $180 retail. There are better jeans out there (APC, N&F) for a little bit less, IMO. Like you, I don't like the pocket stitching either.
    Question about raw/unsanforized denim If I purchase a pair of raw/unsanforized jeans - i.e. APC - and not wash/soak for 6 months, how should account for length of inseam? If I normally wear a 30 inseam, should I have tailored to a 32 length? I am not interested in cuffing, nor am I interested in walking around with a 39 inseam. thanks in advance - and if this has been addressed before in this thread, simply bust my balls if you must - but if you could direct me to an answer as well, that would be appreciated
    Most raw unsanforized denim shrinks about 3" in the inseam after a couple of hot washes, so unless you are buying a model where you know exactly how much it is going to shrink, I would give yourself at least 3" of extra length from what you want it to be afterwards. That being said, I would not recommend wearing unsanforized raw denim for 6 months without at least hot soaking it first. When you eventually wash, the jeans will shrink significantly, especially in length, and all of your pre-wash fades will move out of place from the shrinkage.

18. max_r

max_r Senior member

my bad - thought they were unsanforized.
    however, the q still stands with respect to unsanforized.

there has to be plenty of folks here w/ 28 waists who are not 6'4" w/ a 35" inseam.

with unsanforized, or shrink-to-fit jeans, people tend to hot soak them before wearing to get the shrink out of the inseam and legs/waist.

if you wear unsanforized jeans raw for 6+ months before washing/soaking, they'll shrink and then the fades will be in the wrong place (knee fades half way up your thigh, etc)

19. Astronaut888

makes sense.
    thanks for the replies

denim newbie here.

20. shoppingshzhang

shoppingshzhang Senior member

i think the fit look great. are those flatheads? its difficult to tell from the pic. is that fit post-wash? they should turn out great ... good luck!

Thanks
    Oh,, forgot to mention that. They're just 501 stfs. I soaked them in hot water while wearing them on the first day..
    Wish I could buy some better stuff next time [​IMG]