Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. surrender

surrender Senior member

What jeans fit like the W+H slim fits? These fit great on me, and I'm looking for something similar. I've heard they're comparable to Dior 19CMs or New Cures, but I'd like to make sure

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

W+H (iirc) is tighter in the topblock and looser in the leg (less taper, inseam) than 19cms

3. Julian84

Julian84 Well-Known Member

I've decided to start wearing dressier shoes, mostly with chinos, but would like to be able to wear jeans, too. But I have found that some of the sleeker ones just don't work with my 501s. I bought a pair of APC NS and honestly I guess I am looking for something just a little bit slimmer in the legs.

Any recommendations for a mid/high rise (11" or so) jean? Around APC's price range.

http://www.epsdenim.com/collection.html ??

4. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

Just never wash them...Dry cleaning + good denim = [​IMG]

what do you mean never wash them??
    How do you get rid of the stains of semen then?

5. limester816

limester816 Senior member

Looking to get a new pair of raw indigo denim. Worn my APC's for about 5 months now and they look pretty good so I'd maybe want something like them. I was thinking something not so subdued, but maybe a design on the back pockets like the Self Edge x Imperial ones, but not so expensive. Less than 200? Thanks

6. doopari

doopari Member

Hi good folks of SF.
    I've been stomped on this question for a while now.
    I tried to do a bit of a search online but i couldn't find one like my case.
    So I bought a pair of Thinn Fins about 8 months ago and they were a size 31. After everyday wear, they seem to have either stretched alot or i have lost alot of weight (which i think i did).
    About a month and a half ago, i bought a pair of A.P.C new cures in size 29 and have worn them alot. They are still quite tight to a point where there are no wrinkles around the thighs (but there are crotch whiskers.)
    Now my question is, i REALLY want to get a pair of thinn finn dry black coated but i dont know f i should go for a size 30, or a size 31. If i go size 30, i'm afraid i wont be able to fit them at all, and if i go size 31, i'm afraid they'll stretch too much.
    Please help~~~

nudie
    [​IMG]
    APCs
    [​IMG]
    APCs
    [​IMG]

7. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Well-Known Member

8. connor

connor Senior member

to the thin finn guy, nudie denim stretches like a bitch but idk about the dbc denim. youd get a better response on mynudies

9. Julian84

Julian84 Well-Known Member

These are slimmer than APC NS? Measurements seem damn near identical to me..

The thigh is a tad bit slimmer. I couldn't find anything else in the price range that fit your description.

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I finally got my first pair of raw- Straight RRL's. I'm not sure I'm crazy about how high the rise is. This is my first day wearing them and I feel that at times I like how high they sit and at others it drives me nuts. Either way it's been a long day wearing these
    You really need to give higher rise and/or looser fit jeans time to break in before passing judgements. The real fit won't show itself until (1) those are soaked a few times, and (2) the fabric relaxes and drapes properly. Give them a few weeks minimum. Trust me on this, I've had identical experiences many times. Some jeans show their true fit right away, others have a prolonged 'awkward' period...
    I bought a pair of APC NS and honestly I guess I am looking for something just a little bit slimmer in the legs. Any recommendations for a mid/high rise (11" or so) jean? Around APC's price range.
    Please take a look at this thread which many people with more experience than me helped put together. Suggest taking a look at those EPs mentined (though measurements say they won't be radically different from NS). Also those new Tellason 'Strummer', if you can find them, or wait for their new cuts coming out, or the Blackbird house-brand jeans, Simon Miller or Dunderdon jeans are all what you might be looking for. All are listed in that thread link.
    what do you mean never wash them?? How do you get rid of the stains of semen then?
    Meh, don't waste your time with anyone who praises dry-cleaning jeans over soaking. It's a lost cause.
    Hi good folks of SF. I've been stomped on this question for a while now. I tried to do a bit of a search online but i couldn't find one like my case. So I bought a pair of Thinn Fins about 8 months ago and they were a size 31. After everyday wear, they seem to have either stretched alot or i have lost alot of weight (which i think i did). About a month and a half ago, i bought a pair of A.P.C new cures in size 29 and have worn them alot. They are still quite tight to a point where there are no wrinkles around the thighs (but there are crotch whiskers.)
    First question: have you soaked either of these? if not, learn to do that. It'll tighten and shrink the denim to a wearable point. Denim requires regular soaks (note: not necessarily washes) to keep them in shape. Second, the APC do take some time to really stretch (I'd say 2-3 weeks or more of daily wear). If they're still tight, esp. in the thighs, and you haven't soaked them, then you mis-sized. I suggest selling them on B&S asap if this is the case.

11. Acerola

Acerola Member

Is low rise the same as low waist?

12. whitekimchee

whitekimchee Well-Known Member

So I have a pair of jeans that are 98% cotton and 2% elestane. They're already pretty damn tight on me and I'm not really looking to have them get any tighter. I know i should soak them but should I do a cold or hot soak? or lukewarm?

13. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Well-Known Member

Please take a look at this thread which many people with more experience than me helped put together.

Suggest taking a look at those EPs mentined (though measurements say they won't be radically different from NS). Also those new Tellason 'Strummer', if you can find them, or wait for their new cuts coming out, or the Blackbird house-brand jeans, Simon Miller or Dunderdon jeans are all what you might be looking for. All are listed in that thread link.

Great link -- thanks a lot! I'll definitely check it out. Thank to Julian84 as well.

14. doopari

doopari Member

First question: have you soaked either of these? if not, learn to do that. It'll tighten and shrink the denim to a wearable point. Denim requires regular soaks (note: not necessarily washes) to keep them in shape.

Second, the APC do take some time to really stretch (I'd say 2-3 weeks or more of daily wear). If they're still tight, esp. in the thighs, and you haven't soaked them, then you mis-sized. I suggest selling them on B&S asap if this is the case.

thanks for the great tips!
    i haven't soaked the nudies yet and i'm going to do so tonight! [​IMG]
    one problem tho, i dont have a bathtub to soak the jeans in.
    does it matter if i were to find small bucket and put the jeans in (kinda stuff them ) filled with water? if not, is there a way to soak them?

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Is low rise the same as low waist?
    Usually, yes. That's a term used by catalogue companies to avoid confusing people. The term 'low' is relative though. "Low waist" to JCrew means a 10" rise, and that ain't low to me.
    So I have a pair of jeans that are 98% cotton and 2% elestane. They're already pretty damn tight on me and I'm not really looking to have them get any tighter. I know i should soak them but should I do a cold or hot soak? or lukewarm?
    Cold/lukewarm soak them. They'll be snug after a soak but will stretch back out fast. Since those are probably a one-wash jean, they won't get much tighter than the day you got them if you avoid the dryer.
    does it matter if i were to find small bucket and put the jeans in (kinda stuff them ) filled with water? if not, is there a way to soak them?
    Bucket, sink, rolled up, laid flat, etc. As long as you get them thoroughly wet and let them soak for about half an hour. Hang dry them and make sure to smooth out any visible wrinkles as they dry, or those wrinkles can set and become wear-spots as they fade. If this is your first soak, I'd recommend changing the water in that bucket or sink a few times. First soak will release a lot of dirt, starch and debris, which will just remain in the fibers if you leave them in the dirty water.