I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Ok guys, talk to me about heavy denim suitable (sort of) for casual motorcycling... Don't want lined or anything, just thick heavy jeans that will offer a degree of protection (yes, i realize it isn't much, I've crashed in regular jeans a few times before)

There is Ironheart and? Ideally I want to spend up to $200 maybe..

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I guess heavyweight denim is what you're looking for. Ironheart, Samurai (which actually goes higher than IH), Naked and Famous has a 21oz jean, Oni Sho-ai is 19oz, Pure Blue Japan Sho-ai is 19oz, SDA has 18-, 21-, and 23oz models

Naked and Famous is your only option, heavyweight denim means specialty orders and that means $$$

3. mttlee0

mttlee0 Senior member

Anyone know how much a typica lpair of washed jeans will stretch in the waist and thighs? The pair I bought is 3-4% elastane.

I just bought an awesome pair of Stone Island jeans at Jack Straw Filaments, they are a tad tight in the waist and thighs.

4. fettuccine

fettuccine Active Member

I don't own the SE05BSP, but i think you are looking for the FH3001 (slim/straight leg). TTS or 1 size up if you have big thighs

Hey guys need to gain some knowledge here on a few denim models.

I'm 5'8", normally wear a size 32x32 in most regular jeans.

FLATHEADS

1. Between the SE05BSP and the F3001, which is slimmer?
    2. Is the slimmer of the two skin-tight skinny?
    3. Which one of these models would give me a slight slouchy look, but still non-baggy slim straight look at the same time? (Dont like the skin tight skinny rocker/skaterboy look, just slim jeans I want)
    4. What size should I aim for?

P.S. I wear a lot of converses so I wouldn't want it to engulf the sneakers too much with the leg opening of the jeans. I also like to sag a little bit (slouchy), I don't know if that matters not too much though.
    Thanks guys.

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Guys, a quick newbie question here. I love the fit of my 30/32 levi's 511. I want a pair that essentially fits exactly like the 511, but higher quality selvege/raw.
    What do you like best about the 511 cut? The skinny leg? The taper and stacking? Small leg opening? Rise?
    Get'em. I'm looking for a pair of washed,slim jeans in a dad jeans sorta way. Basically dad jeans with a modern cut. Any leads would be helpful.
    'Slim' is such a subjective terms. Dad jeans is a term to loose fast [​IMG] Take a look at any '1966' cuts (which the 511 is loosely based on). Slim straight. Examples would be: Levis 'LVC' 1966 model (obviously), Eternal 811, Denime XX66, Studio D'Artisan 103, Skul 5507. Also: KMW 1980, some Pure Blue Japan cuts, Samurai cuts, Flat Head (dunno which model though), maybe Real Blue Japan. Those great new 'EP' jeans by Epaulet are sweet. Some have zip-fly, some button. Ask Blue in Green and Self Edge for direction to '1966' options. APC NS is kinda close too.
    I have a pair of Dior 19 cms and I need a new pair of jeans. As of now, I'm leaning towards a looser fit (i.e. new standards, or 21 cm). Now, I don't want to drop more than $150 on jeans again and I really want a zip fly. I'm really sick of this button fly lol. ?
    Another question for Self Edge - Real Japan Blues and Flat Head do zip-fly as standard on many of their slim fits, as does Samurai on some. Suggest you get your ass out of the $150 realm. But also look at this link for options, like the LVC 1966.
    Hey guys need to gain some knowledge here on a few denim models. I'm 5'8", normally wear a size 32x32 in most regular jeans. FLATHEADS 1. Between the SE05BSP and the F3001, which is slimmer? 2. Is the slimmer of the two skin-tight skinny? 3. Which one of these models would give me a slight slouchy look, but still non-baggy slim straight look at the same time? (Dont like the skin tight skinny rocker/skaterboy look, just slim jeans I want) 4. What size should I aim for? P.S. I wear a lot of converses so I wouldn't want it to engulf the sneakers too much with the leg opening of the jeans. I also like to sag a little bit (slouchy), I don't know if that matters not too much though. Thanks guys.
    Both are good sagging jeans. BSPs are much slimmer from knee down and stack better. I have the BSP and I'm selling to go to the 3001 cut because the BSPs are too slim and tapered for me (but still not 'skinny' at all...) In a 31, the BSP have a 7.2" leg opening, the 3001 would have about 7.75" or so. Check the size charts, but true-to-size on the tag is smart on both. I think you'd like the BSP and also the Dry Bones Red-D (almost the exact same fit). I'm selling both [shameless plug]. Neither are skin-tight at all. But that's relative, of course...

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hopefully I can explain this properly... I've never been one to cuff my jeans, but I do cuff my (first pair of) Sugarcanes because the length -- even post-shrink -- is just that little bit too long and I'd rather not hem them. They've been cuffed for about three months...and now when I un-cuff them, there's some fraying of the denim along the fold line on the outside of the leg. 1. Is this normal? 2. What causes it? 3. And am I at risk of a hole developing just because of the cuff?
    1. Yes, unfortunately it is 2. Abrasion against your shoes. Also starch causing the fibers to be more brittle. Also, the fibers weaken when permanently creased and bent like that (like how you can rip paper more easily along a fold). It's the same wear factors that makes all jeans eventually wear out. 3. Yes. Keep your eye on it. I've seen guys sew pre-emptive patching there for that reason.
    Anyone know how much a typica lpair of washed jeans will stretch in the waist and thighs? The pair I bought is 3-4% elastane. I just bought an awesome pair of Stone Island jeans at Jack Straw Filaments, they are a tad tight in the waist and thighs.
    Typical stretch for all denim is 5-8% in most areas of pressure (1-2 inches in the waist). It depends on the denim warp/weft thickness and tightness of the weave though. Elastane adds a whole new variable. 'A tad' tight is good. They should fit great soon.

7. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

1. Yes, unfortunately it is

2. Abrasion against your shoes. Also starch causing the fibers to be more brittle. Also, the fibers weaken when permanently creased and bent like that (like how you can rip paper more easily along a fold). It's the same wear factors that makes all jeans eventually wear out.

3. Yes. Keep your eye on it. I've seen guys sew pre-emptive patching there for that reason.

Huh. I had no idea and certainly didn't expect it. I mean, I guess it makes sense...but I never would have thought of it on my own. Thanks.

8. mttlee0

mttlee0 Senior member

Thanks mlyngard. Sounds great, I'm hoping these 'tad' tight jeans will turn into 'perfect' fitting jeans.

I'll post pics of the jeans in this thread or the Jack Straw thread - I just want to share the great, unique merchandise they have in the store.

9. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

'Slim' is such a subjective terms. Dad jeans is a term to loose fast [​IMG]

Take a look at any '1966' cuts (which the 511 is loosely based on). Slim straight. Examples would be:

Levis 'LVC' 1966 model (obviously), Eternal 811, Denime XX66, Studio D'Artisan 103, Skul 5507. Also: KMW 1980, some Pure Blue Japan cuts, Samurai cuts, Flat Head (dunno which model though), maybe Real Blue Japan. Those great new 'EP' jeans by Epaulet are sweet. Some have zip-fly, some button.

Ask Blue in Green and Self Edge for direction to '1966' options. APC NS is kinda close to

Hmm, upon reading my original reply I was not clear enough. I'm not looking for a dark raw pair to brake in, washed as in faded blue (dad jeans) in a modern cut. Sorta like what maxbigveil (spelled wrong, I know) was wearing in waywt awhile back, just not in the new cure cut.

But thanks mlyngard for taking the time to anwser my question.

10. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

... jacket question. I saw a girl yesterday wearing a denim jacket with

* an arched yoke
    * copper rivets
    * a sun/friction fade
    * hard denim in a tight weave

Any thoughts on what it might have been - maybe RRL? Any suggestions on something like it?

11. Mountains

Mountains Senior member

I'm looking at picking up a pair of distressed jeans for this summer. I don't really want to spend much more than about $300, or $400 at the very most. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

12. avery

avery Senior member

washed diors fit into that price range. they do some pretty great washes.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Anyone know the waist fit on naked and famous slim guys ultra heavy? I wear 31 in 514 and 501STF?

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hmm, upon reading my original reply I was not clear enough. I'm not looking for a dark raw pair to brake in, washed as in faded blue (dad jeans) in a modern cut. Sorta like what maxbigveil (spelled wrong, I know) was wearing in waywt awhile back, just not in the new cure cut. But thanks mlyngard for taking the time to anwser my question.
    Understood. Most of the raw jeans companies discussed here make washed and distressed variations. Like those Eternal 811 jeans (which you could order through Blue in Green): [​IMG] I like the Kicking Mule 1980 and 1950 fits a lot. A great all-round slim jean with a universally popular fit. Amazing jeans you really gotta see up close. Two pre-distressed models: [​IMG] [​IMG] http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bri...il&SKU=9900012 http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bri...il&SKU=9900212

15. Murdoc

Murdoc Senior member

I like the Kicking Mule 1980 and 1950 fits a lot. A great all-round slim jean with a universally popular fit. Amazing jeans you really gotta see up close. Two pre-distressed models:

I really like the look of the kicking Mule 1950s from here, but the price has me hestiant on taking the plunge, since theres a lot of nice looking jeans for less.

http://blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB_Bri...il&SKU=9900009