I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

hey. newb here. first (and maybe last) post.
    1)started off with levis 501 stf as a refrence point. 32x32 seemed alright.
    2) next came APC Rescues (based on research). 29". waist now okay. legs painted on at first. ass is terrible. back pockets extend too low for my height.
    3)emailed kiya. went with IH 634s. like em but don't love em.
    stats: 5'-7"/32"waist/25" quads (yeah really - i squat..eh.. heavy)

anyway, can anyone recommend something that might work a little better?

was thinking warehouse 660 (i like the smaller leg opening) or eternal 811. any advice? thanks. attached some fit pics of the rescues, ih's, and 501's in that order.

(can't help but think just throw in the towel and stick w/ the $35 sears levis..)

1stly, you need to have patience if srsly considering the dry denim jeans route. 2ndly, your body structure [eg, like Garmis] have limitations when it comes to the cut of the jeans. if you took some time to read, you'll know that most ppl giving good advise had their share of hits&misses. drys are not at all RTW__ it takes the right cut and more time for the denim to settle and adopt to you personal contours.

IHs are nice, but [imo] a bit too hXc for some1 just dabbling. it took me somtime to get into the heavy weights [eg, 17-19ozers] and yet to rock 21s & over__ tho', i don't think i ever would. you may have to size up on the 660s and 811s cuz they'll be a tight squeeze for the 25" quads.

Samurai 5000vx & Yamato s001xj have similar silhouette__ roomier thighs + mid rise :: you might want to venture into repro cuts, like :: the '47s [eg, SC '47, SDA 101, Momotaro 201, Samurai 510] :: '55s [eg, Skull 5507, FH 1005, Sugar Cane 1955 stovepipe] :: Fullcount 0105 ['53 cut] have a good thigh to hem opening proportions that might be of interest to you__ full thighs & ample trunk space with less than 8.5" leg opening [post soak/wash].

check this thread for visual referencing [fit pics comparison with measurements]:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=163400&page=2

2. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

While trying to pack stuff, I found one of my older pairs of jeans. The denim is extremely soft, no stiffness at all. Wondering how the fit of it looks since it might mean I don't need to bother looking for any black denim.

Thoughts?

I think the fact that they're a little more relaxed-looking (not relaxed-fit) than what you usually wear is a positive thing. They look good.

The engineer boot tuck looks a little silly, but that isn't the fault of the pants.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

looks dope aeglus

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

While trying to pack stuff, I found one of my older pairs of jeans. The denim is extremely soft, no stiffness at all. Wondering how the fit of it looks since it might mean I don't need to bother looking for any black denim. And I tried a boot tuck with it to see if it'd work: Thoughts?
    Wouldn't personally go with the boot tuck but the fit is decent for a relaxed look, anti-fit and all that goodness

5. gasoline

gasoline Senior member

6. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the feedback. Was tempted to toss them since I wore them where they're "supposed" to be at first and they were crushing my thighs. Sagged the hell out of them and now pretty comfy [​IMG]

100% best jean fit i've seen from you to date. who makes them?

It's Uniqlo premium denim from a couple years ago.

7. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

Quick question about tapering--

I just got a new pair of jeans (Kill City mod fit) that fits great everywhere, but the hem is a little larger than I'm used to. It's 8", whereas I'm used to 7.25-7.5". My question is: would I really notice a significant difference in the fit if I got them tapered a half an inch? It seems like such a small amount, so I'd rather not waste my money if it's not going to make much of a difference.

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Well the measurements you're using are actually doubled for the true measurement of the leg opening so a .5" change is actually a 1" change, and yes that's substantial. It'll also affect the leg from the knee down, although that'll probably be pretty minimally noticeable until you reach near the hem

9. connor

connor Senior member

if youve worn jeans with a halfinch smaller hem and like that more you should know already...

10. dissapointedengineer

dissapointedengineer Active Member

1stly, you need to have patience if srsly considering the dry denim jeans route. 2ndly, your body structure [eg, like Garmis] have limitations when it comes to the cut of the jeans. if you took some time to read, you'll know that most ppl giving good advise had their share of hits&misses. drys are not at all RTW__ it takes the right cut and more time for the denim to settle and adopt to you personal contours.

IHs are nice, but [imo] a bit too hXc for some1 just dabbling. it took me somtime to get into the heavy weights [eg, 17-19ozers] and yet to rock 21s & over__ tho', i don't think i ever would. you may have to size up on the 660s and 811s cuz they'll be a tight squeeze for the 25" quads.

Samurai 5000vx & Yamato s001xj have similar silhouette__ roomier thighs + mid rise :: you might want to venture into repro cuts, like :: the '47s [eg, SC '47, SDA 101, Momotaro 201, Samurai 510] :: '55s [eg, Skull 5507, FH 1005, Sugar Cane 1955 stovepipe] :: Fullcount 0105 ['53 cut] have a good thigh to hem opening proportions that might be of interest to you__ full thighs & ample trunk space with less than 8.5" leg opening [post soak/wash].

check this thread for visual referencing [fit pics comparison with measurements]:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=163400&page=2

thanks. i'll try that. i understand about the hits and misses. part of the learning process.

11. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

if youve worn jeans with a halfinch smaller hem and like that more you should know already...

True, but different jeans always seem to sit differently in the lower leg area. I'm going to go ahead and take them to my tailor this weekend.

Thanks guys

12. connor

connor Senior member

thanks. i'll try that. i understand about the hits and misses. part of the learning process.

i think you should stick with the 634s. they look like a good fit to me and its gonna get better. you're giving yourself headaches over this. sure, this is premium denim, but you're gonna enjoy them the most if you remember that it is just a pair of jeans.

13. dissapointedengineer

what dont you like about the 634s? your pics didn't attatch btw

nvm theyre there now. i think if you gave time for the seat on the 634s to settle youd really like them... it looks like a good fit to me. if you like the 501 cut why don't you try some LVC? www.shopfarinellis.com has every cut of the 501 right now

i hear ya. & i do like the 634s - more each day that i wear them. (kiya knows his stuff!)

thanks for the link.

14. dissapointedengineer

I'm not sure, but the RRLs fit a little bigger. I have a pair marked 33x34 and they fit me fine, the 31 apc rescues were so tight my quads would go numb and though could button them.

the rescues were so tight on my (crazy)hairy quads, after wearing them for a couple of weeks.. they weren't hairy anymore.

i actually wore them to the gym and did a leg workout. prolly not the smartest thing, but at least they loosened up a little.

15. dissapointedengineer

i think you should stick with the 634s. they look like a good fit to me and its gonna get better. you're giving yourself headaches over this. sure, this is premium denim, but you're gonna enjoy them the most if you remember that it is just a pair of jeans.

agreed.

i'd just like to have another pair or two that i like as much as the 634s. (this is mostly work-related - showing up everyday in the same pair of jeans.. i dunno.) but i'm gonna look at what was suggested.