I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. axe

axe Senior member

Anyone have any experience with the 501 STF in "Light Blue"? I can't find any pics of a worn-in pair. [​IMG]

2. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

Anyone have any experience with the 501 STF in "Light Blue"? I can't find any pics of a worn-in pair.

[​IMG]

Not sure how that fades, I expect with the lighter color maybe not so much. That light blue seems like is a real nice color for those STF's I have been considering them myself only $36 on Amazon.

3. axe

axe Senior member

Not sure how that fades, I expect with the lighter color maybe not so much. That light blue seems like is a real nice color for those STF's I have been considering them myself only $36 on Amazon.
    Yeah, I'm not expecting major fading but I'd like to see real-life pics. They seem to have a very solid, almost plasticky finish in that studio pic.

4. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

Yeah, I'm not expecting major fading but I'd like to see real-life pics. They seem to have a very solid, almost plasticky finish in that studio pic.
    Not sure where you got that pic but the Levis' site has some good shots, not faded of course. Being raw I expect that look, Should soften up well with wear and a few washings. I like the white stiching on these. Correction $35 on Amazon with free shipping.

5. Parachute

Parachute Member

I have a pair of KWM 1980's size 30 and I am trying to find a pair of (raw) jeans with a similar fit. The only reason I'm looking to even purchase another pair is because my butt (or lack thereof) doesn't fill out the mighty seat of the 1980's very well, but otherwise I would say they are exactly what I want in terms of a cut.

I've looked at Flat Head, and I'm thinking a pair of tagged 31 380's would fit well based on some post-soak measurements someone took, but then again I thought I would really like the Skull 5010xx but they are just too slim for my tastes. I'm not suggesting the F380's would be too slim, of course.

I really like the 'darktone' effect on PBJ xx007's but I am unsure of how the cut compares to my KMW's, so any help you guys could give me would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

6. whitekimchee

whitekimchee Well-Known Member

So i have a pair of Levi Cap E matchsticks that I've pretty much dogged (crotch holes, thinning backside). I know Denim Therapy can take care of the holes, but can they do anything about the thinning of the denim in the ass area? I would call them but I'm at work. I'm located in NYC, do they actually have a walk in location or do you have to send everything in?

7. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

I have a pair of KWM 1980's size 30 and I am trying to find a pair of (raw) jeans with a similar fit. The only reason I'm looking to even purchase another pair is because my butt (or lack thereof) doesn't fill out the mighty seat of the 1980's very well, but otherwise I would say they are exactly what I want in terms of a cut.

I've looked at Flat Head, and I'm thinking a pair of tagged 31 380's would fit well based on some post-soak measurements someone took, but then again I thought I would really like the Skull 5010xxbut they are just too slim for my tastes . I'm not suggesting the F380's would be too slim, of course.

I really like the 'darktone' effect on PBJ xx007's but I am unsure of how the cut compares to my KMW's, so any help you guys could give me would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

you can TTS to +1 on the Skull 5010xx__ 5507 for more comfort fit. check out *5010xx fit [pls scroll down]:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=163400&page=2

**for 007 fit comparison:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=163400

8. Parachute

Parachute Member

you can TTS to +1 on the Skull 5010xx__ 5507 for more comfort fit. check out *5010xx fit [pls scroll down]:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=163400&page=2

**for 007 fit comparison:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=163400

Awesome, thanks so much for sharing this. Seeing the post-soak measurements and how they compare to your actual waist size definitely is giving me a better idea on what I should set my sights on next.

I still have my pair of Skull 5010xx's size 31 (TTS - natural waist is 31") but they don't fit like yours. In fact, outside of the waist, which stretched to at least 33", the jeans are just too slim everywhere else on me. I honestly think the 5507 would be a better fit if I ever decide on a pair of Skull denim again.

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I have a pair of KWM 1980's size 30 and I am trying to find a pair of (raw) jeans with a similar fit.
    I'll spare you the torture. There isn;t another option. My 1980s were my first real beloved 'slim' jeans. I already had 1950's, Somet 003, APC and Jean Shop Rockers at that point, and I've spent the last two years continuing to hunt for exactly that: the 1980 without the huge top-block for Western asses. Don't try Skull 5010 - I tried that, and your call is correct. Also, the 5507 isn't close to the 1980 (fuller thigh, classic vintage taper), but it's a very nice fit and slim in the hips Some alternates (that I've owned): Momotaro 0701: almost the exact solution for you, go TTS or +1. Best overall fit, slim in the hips and ass, slim straight leg. Somet 003: lower rise but also amazing. Go same size as your 1980s. Flat Head: BSP model, TTS. The other models on SelfEdge look good too. The Flat Head is a great call. I've only had the BSP model, which is a very nice alternate to the 1980, but the leg opening is 7.25", not ~8". The old 3000 series would have been a good bet, but SE isn't carrying it now.

10. ysb

ysb Senior member

Over the past few weeks I've been making an effort to condense my jean collection to a small number of high quality pieces.

I've bought:
    Flat head 4001bk
    Flat heat SE05bsp
    KMW 1980
    Epaulet EPs (amazing fit)

Its like I've been doing junkyard coke and finally blazed freebase for the first time

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Over the past few weeks I've been making an effort to condense my jean collection to a small number of high quality pieces.

I've bought:
    Flat head 4001bk
    Flat heat SE05bsp
    KMW 1980
    Epaulet EPs (amazing fit)

Its like I've been doing junkyard coke and finally blazed freebase for the first time

Hear ya. Condensing is hard to do. And I know the crack feeling.

Would those EPs be a good alternate fit for the KMW 1980s the guy above is looking for?

12. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Hey mylngard and anyone else: on selvedge jeans you cuff, have you ever had the inseam chain/lockstitch break and unravel a little bit around where the crease of your cuff is? I did a diy repair but wonder what approaches others have taken.. it's a little disheartening but I hope it's not a critical thing..

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Nope.

14. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Senior member

I am looking to buy some black Uniqlo raw denim jeans and need some information.
    How does sizing work with the brand? Their Explorer thing on their site is kind of confusing and doesn't say much.
    Does anyone know where I can find measurements?
    Which ones should I buy if I want a mid-rise slim straight-leg fit?

15. ysb

ysb Senior member

I haven't received the 1980's yet, but from what I've seen they're going to be more straight legged than the EP's. I would equate the EPs to a NS cut with a slightly smaller leg opening, maybe.