I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. davo10375

davo10375 Senior member

yet another question, thanks to those who havent put me on ignore yet

went and tried on grim tims, slim jims and thin finns finally

the guy at the store said they would stretch out about half a size; maybe he was thinking if I was washing them constantly or something? How much would they stretch out, tried on 34-32 and it was tighter then i want it around the waist and a tad shorter then wanted at the legs, will it stretch out decently maybe to a 35-33 or something? If that even works/makes sense?

thanks,
    dave

2. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

davo, the length will NOT stretch. If they are too short now they will be too short forever. Sometimes you can literally stretch (by pulling) on the legs but this is pretty much reserved for post-soaking-action with jeans that shrink dramatically when soaked/washed. The waist will stretch and on nudies and will stretch more than most brands. I'd say at least a size. General rule of thumb I like is that if you can get the jeans on and button the top button then that's the size you want. They probably aren't going to be "comfortable" for about a week but it's not that bad. My advice, find a 34-34. Too much length really isn't a problem and you can always get them hemmed to the perfect length.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

soak the jeans in water a bit, stand on the waistband and then pull the legs out to stretch them. You can get an extra inch that way. I've done it.

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I just dropped off a pair of new Ben Sherman jeans at my tailor today for hemming. Do these shrink? Should I have washed them first?

5. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

soak the jeans in water a bit, stand on the waistband and then pull the legs out to stretch them. You can get an extra inch that way. I've done it.

Does this work if you want to go beyond the original raw/dry length? [​IMG]

6. davo10375

davo10375 Senior member

Thanks for the replies; didnt think about going 34-34 because the store only had a 34-32, heh.

Looks like Ill prob order the nudies of self edge; hopefully I can somehow get the Grim Tim's in indigo rather than organic; its a lot darker, right?

Plus, its awesomely cheap; with styleforum code + free shipping (australia) only around 140ish aussie maybe. Same as I paid for Levi 511s :O

7. JOA

JOA Senior member

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

9. dawit

dawit Senior member

Does the RRDS and Average Joe strech alot? I had Slim Jims and they didnt strech alot. Im a true 32 should i size down or just go with the regular 32x34?

10. buttonman

buttonman Senior member

nudies and apc are known to stretch a bit so normally it's advised to size down one. but jeans stretch more if you apply more pressure on the jeans so if you size down 5 it'll stretch like crazy, that is if you can get them on in the first place

11. jasong

jasong Member

Wow, you have a lot to learn. First off, keep reading and start here. It will change your life.

Yeah I do have alot to learn. [​IMG] Looks like Self Edge is literally 20 blocks or so from where I'll be. I'll be making a stop!

12. jasong

jasong Member

don't miss:

Self-Edge, the holy grail of denim shops (18th & Valencia, in The Mission)[​IMG]

^(why isn't there a smilie with a sombrero?)

if you want to keep it to the union square area: (look up addresses on google)

barney's (apc, rag & bone, Nudie, Nom de Guerre)
    bloomingdale's (5ep, prps)
    sak's (dior, ?)
    AB Fits (Nudie, 5ep, a bunch of others) Great shop

there's also places i haven't made it to like

azalea
    rolo

there's more i'm forgetting, i'm sure, but i'm tired...

Thank you so much for the list! As I'll only have a couple of hours available before flying out to LA, I guess the holy grail it is! [​IMG]

13. king mint

king mint Member

I've just received a pair of Samurais (my first raw denim) and need to shrink them. People talk about "soaking". Is this literally just putting them in the bath? Can I put them in the wash instead? If so what temp?

Thanks

14. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

A wash is just as good, and probably works a bit better. As far as temperature is concerned, the hotter the better.

15. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

PC's New standard - how do they usually shrink? I've heard 1" in the waist and 3" in the inseam.