1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

so, i've been doing my reasearch about rrl slim boot cuts, but still can't decide what size to get (yes, i have seen all the threads and still have no clue). i am a 33/34, but my main concern is the thigh and calf areas more than the waist (i have 19" calves). i wear a 32 in apc ns, but feel more comfortable in a 33, even though the waist is too big. any suggestions on sizing, i was thinking about 30 or 31...

2. dnk024

dnk024 Well-Known Member

Sizing down tends to be fine when the waist is the issue, it tends to not work out too well when its the thighs. Anyway, you have them so you're the only one that knows whether you messed up or not :p

yeah that's true..well..should i soak them before i start to wear them in or no?..sorry not sure if soaking does anything else but shrink the denim so yeah..

3. arghmellamopablo

arghmellamopablo Well-Known Member

for all evisu jeans ...

do they fit true to size? a size 32 indeed fits an actual waist size of 32?

however, i read that a size 30 EVISU actually fits waist size 32 3/4.

can someone validate that???

thxs

4. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Evisu No 1 denim is unsanforized and the tag matches the pre-shrink size of the jeans. In order to get the correct post-shrink size, you'd want to go with 2 sizes up.

No 2 and No 3 denim are sanforized so I don't think you have to worry about that.

5. zub789

zub789 Active Member

I need a jean reccomendation:

I am 5' 9" 146lbs, with a 29'waist, and wear a 29X30 in the 527's.
    I have switched from loose, baggy, light colored jeans to dark Levis 527 jeans.
    I dont like straight cut or super slim jeans, and normally opt for the bootcut. I like the fit of the 527's everywhere except the baggy ass.
    Can you make some recomendations on some quality jeans that would fit like the 527's with less material in the seat??? I would like to spend as little a possible, but realize quality jeans are 100-200$.
    I live in NCali and am close enough to the bay area.

6. pridecake

pridecake Senior member

i'd like to take the plunge and get some nice japanese denim. I was really eyeing the flatheads because of their awesome fading, but I want to be sure of the fit first. I have some APC rescues that I love the fit of with a nice full leg(I have big thighs), and I wanted to know if there are any flathead models with similar cuts to the rescues. Or should I look into Samurais or SDA's instead? Thanks

7. xchen

xchen Senior member

^ the Flat Head F380 is a fuller cut jean. You could look into that and see what you think. Could also size up an F310 or 3001.

8. dave

dave Senior member

kind of a rookie question but I'm kind of a rookie so...

what's an alternative to the APC NS in terms of cut? I have the NS and like them but I'm looking to add another similar in fit but possibly less austere? I dunno actually what I want but i know I want something with a similar fit if not a *tiny* bit more relaxed.

I'm not opposed to spending more $$$ than the NS either if that helps.

I'm not into sizing down a bunch and trying to squeeze my huge ass into my jeans either. I'm 6'2" and around 210 so i think it looks ridiculous on me.

9. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I've heard a bunch about 5ep's cuts being "slim but not skinny," yet the thighs look massive compared to other slim jeans. Does this give you weird birthing hips, or does it somehow maintain a slim profile despite the thunder thighs?

10. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

what's an alternative to the APC NS in terms of cut? I have the NS and like them but I'm looking to add another similar in fit but possibly less austere? I dunno actually what I want but i know I want something with a similar fit if not a *tiny* bit more relaxed.

I'm not into sizing down a bunch and trying to squeeze my huge ass into my jeans either. I'm 6'2" and around 210 so i think it looks ridiculous on me.

I like the ACNE mic a lot. It is a slim straight cut, but seems a little more forgiving then the NS, and there is not really any taper. The mic is not selvage, but the denim is very high quality and certainly holds it's own against APC.

11. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Bonus points for using a 10 cent word like austere, although I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

You can just size down less on NS, or go true to size, to make it a little more relaxed. It has a highish rise anyways, so depending on how you wear it it's not necessarily a slim cut. If you don't SIZE DOWN 2 (tm), maybe consider giving them a wash/tumble dry to soften them. A slightly oversized stiff raw jean can look a little weird.

Plenty of repro jeans actually fit the description of "similar to NS but a bit more relaxed" (which I'll take to mean mid-to-high rise and a bit of a taper): Sugar Cane 1947/1945, Studio D'Artisan SD-101, Oni Red or Oni Blue, Samurai S0500 XX, etc.

EDIT: Also, denim P.I.M.P. Ande Whall has a new cut called the Miner coming out soon - mid/high rise, full cut top block, tapered leg. $245 shipped, which is basically the cheapest you'll pay for any of the stuff I just listed, but you're getting jeans handmade from Cone Mills selvage...
    [​IMG]

12. dave

dave Senior member

Bonus points for using a 10 cent word like austere, although I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

You can just size down less on NS, or go true to size, to make it a little more relaxed. It has a highish rise anyways, so depending on how you wear it it's not necessarily a slim cut. If you don't SIZE DOWN 2 (tm), maybe consider giving them a wash/tumble dry to soften them. A slightly oversized stiff raw jean can look a little weird.

Plenty of repro jeans actually fit the description of "similar to NS but a bit more relaxed" (which I'll take to mean mid-to-high rise and a bit of a taper): Sugar Cane 1947/1945, Studio D'Artisan SD-101, Oni Red or Oni Blue, Samurai S0500 XX, etc.

By austere i kind of meant lacking in unnecessary detail. they don't have pocket details or fancy this and that like on a lot of the samurai, SC, types which i now find myself oddly into.

Thanks for the suggestions on the samurai model. I've been having a hard time figuring them out for some reason.

13. davo10375

davo10375 Senior member

Two questions:

Are the APC jeans lightweight? Otherwise what is some good lightweight raw denim (besides the rogan selvage mentioned above).

And; what are some decent light-wash jeans? Something for summer

14. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

Two questions:

Are the APC jeans lightweight? Otherwise what is some good lightweight raw denim (besides the rogan selvage mentioned above).

And; what are some decent light-wash jeans? Something for summer

They're a pretty dense, heavy pair of jeans. Brace yourself for ball sweat city if you're breaking them in during the summer.

Non-selvedge Rag & Bone is pretty light.

15. aerether

aerether Senior member

They're a pretty dense, heavy pair of jeans. Brace yourself for ball sweat city if you're breaking them in during the summer.

Non-selvedge Rag & Bone is pretty light.

Really? I don't think they're too bad in the summer at all.

Then again I live in NY where the maximum temperature ever seems to hover around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. And I do sweat a lot on my back :\\

16. dnk024

dnk024 Well-Known Member

was thinking of getting another pair of jeans and wanted to know whether I should go with a Streaky Ande Whall Slacker or KMW 1980 or if anyone has any other suggestions of jeans that fit like the Avg Joe with maybe a littler more tapering let me know!

thanks.

17. keenesbeans

keenesbeans Member

i've been lookin for a pair of heavier denim. anyone know some that fits similar to levis 511s?

18. Jon Tran

Jon Tran New Member

soooo im a beginner and i just bought a pair of APCs. is there a thread on here somewhere that basically gives you a tutorial on maintaining your denim?

19. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

The KMW Rockers at 16" at the knee and 14" at the leg opening. The widest point on my calfs measure 14.75 so would these jeans be able to fit me?

20. jcastelli

jcastelli Member

was thinking of getting another pair of jeans and wanted to know whether I should go with a Streaky Ande Whall Slacker or KMW 1980 or if anyone has any other suggestions of jeans that fit like the Avg Joe with maybe a littler more tapering let me know!

thanks.

I'm pretty sure the 1980s are slimmer than the Avg Joe, perhaps closer to a Straight Sven cut, so you may want to look at the 1950s. But I've never tried the 1950s on personally so I can't definitively recommend them.