I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. CorneliusP

CorneliusP Senior member

I am a mostly MC guy who is finally just about ready to upgrade to some "better than levis" jeans. I've got big ol quads and a huge steely butt, so my levi's 514s are a size 34 (with a 31" waist). It's kind lame absolutely needing a belt to make my pants not fall below my waistline. Is there a particular jean that caters to my kind of build, or should I size up for the legs and attempt to get jeans tailored in the waist (I do this for other slacks but never tried tailoring jeans)?

I should probably get some measurements huh.

2. 3eyes

3eyes Member

I just bought a pair of white 501s. What is the best way to make them not so blindingly white?

3. connor

connor Senior member

I just bought a pair of white 501s. What is the best way to make them not so blindingly white?

wash them with dirty things

4. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Recommend me a jean for my body and mind:

33" waist, 23" thigh, 6'2" medium butt. Should fit slim but not too slim. The more "special" the denim the better - I just want something different, but unwashed. The more people that have been inconvenienced to make my jeans the better. I have always been interested in the hand dye stuff but always too late. I like really slubby denim too. In a word, qualitative. Should I wait for some limited edition to drop? When?

[​IMG]

5. connor

connor Senior member

samurai left field pbj etc. look into the BiG offerings

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

33" waist, 23" thigh, 6'2" medium butt. Should fit slim but not too slim. The more "special" the denim the better - I just want something different, but unwashed. The more people that have been inconvenienced to make my jeans the better. I have always been interested in the hand dye stuff but always too late. I like really slubby denim too. In a word, qualitative. Should I wait for some limited edition to drop? When?

[​IMG]

i've been wishing i had the funds for the studio d'artisan "crazy jeans". It looks like they've got size 32s remaining, which will probably be perfect for you.

23 ounce denim. the cool thing is that the left leg is left hand twill, the right leg is right hand twill. never seen anything like it.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

23 ounce denim. the cool thing is that the left leg is left hand twill, the right leg is right hand twill. never seen anything like it.
    Evisu Japan did it a while back, I think Samurai may have done a pair before as well

8. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

As a followup to my previous question (after which I found the sub $200 jeans thread), I want to get a second pair of jeans after my dark indigo 28 APC NSs. As different as they may be, I'm looking at the Rag & Bone RB15 and the Naked & Famous Weird Guy...either black or a lighter indigo.

Does anyone have thoughts on which direction to go? As far as fit through the thighs and calves, the New Standards are just about perfect for me and I'd like something similar...definitly nothing with much more of a taper to the leg opening.

Quality is important and it seems the RB15 is superior in that regard.

9. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

What do you guys think of April 77 jeans?

10. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

i've been wishing i had the funds for the studio d'artisan "crazy jeans". It looks like they've got size 32s remaining, which will probably be perfect for you.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

I normally call myself a 34" and by pants tagged 34. However, I have been finding them to fit a little loose, which is why I said 33. There are no measurements on the BiG page, which makes me hesitant to buy those.

11. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

[​IMG]

Context Clothing has some limited edition KMW size 33 that look real nice. I think they are hand dyed.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Is there anything you should tell a tailor before taking about 2" off of an inseam on a selvage pair of denim?

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Well if you want to keep the leg opening the same (if the jeans have any taper), it may require a bit of tapering as well (and if you want the selvedge outseam to remain the same, you'll need to request that the leg be taken in from the inseam). If you just want to get it shortened, then nothing else needs to be added.

14. whitekimchee

whitekimchee Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm in the same boat as you and no there aren't a lot of jeans that cater to us (not fashionable ones anyway).

Don't bother wasting money even attempting to get the waist on jeans taken in

I work out a lot so I have a thin waist matched up with muscular quads and ass. For years i just sucked it up and wore my regular sz Levi's matchsticks, which by any stretch of imagination are not loose fitting jeans. They fit pretty well (aside from my quads bulging out from sides), however I have to admit they did get uncomfortable at times, especially in the summer. This year I felt I had enough and I decided to sz up in the waist. For the first time in years i felt like my balls could breathe and my ass cheeks weren't mushed together. In addition, my quads didn't feel as if they were fighting to get out of my jeans.

HOWEVER, I also realized the crotch area looked really loose. As if I was wearing a cup underneath my jeans. This was unacceptable. So now I've reverted back to my original waist sz. The only thing I can suggest is stick with your normal waist sz and get jeans that have some elastane in it. Or you could do your best to stretch out a pair of jeans, crotch blowouts and all.

15. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Why are there so many posts from guys who think they're Tom Platz? [​IMG] Teh denimz will stretch unless your thighs are freakishly large. Just look for a more accomodating fit (not matchsticks)