Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bma

bma Senior member

You shouldn't.

[​IMG]

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I'm serious. If you think water will break your jeans, don't soak them. If you're not afraid of taking friendly advice, soak them.

I don't understand why people come on here not knowing a thing about denim, they ask a question, get an answer, and then immediately question the response they receive while opting to do the opposite.

3. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

Has anyone seen these jeans elsewhere:

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...=sr_denimmen80

I saw them at Barney's about a year ago, thought that they were one of the coolest fucking pairs of jeans I'd ever seen, but they were something like $550. Unfortunately, there's no way I'd ever fit a 34 in DH, probably more like a 30. If anyone's seen another webstore with this, please let me know!

4. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Has anyone seen these jeans elsewhere: http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...=sr_denimmen80 I saw them at Barney's about a year ago, thought that they were one of the coolest fucking pairs of jeans I'd ever seen, but they were something like $550. Unfortunately, there's no way I'd ever fit a 34 in DH, probably more like a 30. If anyone's seen another webstore with this, please let me know!
    I really liked those too when I saw them at the DH boutique. Think it was SS 2009. They didn't make it to sale time at my local store so I didn't pick them up. I think these are the same ones, the name even sounds familiar. Price is... yeah :p http://www.luisaviaroma.com/....

5. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

I really liked those too when I saw them at the DH boutique. Think it was SS 2009. They didn't make it to sale time at my local store so I didn't pick them up. I think these are the same ones, the name even sounds familiar. Price is... yeah :p

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/....

Those look the same, unfortunately they don't have my size and we seem to be going the wrong way in price, lol.

If only I were a 34, $335 from Yoox didn't seem like a bad deal.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

7. bma

bma Senior member

I'm serious. If you think water will break your jeans, don't soak them. If you're not afraid of taking friendly advice, soak them. I don't understand why people come on here not knowing a thing about denim, they ask a question, get an answer, and then immediately question the response they receive while opting to do the opposite.
    it's just that i'm getting conflicting advice, here. some people say soak, some people say don't. what i want is a reason WHY i should or shouldn't. and if i shouldn't why do people say you should? e: i'm refering to soaking new raws, btw. before you break them in.

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    it's just that i'm getting conflicting advice, here. some people say soak, some people say don't. what i want is a reason WHY i should or shouldn't. and if i shouldn't why do people say you should?

e: i'm refering to soaking new raws, btw. before you break them in.

I'm confused too.

9. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

it's just that i'm getting conflicting advice, here. some people say soak, some people say don't. what i want is a reason WHY i should or shouldn't. and if i shouldn't why do people say you should? e: i'm refering to soaking new raws, btw. before you break them in.
    If your jeans are unsanforized, it makes sense to soak because there will be significant shrinkage. Not only will your fit change, but any wear you had done prior to soaking/washing would move with the shrinking fabric. If your jeans are sanforized, there is no reason to soak.

10. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Those look the same, unfortunately they don't have my size and we seem to be going the wrong way in price, lol.

If only I were a 34, $335 from Yoox didn't seem like a bad deal.

Keep your eye out when the sales hit I guess, at least they didn't get discontinued [​IMG]

11. connor

connor Senior member

what other brands are there besides iron heart that have very very ridiculously heavy denim?

samurai has some pretty heavy shit iirc

12. splattered

splattered Senior member

If your jeans are unsanforized, it makes sense to soak because there will be significant shrinkage. Not only will your fit change, but any wear you had done prior to soaking/washing would move with the shrinking fabric.

If your jeans are sanforized, there is no reason to soak.

I've read that initially soaking sanfordized denim "opens the fibers" and makes them more susceptible to fading. On top of that there is also supposed to be some shrinkage despite the fact that they aren't unsanforized so i'm wondering if the creases/honeycombs would be more pronounced anyway due to the tighter fit...

I have two pairs i've worn for 3 months, and 1 pair that are brand spankin new and i've decided to give them all a soak and see what happens... don't plan on doing it again for at least 3-4 more months but i am interested in seeing how they each react.

13. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I've read that initially soaking sanfordized denim "opens the fibers" and makes them more susceptible to fading. On top of that there is also supposed to be some shrinkage despite the fact that they aren't unsanforized so i'm wondering if the creases/honeycombs would be more pronounced anyway due to the tighter fit...

I have two pairs i've worn for 3 months, and 1 pair that are brand spankin new and i've decided to give them all a soak and see what happens... don't plan on doing it again for at least 3-4 more months but i am interested in seeing how they each react.

Whatever shrink you get from sanforized denim, it will stretch back out to what it was.... with the exception of areas that do not have pressure- inseams and such.

It will open up the fibers and speed up fading, but you will also lose indigo all over and it "may" change the texture of the denim- for sure it will remove the raw sheen.

14. bma

bma Senior member

If your jeans are unsanforized, it makes sense to soak because there will be significant shrinkage. Not only will your fit change, but any wear you had done prior to soaking/washing would move with the shrinking fabric. If your jeans are sanforized, there is no reason to soak.
    oic. i guess it's not that big of a deal, then? since wearing the jeans would stretch them out again? e: does soaking them make them stiffer?

15. ysb

ysb Senior member

Double post