I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I really like the look of the kicking Mule 1950s from here, but the price has me hestiant on taking the plunge, since theres a lot of nice looking jeans for less.

http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bri...il&SKU=9900009

That's the normal price range for premium denim with good distressing. You'll understand why they fetch that price if you can get a pair in your hands and really see the details. Pretty spectacular stuff.

Suggest you order a pair and try them on.

2. Murdoc

Murdoc Senior member

That's the normal price range for premium denim with good distressing. You'll understand why they fetch that price if you can get a pair in your hands and really see the details. Pretty spectacular stuff.

Suggest you order a pair and try them on.

Oh wasn't bagging on the price vs. quality, from what I read the quality warrants the price; just in my situation where I seem to kill a pair in a couple of months it wouldn't make sense to go that high until I learn to take care of my clothing.

One day though, one day [​IMG]

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Get'em.

I'm looking for a pair of washed,slim jeans in a dad jeans sorta way. Basically dad jeans with a modern cut. Any leads would be helpful.

Check out Acne's online shop. Lots of light washes, such as:
    http://shop.acnestudios.com/system/s...ct.asp?id=3613
    and
    http://shop.acnestudios.com/system/s...ct.asp?id=3567
    and
    http://shop.acnestudios.com/system/s...ct.asp?id=3615

Also, Margiela makes some, found at Oki-Ni:
    http://www.oki-ni.com/Mens-Trousers/...invt/mm0357blu

I'm sure some time spent on Yoox would also reveal a bounty of light washes.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Also, many of the brands in the non-apc sub-$200 thread have washes. Including APC models.

5. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

Understood. Most of the raw jeans companies discussed here make washed and distressed variations. Like those Eternal 811 jeans (which you could order through Blue in Green):

I like the Kicking Mule 1980 and 1950 fits a lot. A great all-round slim jean with a universally popular fit. Amazing jeans you really gotta see up close. Two pre-distressed models:

Check out Acne's online shop. Lots of light washes, such as:
    http://shop.acnestudios.com/system/s...ct.asp?id=3613
    and
    http://shop.acnestudios.com/system/s...ct.asp?id=3567
    and
    http://shop.acnestudios.com/system/s...ct.asp?id=3615

Also, Margiela makes some, found at Oki-Ni:
    http://www.oki-ni.com/Mens-Trousers/...invt/mm0357blu

I'm sure some time spent on Yoox would also reveal a bounty of light washes.

Thanks guys, Synthese the first two are exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone know how to size acne?

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Will dry cleaning count as a wash for raw denim? I've been wearing my APC NSs to work for a month now, and while they're not funky or dirty I do feel like I will have to wash them soon

On a positive note they are starting to whisker at the crotch

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Just wash them with water, dry cleaning can be worse than not washing

8. Spyre

Spyre Active Member

What do you like best about the 511 cut? The skinny leg? The taper and stacking? Small leg opening? Rise?
    Really its a combination of all of those. The low rise, the taper to slight stacking. I have wider thighs, so straight up skinny jeans often don't fit. I measured my best pair and got the following (they're tagged 30/32, so the measuring tape kinda surprised me). They pretty much fit perfectly in all respects... waist:\t\t32 front rise:\t9.5 back rise:\t14.5 upper thigh:\t11.5 knee:\t\t8.5 leg opening:\t7.5 inseam:\t\t33.5 I'm right now trying to go through the measurements I find on various websites for brands (blueingreensoho is helpful), but its slow going. I have difficulty telling what the measurements will be after shrinkage. Finally, I tried on a pair of Rag & Bones in a store when I went into town on the weekend, but like an idiot I didn't write down the model. They were size 30 dark blue and seemed like they were decently cut for me... I didn't grab them because they were ~$300 but if anyone has any idea what model they may be I could potentially find them online for cheaper.

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Will dry cleaning count as a wash for raw denim? I've been wearing my APC NSs to work for a month now, and while they're not funky or dirty I do feel like I will have to wash them soon On a positive note they are starting to whisker at the crotch
    Just wash them with water, dry cleaning can be worse than not washing
    Second that. Not to sound mean, but it's really foolish not to wash them. The 6-month/no-wash thing is so unfounded and a totally hyped crock of shit. Jeans will fade just as well if you wash them or not, but will last ten times longer if you wash them or at least give them a warm soak every month or two. You'll understand more when you see the nasty brown water in the bathtub.

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Really its a combination of all of those. The low rise, the taper to slight stacking. I have wider thighs, so straight up skinny jeans often don't fit. I measured my best pair and got the following (they're tagged 30/32, so the measuring tape kinda surprised me). They pretty much fit perfectly in all respects...

waist:\t\t32
    front rise:\t9.5
    back rise:\t14.5
    upper thigh:\t11.5
    knee:\t\t8.5
    leg opening:\t7.5
    inseam:\t\t33.5

I'm right now trying to go through the measurements I find on various websites for brands (blueingreensoho is helpful), but its slow going. I have difficulty telling what the measurements will be after shrinkage.

Finally, I tried on a pair of Rag & Bones in a store when I went into town on the weekend, but like an idiot I didn't write down the model. They were size 30 dark blue and seemed like they were decently cut for me... I didn't grab them because they were ~$300 but if anyone has any idea what model they may be I could potentially find them online for cheaper.

What store did you see those R&B in? Call them maybe? Check Detour and Tobi links above also.

If you like R&B and (based on your dimensions) that slim tapered fit work well on you, also consider:

Flat Head BSP
    Dry Bones Red-D
    Jean Shop 'Skinny' cut
    KMW 'Rocker'
    APC PS or NS, maybe NC
    Somet 008
    Pure Blue Japan/Blue in Green Collab 013

11. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Thanks guys, Synthese the first two are exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone know how to size acne?
    I can only compare to brands like J. Lindeberg and Filippa K. The sizes are the same, not much difference.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Anyone know of any sub-$200 raw jeans that are similar in fit to the APC NS or Dior 19cms but have a zipper fly? I would just get the APCs, but I'm really sick of the button fly on my diors.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

If you have to tripple roll your jeans to sit right should you hem them? I am just going with the tripple roll for now, only place I can get to hem my jeans will use a synthetic thread that looks nothing like the rest of the stitching.

14. connor

connor Senior member

i would hem them that roll must be super thick. fuck dat

15. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

Anyone know of any sub-$200 raw jeans that are similar in fit to the APC NS or Dior 19cms but have a zipper fly? I would just get the APCs, but I'm really sick of the button fly on my diors.
    Probably not what you are looking for and over $200 but jean shop rockers have a zip fly. I just got a pair, love them.

Maybe someone can tell me why button fly's are used on so many of the high quality jeans. I can understand using them for some of the reproductions of classic styles but nobody sees the fly and buttons are just not practical.