I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. NinjaPirate

NinjaPirate Member

I've been mostly wearing bootcut jeans by 7famk as of late, and would like to switch to something more traditional. Could someone please suggest some dark straight leg jeans? Don't want anything that's relaxed or baggy, and would be a plus if it was in the $90-$120 price range.

edit: also might as well ask this question in here while we're on the topic of jeans: my measurements are 32x34, and i buy 32x34 jeans, though what i've noticed is that with most shoes i wear, the jeans end up rubbing against the ground/ripping on the bottom of the pants on the back. should i go for something a bit shorter? 32x32 is too short for me. i'd rather not get them tailored, because most i've tried in the past have screwed up the hem even when asked for the euro hem.

2. taco

taco Active Member

Cheap Monday, Naked and Famous. The longer inseam won't drag if you get a straight/slim/tapered leg jean, they will stack if you're wearing shoes.

3. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Double post, my bad

4. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

How to hem jeans: 1. Find a better tailor, one that will take the time to talk to you about your garments, take measurements, etc. I go to Adel at the Alderation Shop on 34th and 5th in NYC. But assuming you're not in NYC you can find good ones on Yelp or by asking elsewhere around here. 2. Soak the jeans or do whatever washing needs to be done before getting them hemmed so (a) the tailor is handling a clean garment (NEVER hand a tailor a dirty garment; they hate that and will bill you for the dry cleaning, so I'm told), and (b) all of the inseam shrinkage that's going to happen has already happened. 3. Decide what look you're going for. Are you cuffing the jeans? Heavy stacks? Light stacks? Clean to your shoe? Then convey that to your tailor when you walk in. If your tailor does not ask you that or make note of it, find a tailor who does. 4. Say if you want anything fancy on the hem like different colored threads or chainstitching or whatever (all optional; your tailor should just go with the same color thread that's present in the rest of the jeans by default). 5. Ask him to hem and mark the jeans where you'd like the break. Arrange the jeans as you'd like to wear them, and indicate where you want him to cut. When you talk to him about this, keep in mind that as you wear a pair of jeans, they will stretch out regardless of whether they're sanforized or not. So after six months you might have an extra quarter or half inch of length back. Slimmer cuts are better at accomodating this extra length than baggier ones or bootcut ones, because they can just be folded into stacks naturally (if you're going to cuff them in the end then the extra length is more or less a moot point). This doesn't only affect length, but it means that the area of the jeans that your knee touches will slide down with it, which is part of why very well worn jeans will often have tall vertical fades around the knees, i.e. a large swath of denim has been exposed to wear in that area. Part of the reason why people cuff their jeans, aside from the whole trendiness factor, is that it allows them to buy a pair of expensive jeans without spending $12 on a hem. If you think you look better without the cuff (and -- anticipating flame war! -- most people do), spend that $12. As for the jean recommendations: Albam denim is 80 GBP, so ~$120. Excellent quality, fits TTS, several cuts, Japanese selvedge (I want to say 12oz, but not sure). They fade slowly and are built to last. Ask them to ship via the post office (NOT UPS) so you don't get billed for customs charges. Otherwise go with EP's denim from Epaulet. New fits and makes are incoming over the next few months. PM Mike, the proprietor, on SF and he will get back to you, or read this thread. EP's denim is without a doubt some of the softest and best-fitting raw denim I've ever tried on. Really amazing stuff. $145, which is outside your price range, but worth the extra $25. He ships free anywhere in the US. Good luck!

5. NinjaPirate

NinjaPirate Member

thanks for the advice posted so far, but unfortunately the jeans mentioned weren't what i was aiming for (at least from the stuff that i found in the first few results on google - either not my style, or too expensive). i'll post a couple of examples of the styles that i'm interested in. please give your opinions on what you think of this look and the colors: 7famk standard (if faded) [​IMG] raleigh denim straight leg (if not faded) [​IMG] [​IMG] both of those jeans are well above my spending limit where the 7's are ~$200, and raleight being over $300. as mentioned before i'm looking to spend no more than $120. i've checked local stores, and most that had something decent on sale didn't come in my size, or had really ugly faded washes.

6. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Lol @ 17in leg openings

7. dragonxking

dragonxking Senior member

just received a pair of somet 003, and after wearing it for 2-3 hours, they feel pretty nice. the rise is incredibly low (8.5")

what do you guys think of the fit: yay or nay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. taco

taco Active Member

Naked & Famous Slim Guy Black Selvege seem to fit the description and retail at $130, but go sale for less. Levis 514 in Black Diamond or Tumbled Black $50-70

9. taco

taco Active Member

10. NinjaPirate

NinjaPirate Member

Naked & Famous Slim Guy Black Selvege seem to fit the description and retail at $130, but go sale for less. Levis 514 in Black Diamond or Tumbled Black $50-70

Here's a faded straight leg option: Acne Mic Le Black 32x34 @ $125 http://www.ssense.com/men/product/ac...ck_jeans/18166

those look nice (the naked & famous), but i'm looking for an indigo color instead of black. the other washes that they have don't look as good compared to that pair. i guess i'll keep looking.

11. taco

taco Active Member

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Does anyone know of a pair of jeans that are slightly looser than the Dior 19cm cut and more like the 21cm/new standard cut, BUT has a zip fly instead of a button fly?

It needs to be raw too.

Thanks in advance.

PS. In terms of the Dior 19cm and 21cm cuts, where do the Skinny/Weird/Slim guy cuts from N&FD fall? In other words, which cuts from NFD correspond to the 19 and 21 cm cuts from Dior (relatively; I understand they don't have the exact same measurements).

13. ysb

ysb Senior member

Does anyone know of a pair of jeans that are slightly looser than the Dior 19cm cut and more like the 21cm/new standard cut, BUT has a zip fly instead of a button fly?

It needs to be raw too.

Thanks in advance.

PS. In terms of the Dior 19cm and 21cm cuts, where do the Skinny/Weird/Slim guy cuts from N&FD fall? In other words, which cuts from NFD correspond to the 19 and 21 cm cuts from Dior (relatively; I understand they don't have the exact same measurements).

I tried on the RJB 106bsp at the self edge store and they've got a zipper. They might be what you're looking for

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=395

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I tried on the RJB 106bsp at the self edge store and they've got a zipper. They might be what you're looking for

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=395

Thanks for the suggestion, I really do appreciate it. However, those are a bit too loose for my liking.

15. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Two part question here: What's the difference (technically and in terms of how wear/fades will come out) between coated and overdyed denim? And more importantly, can someone recommend some coated and/or overdyed raw denim under $250? I already have my eye on 3sixteen ST-210 and Crate vs. Farinelli's (oh whoops that's right those don't exist). Ruled out the overdyed Nudies, as I'm not a fan of them... Any other suggestions? And/or -- can we get Crate vs. Farinelli's to happen again? [​IMG]