I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Senior member

Ok I know jeans are supposed to stretch a little, but it seems like every pair I wear for a couple months stretches out a lot to the point where they are unwearable.

So I started getting tighter fits and smaller sizes, but the same thing is happening; so why is this happening? Fat ass? Quality of jeans? Still buying too large?

Any insight would be appreciated because it's getting annoying.

2. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

lol

for the 316, it just means it's non selvedge. It's still raw denim. The denim will fade the same regardless of the construction method.

Selvedge is not the end-all of denim. That denim is limited edition coated Cone Mills denim (and, as far as I know, Cone doesn't often do coated denim). It doesn't mean jack in terms of selvedge vs. non-selvedge. The coating will affect fading. Do not soak/wash your jeans early (maybe ever?), the coating is easily washed off from what I've read. The denim will start black, wear through the coating in areas to become indigo, and then finally fade white (which means in time your jeans will be black, blue, and white... talk about contrast)

Clearly there's great non-selvedge denim out there, and Cone Mills is obviously one of the top mills in the world. I'm not a selvedge snob -- some of my most comfortable jeans are non-selvedge. Since people praise 3sixteen's selvedge denim endlessly, though (mainly because they are the most "mainstream styles" -- the indigo straight leg, black straight leg, and indigo slim), I was wondering what the difference was in terms of construction, stretching, shrinking, etc. I'm more interested in the construction and longevity questions than trendiness/denimnerdiness questions.

From a style point, though: Black jeans don't really look that great on me, so I'm counting on them having bizarre fades and losing the black color, and probably will do an initial soak to get some of the outer layer of black dye off. It's either that or exercising with them until they fade enough, and I've always thought that exercising with jeans on was crazy...

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Ok I know jeans are supposed to stretch a little, but it seems like every pair I wear for a couple months stretches out a lot to the point where they are unwearable.

So I started getting tighter fits and smaller sizes, but the same thing is happening; so why is this happening? Fat ass? Quality of jeans? Still buying too large?

Four questions:

1. How are you sizing your jeans?
    2. are you losing weight?
    3. What jeans are you buying
    4. Are you soaking them at all while breaking them in?

4. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Four questions:

big possibility they're pre-washes... prolly mall brand, lighter weights.

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Ok I know jeans are supposed to stretch a little, but it seems like every pair I wear for a couple months stretches out a lot to the point where they are unwearable. So I started getting tighter fits and smaller sizes, but the same thing is happening; so why is this happening? Fat ass? Quality of jeans? Still buying too large? Any insight would be appreciated because it's getting annoying.
    This is why you do research before a buy.... For almost any brand you'll find there's stretch/shrink info available
    Clearly there's great non-selvedge denim out there, and Cone Mills is obviously one of the top mills in the world. I'm not a selvedge snob -- some of my most comfortable jeans are non-selvedge. Since people praise 3sixteen's selvedge denim endlessly, though (mainly because they are the most "mainstream styles" -- the indigo straight leg, black straight leg, and indigo slim), I was wondering what the difference was in terms of construction, stretching, shrinking, etc. I'm more interested in the construction and longevity questions than trendiness/denimnerdiness questions. From a style point, though: Black jeans don't really look that great on me, so I'm counting on them having bizarre fades and losing the black color, and probably will do an initial soak to get some of the outer layer of black dye off. It's either that or exercising with them until they fade enough, and I've always thought that exercising with jeans on was crazy...
    Why buy the coated ones then? If you're going to wash off the coating it's going to be just about the same as the normal ones

6. Murdoc

Murdoc Senior member

Four questions:

1. Learning to size down, but like Kit and others mentioned to do some research before hand. But really if I went another size lower, I doubt they would fit me initially.
    2. It fluxuates, but nothing major.
    3&4. Icon would be correct in that I'm not doing anything fancy, I'm just trying to get a pair of levis to stay on me after a couple months before I go too crazy

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

What options do you have for a jean that is similar to APC rescue/new standard but will not fade with wash (treated i guess)? Thanks
    Two brands to look into: Iron Heart and Triple Works (specifically their "Permanent Indigo" model.) Raw jeans will eventually fade (denim in general does) but these are much more resistant.

8. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Two brands to look into: Iron Heart and Triple Works (specifically their "Permanent Indigo" model.) Raw jeans will eventually fade (denim in general does) but these are much more resistant.

Almost guaranteed you will lose interest in the jeans before those (well, Iron Heart from personal experience) fade.

9. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

Yet another few questions from me - is Jean Shop brand any good? Noticed a good price at Farinelli's.

What is their sizing like? What size would be better if I wear a 34 in APC NS, 33 or 34? Farinellis notes that the sizes run 1-2 large but I'm not sure how much stretch will be going on

And finally, what is the difference between classic fit in medium and classic fit in long? The descriptions seem to be exactly the same

10. cg35

cg35 Well-Known Member

Whats going to run the most similar to non-stretch April 77s? (I want to say the "Dictator" fit - they're raw and pretty stiff, and I'd like to get more pairs that are similar) Their stretch jeans end up being wayyy too baggy by the end of the day. I wear a 30 and don't want to spend over $200 new, ideally.

11. connor

connor Senior member

people seem to like Jean Shop, ive had no experience with them and cannot comment on sizing. the difference in Med/Long is inseam length

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I know chron is a big supporter, no personal experience with it though

13. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Why buy the coated ones then? If you're going to wash off the coating it's going to be just about the same as the normal ones
    I'm going to soak them, not wash off the coating. I've seen soaked pairs and they turn this dark indigo-grey heathered color. It's awesome. I'll post in the 3sixteen thread to see what experience people have had with fit/dye transfer. That stuff looks intense.

14. adamssutherland

adamssutherland Well-Known Member

I finally got my first pair of raw- Straight RRL's. I'm pretty sure I picked the right size after about 45 minutes of trying on different pairs and cuts at RL in Chicago. I'm not sure I'm crazy about how high the rise is. This is my first day wearing them and I feel that at times I like how high they sit and at others it drives me nuts. Either way it's been a long day wearing these, haha. I also tried the low rise straight RRL's but thought they were too low. Maybe the legs were a little too slim, too... couldn't quite get them as high as I wanted in back. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a pair with a rise that's closer to the Straight but not quite as high? Maybe a half inch/inch lower, that still has similar leg dimensions?

15. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Well-Known Member

I've decided to start wearing dressier shoes, mostly with chinos, but would like to be able to wear jeans, too. But I have found that some of the sleeker ones just don't work with my 501s. I bought a pair of APC NS and honestly I guess I am looking for something just a little bit slimmer in the legs.

Any recommendations for a mid/high rise (11" or so) jean? Around APC's price range.