I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Jump Around

Jump Around Senior member

Hi are these jeans too tight?

They look like they fit well, but I'm a noob so take that with a grain of salt.

2. asto

asto Active Member

Was looking for some recommendations on a new purchase.. currently have a pair of pbj xx-005 and sugar cane okinawas, different fits i know but i enjoy them both. Any recommendations on any brands I should look at for a slim-straight fit with "fun" denim..not just straight up slubbiest shit you can find but denim that has great vertical falling or goes through some drastic color change as it's worn. i know the question is vague but i basically wanted to hear about other brands that i may have not yet looked at. thanks for any help, guys.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Hi, this is my first post.

Is there an all in one complete guide to raw denim? I am looking to invest in a pair and want to see all the brands, and the tricks to get the most contrast in the fading.

Also are there any good pre-worn jeans, or is that just an all encompassing no-no?

4. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Was looking for some recommendations on a new purchase.. currently have a pair of pbj xx-005 and sugar cane okinawas, different fits i know but i enjoy them both. Any recommendations on any brands I should look at for a slim-straight fit with "fun" denim..not just straight up slubbiest shit you can find but denim that has great vertical falling or goes through some drastic color change as it's worn. i know the question is vague but i basically wanted to hear about other brands that i may have not yet looked at. thanks for any help, guys.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=3001040#post3001040

check out givemefive's fits... better yet, check out the whole thread__ it's only 6 pages short and mostly photos.
    Is there an all in one complete guide to raw denim? I am looking to invest in a pair and want to see all the brands, and the tricks to get the most contrast in the fading.

Also are there any good pre-worn jeans, or is that just an all encompassing no-no?

c'mon man! don't be lazy. 1stly, as most folks here [who've had extensive experience in denim] will tell you that there's no such thing as a "Perfect Denim Jeans". 2ndly, there's no singular [tried & proven] way to get the best fade/wear [on raw]. 3rdly [ ... & most importantly], the best part of embarking into a the denim adventure is not to arrive, but the "journey" itself.... which you'll find out once you get started in the immersion process.

Superfuture's "Superdenim" is a vast receptacle of raw [as opposed to well-collated] denim knowledge__ the downside is that you'll get mostly butt ataris from navigating through mindless junks. however, there's a thread we started here on SF that can [at least] get you started... and hopefully, with the valuable contribution from denimphiliac members, we can create a bank of helpful fit photos for easier/more convenient visual referencing.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=163400
    I am 5'9, 165 lbs, true waist size 31. I wear a size 29 in KMW 1950, size 31 in FH F380.
    I wonder if any SF members can recommend me appropriate size for Studio D'Artisan jeans, what model. Ideally, I would like a SDA jeans and/or Sugar Cane with slim straight silhouette. I tried contacting BiG but could not get through to owner, sales associate was no help at all. Thanks very much.

for '47s or 50's based fit: SDA 101, Skull 5507xx 6x6, SC Okinawa or Hawaii or 1947 :: but, if you want a slmmer straight cut, SDA 103 TTS @W31, Warehouse 660 sized down 2 @W29 ... even down to a W28 if you still got room [on your W31 FH 380]*** note: you size down 2-3 on these because of the weird sizing__ not cuz they're stretchy like the APCs.

also, i suggest you check out above referenced thread.

5. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

6. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Hi are these jeans too tight?
    How long have you had them? They look on the new side, and they'll stretch a bit so you should be fine. They're tight, obviously. Are those Grim Trims? Those are made to be tight.

7. vancity316

vancity316 New Member

No they are Slim Jims. I have had then for a week and have been wearing to bed every night and partly during the day.

8. connor

connor Senior member

why the fuck are you wearing them to bed

9. vancity316

vancity316 New Member

To increase the wear and fades. Is that bad?

10. connor

connor Senior member

man if you wanna wear your jeans to bed thats cool, but youre not gonna fade them anymore while youre asleep... they dont fade just by contact with your skin, they fade by activity and shit

11. vancity316

vancity316 New Member

OK thanks I thought that the contact with the bed would increase the fades. I also thought that it would help stretch them out a bit which it did.

12. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Ah, Slim Jim, Grim Trim, good guess or something. Anyway, they'll stretch more by the end of the month. Don't worry. They're going to be a skinny fit though. I assume this is what you wanted? Your fades will reflect the fact that you bought them skinny (sized down a few?), which is usually pretty interesting.

13. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Got a question myself, actually. The 3sixteen ST-210 (slim black coated) is 13.75 oz Cone Mills sanforized denim, but is non-selvedge. Can someone tell me (a) why that is and (b) what that means for the jean? Will it not last as long, fade differently, wear differently? Obviously because it's coated it'll have unique kinds of fade properties as well. Thanks a lot, folks.

14. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

OK thanks I thought that the contact with the bed would increase the fades. I also thought that it would help stretch them out a bit which it did.

lol

for the 316, it just means it's non selvedge. It's still raw denim. The denim will fade the same regardless of the construction method.

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Got a question myself, actually. The 3sixteen ST-210 (slim black coated) is 13.75 oz Cone Mills sanforized denim, but is non-selvedge. Can someone tell me (a) why that is and (b) what that means for the jean? Will it not last as long, fade differently, wear differently? Obviously because it's coated it'll have unique kinds of fade properties as well. Thanks a lot, folks.
    Selvedge is not the end-all of denim. That denim is limited edition coated Cone Mills denim (and, as far as I know, Cone doesn't often do coated denim). It doesn't mean jack in terms of selvedge vs. non-selvedge. The coating will affect fading. Do not soak/wash your jeans early (maybe ever?), the coating is easily washed off from what I've read. The denim will start black, wear through the coating in areas to become indigo, and then finally fade white (which means in time your jeans will be black, blue, and white... talk about contrast)