• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not tryin 2 confuse the issue, but something 2 think about

also shouldnt u be mourning guru?

cmrocks

Reaction score
Quick question about APCs. I'm working on a pair of Rescues right now and they've been great. They were a 29 waist and once they stretched out, they fit nicely. I'd like to get something that fits a bit slimmer in the legs. I'm thinking about getting the New Standards. Should I get the same size waist? Or do I need to size up/down?

kinch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Quick question about APCs. I'm working on a pair of Rescues right now and they've been great. They were a 29 waist and once they stretched out, they fit nicely. I'd like to get something that fits a bit slimmer in the legs. I'm thinking about getting the New Standards. Should I get the same size waist? Or do I need to size up/down?

Same size waist. 29 rescue feels the same in the legs as 30 NS.

TotesMcGotes

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with denim repairs in the Austin, TX area?
I can't seem to find one thats reputable

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
prob true but if SEXSC06 worked 007 may not be out of the question
Not feeling that. If that's based entirely on fit chart measurement, I could see why that could be assumed. SE measured their thigh dimension an inch down the leg. BiG at the crotch seam. That can mean an inch difference, and says nothing about how the back rise affects the fit (majorly). Knowing Sugar Cane design philosophy, I'd say the SC06 is still a higher rear rise slim repro cut. The 007 is a slim-leg low-rise modern cut. My 005 were incredibly tight on my thighs, and I have both a good tolerance for slim cuts and a skinny thigh. Edit: Not to bash, but this is part of my issue with the info SE provides on their fit charts: no back rise or knee measurement, and measurements given in tenths of an inch, which won't exist on anyone's home tape measure.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sure, but if he really wants indigo warp/weft its worth a shot

he could also just try sizing up on 007; can always return

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh - for all you fans of dyed weft: Samurai has released the first of it's new five jeans 'Elements' series. Each will have a different weft color (so it's thought)...

The jeans are all S5000 fit (standard straight). 17oz denim. BiG will have them.

Earth:

kizi.jpg

Water:

kizi.jpg

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to give my APC NSs a break and try some 501 STFs

2 questions

1, the denim is super soft starting out... I got some heavy duty starch for them. Today I sprayed them while I had them on... is that advisable? And how often should I spray them if I am gonna wear them every day?

2, how long should I go before I do my first soak in these? I'm going for the super high contrast look on my APC NSs, I actually want these to come out lighter, but of course w/some cool distressing. My NSs have good honeycombs & whiskers after just 6 weeks of wear and these def feel cheaper/weaker........ a month maybe?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spray starch is only effective if you follow-up with an ironing. But it does work on some denim. I'm anti-starch though. Bad for denim.

If your 501s are the standard, I'd say just wear them until you start seeing some light electric blue coming out in the creasing. Depending on how you sized and wear those, that might be soon, or a while if they're loose.

But don't expect amazing high-contrast fades on those. The dyeing, denim and fit aren't designed for that. A less contrast-y 'vintage' fade is gonna be your friend, and that means washing when they need it (every few weeks).

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1, lmao @ your avatar... the Gap is gonna start stitching selvage on the outside seam soon at this rate. 2, I was wondering about the ironing deal, but the jeans definitely feel stiffer after the starch dried out. I had a pair I bought used that looked like this:
n28900667_30104102_5551.jpg
I basically want that color but with some more distinct distressing. I've seen some cool stuff in that Nudies STF contest... we'll see...

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
1, lmao @ your avatar... the Gap is gonna start stitching selvage on the outside seam soon at this rate.

2, I was wondering about the ironing deal, but the jeans definitely feel stiffer after the starch dried out.

I had a pair I bought used that looked like this:

n28900667_30104102_5551.jpg

I basically want that color but with some more distinct distressing. I've seen some cool stuff in that Nudies STF contest... we'll see...

Thanks on the avatar. So true
smile.gif

With your STF, you'll definitely get higher contrast fades no matter what, compared to those. The deep indigo is already darker than the washed 501s you usually see.

Just wear for longer periods and wash less often. The ones pictured look like they were washed weekly. Just wash yours once they're too stretched out or get dirty or too sweaty. You'll be good.

Skip the starch after this. Don't need it.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will do

Ermac

Reaction score
Hey SF ... need some critique. Here are my Slim Jims, Dry Japan, size 28 first wear. How much (if any) do they stretch in the waist and ass? It's impossible to zip or button them up at the moment. Though they are not super tight / pain inducing. I'm debating whether to size up one.

2ik3wnl.jpg

nosnd3.jpg

2hokb2o.jpg

Much Thanks
smile.gif

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size up, you're not even close to even button it. The size should be good if you are barely able to close them. Now it's impossible, given the pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads