Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What's the best way to decide how much you should take off an inseam? I have two pairs that both measure 35" inseam and I have to tripple cuff them to have them break the way I like.

2. Julian84

Julian84 Well-Known Member

Why are there so many posts from guys who think they're Tom Platz? [​IMG] Teh denimz will stretch unless your thighs are freakishly large. Just look for a more accomodating fit (not matchsticks)

Seriously, I have big thighs myself and I fit into just about any jean that comes across this forum as long as it's not a super skinny fit. Unless you're Mirko fucking Crocop you can fit into most of the brands that come up here.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

What's the best way to decide how much you should take off an inseam? I have two pairs that both measure 35" inseam and I have to tripple cuff them to have them break the way I like.
    Cuff to where you can see them having just a bit of break (which is a little tricky with a big cuff) then add at least an inch, maybe a little more, if you aren't going to cuff. Every cut is different for many reasons, so you'll never find one consistent inseam length for all your jeans. Keep in mind that jeans will seem longer in the leg when new, before they get 'bunched up' from wear (for lack of a better term). I suggest two things: 1. wash/soak twice at minimum. Machine dry them if you ever plan to do that at any point in the life of the jeans. You want to get as much of the shrink out of the way as possible. Jeans usually do shrink more with a second soak/wash too. And no, machine washing and drying do not affect fading and creasing. 2. Allow an inch for cuff anyway - you can always hem them later. Honeycombs, lap creasing and stacking can and probably will make the inseam length seem shorter. Those take time to develop, and only wear and time will tell you what the ideal inseam should eventually be.

4. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

5. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

I posted this in the Question thread, and I don't mean to spam, but maybe this thread was more appropriate...

Thinking of buying APC jeans since I heard great things about them. Normally I wear a size 30x30 in jeans (Lucky Brand, Levis, etc...). What size should I get? 32x32?

Thanks!

(sorry for the double post)

6. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

^ Most people recommend sizing down 2. 3 for a skinnier fit and then size down 1 for a looser fit.

7. Julian84

Julian84 Well-Known Member

Can any flathead f380 owners give me an idea of how long I should wear these before they stretch a bit? When I first tried them on they were hard to button up but it didn't take longer than a minute or two, but they were extremely tight. They've given way a little bit but it's somewhat painful in the waist when I sit down.

8. robba

robba Well-Known Member

does anyone know where to buy Levi's STF now a days.
    almost everything is gone from Ebay.

9. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

does anyone know where to buy Levi's STF now a days.
    almost everything is gone from Ebay.

I just bought a pair from Zappos.

10. ysb

ysb Senior member

a month-long denim binge yielded: flat head 4001 (3001 in black I think) flat head BSP KMW 1980 epaulet EP's I have enough breaking in to do for the rest of the year, right? but now I'm kind of wanting to add a pair of Dior 19cm MIJ to the mix just so I can finish out this "collecting phase" and be all set for real [yeah right [​IMG] ] anyone with experience think that the DH would be redundant in that lineup? I've got other pairs of APC's, nudies, and acne's as well in my collection, but they've been worn. Something about having a queue of project jeans just fulfills something in me. Thanks.

11. connor

connor Senior member

19cm cut is different than those afaik

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

a month-long denim binge yielded:
    flat head 4001 (3001 in black I think)
    flat head BSP
    KMW 1980
    epaulet EP's

I have enough breaking in to do for the rest of the year, right? but now I'm kind of wanting to add a pair of Dior 19cm MIJ to the mix just so I can finish out this "collecting phase" and be all set for real [yeah right [​IMG] ]

anyone with experience think that the DH would be redundant in that lineup? I've got other pairs of APC's, nudies, and acne's as well in my collection, but they've been worn. Something about having a queue of project jeans just fulfills something in me.

Thanks.

Dior's philosophy isn't really in line with those brands. Denim quality isn't up to par- it is what it is, high fashun' jeans.

Some of those cuts are different from each other too.

13. connor

connor Senior member

they all are what are you getting at

14. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

they all are what are you getting at

[​IMG]

15. connor

connor Senior member

he asked if the 19cm cut would be redundant in that lineup... AKA if any of the others are cut like that it doesnt matter if others are cut like others