• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

CorneliusP

Reaction score
I am a mostly MC guy who is finally just about ready to upgrade to some "better than levis" jeans. I've got big ol quads and a huge steely butt, so my levi's 514s are a size 34 (with a 31" waist). It's kind lame absolutely needing a belt to make my pants not fall below my waistline. Is there a particular jean that caters to my kind of build, or should I size up for the legs and attempt to get jeans tailored in the waist (I do this for other slacks but never tried tailoring jeans)?

I should probably get some measurements huh.

3eyes

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of white 501s. What is the best way to make them not so blindingly white?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recommend me a jean for my body and mind:

33" waist, 23" thigh, 6'2" medium butt. Should fit slim but not too slim. The more "special" the denim the better - I just want something different, but unwashed. The more people that have been inconvenienced to make my jeans the better. I have always been interested in the hand dye stuff but always too late. I like really slubby denim too. In a word, qualitative. Should I wait for some limited edition to drop? When?

ffffuuuu.gif

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol

33" waist, 23" thigh, 6'2" medium butt. Should fit slim but not too slim. The more "special" the denim the better - I just want something different, but unwashed. The more people that have been inconvenienced to make my jeans the better. I have always been interested in the hand dye stuff but always too late. I like really slubby denim too. In a word, qualitative. Should I wait for some limited edition to drop? When?

ffffuuuu.gif

i've been wishing i had the funds for the studio d'artisan "crazy jeans". It looks like they've got size 32s remaining, which will probably be perfect for you.

23 ounce denim. the cool thing is that the left leg is left hand twill, the right leg is right hand twill. never seen anything like it.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
23 ounce denim. the cool thing is that the left leg is left hand twill, the right leg is right hand twill. never seen anything like it.
Evisu Japan did it a while back, I think Samurai may have done a pair before as well

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a followup to my previous question (after which I found the sub $200 jeans thread), I want to get a second pair of jeans after my dark indigo 28 APC NSs. As different as they may be, I'm looking at the Rag & Bone RB15 and the Naked & Famous Weird Guy...either black or a lighter indigo.

Does anyone have thoughts on which direction to go? As far as fit through the thighs and calves, the New Standards are just about perfect for me and I'd like something similar...definitly nothing with much more of a taper to the leg opening.

Quality is important and it seems the RB15 is superior in that regard.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
i've been wishing i had the funds for the studio d'artisan "crazy jeans". It looks like they've got size 32s remaining, which will probably be perfect for you.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

I normally call myself a 34" and by pants tagged 34. However, I have been finding them to fit a little loose, which is why I said 33. There are no measurements on the BiG page, which makes me hesitant to buy those.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol

ffffuuuu.gif

Context Clothing has some limited edition KMW size 33 that look real nice. I think they are hand dyed.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there anything you should tell a tailor before taking about 2" off of an inseam on a selvage pair of denim?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you want to keep the leg opening the same (if the jeans have any taper), it may require a bit of tapering as well (and if you want the selvedge outseam to remain the same, you'll need to request that the leg be taken in from the inseam). If you just want to get it shortened, then nothing else needs to be added.

whitekimchee

Reaction score
I've got big ol quads and a huge steely butt
Dude, I'm in the same boat as you and no there aren't a lot of jeans that cater to us (not fashionable ones anyway).

Don't bother wasting money even attempting to get the waist on jeans taken in

I work out a lot so I have a thin waist matched up with muscular quads and ass. For years i just sucked it up and wore my regular sz Levi's matchsticks, which by any stretch of imagination are not loose fitting jeans. They fit pretty well (aside from my quads bulging out from sides), however I have to admit they did get uncomfortable at times, especially in the summer. This year I felt I had enough and I decided to sz up in the waist. For the first time in years i felt like my balls could breathe and ****** cheeks weren't mushed together. In addition, my quads didn't feel as if they were fighting to get out of my jeans.

HOWEVER, I also realized the crotch area looked really loose. As if I was wearing a cup underneath my jeans. This was unacceptable. So now I've reverted back to my original waist sz. The only thing I can suggest is stick with your normal waist sz and get jeans that have some elastane in it. Or you could do your best to stretch out a pair of jeans, crotch blowouts and all.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are there so many posts from guys who think they're Tom Platz?
eh.gif
Teh denimz will stretch unless your thighs are freakishly large. Just look for a more accomodating fit (not matchsticks)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads