I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

If you have to tripple roll your jeans to sit right should you hem them? I am just going with the tripple roll for now, only place I can get to hem my jeans will use a synthetic thread that looks nothing like the rest of the stitching.
    Yeah, Hem for sure, but make sure to leave enough for shrink, stacking, cuff etc. Leave more than you think, even if you've soaked the jeans or washed them. There can be more shrink, and if you hem too much, you're screwed. Blue in Green, Self Edge, Blue Owl (and I think Denim Doctors) all do chainstitch hemming for $20-25 or so. You pay shipping. They do a great job. Blue in Green turn-around is a day or two, Self Edge is a week. Personally, I think a chainstitch hem is worth it.

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

3. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes Senior member

I can't decide between some Left Field Raw Selvedge's in Indigo or 3sixteen's.
    I have some Naked & Famous WeirdGuys and I love the cut so I guess I want something similar.
    Any help?

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Senior member

Yeah, Hem for sure, but make sure to leave enough for shrink, stacking, cuff etc. Leave more than you think, even if you've soaked the jeans or washed them. There can be more shrink, and if you hem too much, you're screwed.

Blue in Green, Self Edge, Blue Owl (and I think Denim Doctors) all do chainstitch hemming for $20-25 or so. You pay shipping. They do a great job. Blue in Green turn-around is a day or two, Self Edge is a week.

Personally, I think a chainstitch hem is worth it.

What's the benefit of a chainstitch hem or a better hem over the other? Noob question, but why should I get someone to do it when I can do it myself(other then Id like to take care of my jeans properly)

5. tsunamiboy85

tsunamiboy85 Member

Hi, been a lurker for ages... Just wanted to ask... Anyone with experience with Burgus Plus jeans? They look real good for a great price.. Have a pair of Eternal 811s. How does Burgus Plus jeans, specifically the 770 measure up? Anyone?

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I can't decide between some Left Field Raw Selvedge's in Indigo or 3sixteen's. I have some Naked & Famous WeirdGuys and I love the cut so I guess I want something similar. Any help?
    LF and 3-Sixteen are opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of denim, fit and attitude. Left Field is vintage-y, really slubby (almost Samurai/PBJ slubby), very loom-textured, with a workwear vintage 501 cut. 3-sixteen is going to be a much closer match, both denim and cut. Smooth, crisp, dark, modern cut. I don't think you'll love the LF unless you really want a very unusual denim. I didn't.
    What's the benefit of a chainstitch hem or a better hem over the other? Noob question, but why should I get someone to do it when I can do it myself(other then Id like to take care of my jeans properly)
    Yeah, that's pretty noob. Hunt around on the forums (here and SuFu) for that answer first. Search 'hem' and 'chainstitch' In the end, it's all a matter of preference. One way isn't specifically 'better'. Chainstich both allows for a different 'roping effect' as it fades and shrinks, and is more true to a traditional denim hem detail. I also like the pronounced stitch. I cuff.

7. grouper

grouper Senior member

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I think ARW said he went up 1 but I don't know personally

9. foxfire

foxfire Member

Why are cuffs so popular now? I'm getting a pair of N&F weird guys and I'm tempted to cuff them, but I'm not sure about the look. Hm.

10. mattyb124

mattyb124 Well-Known Member

So I have had one pair of APC NS for about two years now. They were my first raw denim and remained my only raws until recently when I bought a pair of 3sixteen's. Since I work in an office setting my jeans only get worn about 2 days a week. Since they don't get that much wear I never washed them (I promise they dont smell) and I am now ready to take the leap into washing. There is definitely some visible wear and fading going on so I'm thinking the results will be pretty good. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how I should wash them for the first time. Cold soak, woolite black, etc... Thanks in advance for the help..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  11. eseanyang

eseanyang Senior member

Looking for a jean fit with wide thighs and tapered bottoms. Similar to the nudie jeans big bengt fit

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Why are cuffs so popular now? I'm getting a pair of N&F weird guys and I'm tempted to cuff them, but I'm not sure about the look. Hm.

I think cuffing high is popular right now because of J crew. That Frank guy there is a master at casual yet dressy and high cuff plays into it so well

13. themaskedcorndog

themaskedcorndog Senior member

If I wear a 30 in Levi's, etc, I should be getting a 28 in APC Petite Standards, correct?

14. blanco

blanco Member

What are good/ decent brands to look at if I want to wear suspender jeans?

No, no osh kosh. Thanks.

15. avery

avery Senior member