I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

what is the advantage of selvedge denim?
    It's usually (but not always) about the 'character' of the denim. How it wears and fades. There are many reasons.

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

After a serious lifestyle readjustment, I've managed to drop several pounds and my waist down to a 37. I'm in NOVA for the weekend and I was considering dropping by the Denim Bar to pick my first pair of raw denim, specifically, the APC New Standards. However, after looking at their website, I've noticed that they don't have a size 35. My question is should I go up a size or down a size? Or wait a little longer and drop another waist size before purchasing? Time isn't an issue since I live in the area and I can probably use the cash to get a pair of Allen Edmonds that I've been drooling over.

get the shoes. wait until you've lost the weight before you start buying clothing.

3. Whiskey

Whiskey Senior member

mlyngard - you are a machine! thanks man

4. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

what is the advantage of selvedge denim?

It sounds emo when you say it so you can get in the scene girl pants.

5. cmagne

cmagne Active Member

Hey I was wondering about the size of the jeans I got. They're RRL slim. I got a 30 waist. I plan on hemming them later on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is the fit what I would be looking for, or should I go smaller?

6. avery

avery Senior member

those clearly say straight leg, not slim. they fit like straight leg jeans. waist looks like it'll stretch to fit nicely. if you want a slimmer fit, buy the rrl slims instead of the straights.

7. cmagne

cmagne Active Member

are the slimfit version slimmer in the legs only or in the crotch area as well?
    and would I get the same size as these?

8. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

The pockets are spaced too far apart and they are slightly slanted. You'll especially notice this when you wear a wallet, with most jeans you'll be sitting on the entire thing- but with APC half of your wallet will be hanging off the side; and as a result you'll get a 'half-wallet' fade at first.

Cosign on this. I've worn mine for 6 months without a wash, and I only have a half-wallet fade at this point. I hope after I wash them the fade will start to develop more evenly.

9. Chango

Chango Active Member

What fits like APC Rescue, but with a higher back rise of about 1-2 inches? I was looking at PBJ 003 as a good alternative, or Samurai Mid/High Relaxed fit versions. thx.

10. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

soaking jeans does this to spurr classics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i don't have my tape measure handy but i'm pretty damn sure the inseam shrunk at least an inch.

my permanent advice after the pipes and classics is to soak spurrs as soon as you get them as it will not only change the fit a little but it stiffens them up so they crease up better.

These look 10x better post soak. Excellent fit.

I'm suddenly interested in Spurr. How did you size them?

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I just got my first pair of raw Indigo jeans. The are from the recent Gilt sale, Jean Shop with a somewhat relaxed fit. Only paid $35 for them and figure I can always get a more straight and slightly slim pair later on.

They came extremely wrinkled in the leg area. I was about to ask the best way to get the wrinkles out since I was not planning on washing them for a while, but now I have discovered everyone is recommending a "soak" with brand new raw denim.

This is new to me, but I assume everyone means to soak them placed in a sink or bathtub, with no soap, for a few minutes then hang dry them? Cold water? That would solve my wrinkle problem, but I don't want to do anything that will limit the possible fading from them being raw or shrink them.

12. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Senior member

An update on my request:
    I'm looking for a dark raw denim slim straight-leg jean with a rise of 12-13". If it has contrast stitching, I want it to be white. Any suggestions?

13. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I'm a little confused about washing v. dry cleaning v. soaking. I bought my first "good pair" of denim in Jan of 2009 (APC NS). I've yet to wash them based upon my fashionista friend's recommendation. He told me to dry clean only when its time, but it seems like washing is more recommended here. Who's right? I've got some decent fade going on, especially in the wallet area. The jeans don't smell yet, but I can tell that there's some dirtiness building up.

Additionally, I recently had the crotch blow out on one side and from what I read here, it seems like that can be caused by lack of washing. Luckily it was only on one side and my tailor patched it up (as well as the other side as a preventative measure).

And on a 2nd note, I'm looking for a new pair to add to the collection. I'm considering Nudies, but wanted to see what else is good out there. Would like to keep it in the $150 or less range (I picked up the APC for 100ish). For reference, I bought the APC NS in 34 and they stretched to 37ish, which is a great fit right now.

Advice please!

Wash or don't wash- it really is up to you. I have pairs that I wash rather frequently and others that have never touched water. Wearing hard and not washing does compromise the life of the denim however- but washing frequently will decrease the contrast in fading.

I would stay far away from Nudie if you managed to blow out a pair of APC's. APC isn't great denim but it is tough for what it is- my friend blew out his crotch after 2 years doing activities like skating and hiking in them (all with no washes)... his Nudie's gave out in 3 months. Try Naked and Famous.

14. Nopike343

Nopike343 Senior member

An update on my request:
    I'm looking for a dark raw denim slim straight-leg jean with a rise of 12-13". If it has contrast stitching, I want it to be white. Any suggestions?

It willl probably be hard to find dark jeans with white stitching especially with such a high rise.
    Maybe you are looking for something better quality but you may consider 501's. The lighter colors use white stitching and if you buy them one size smaller that usual you can probably get a relatively slim looking fit. At that price if you don't like how they turn out, big deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Levis-Mens-501.../dp/B0018OMRWQ

15. bma

bma Senior member

Short answer is a resounding yes.
    why? wouldn't it wash away some of the indigo therefore slow the fading process? (more specifically, i'm takling about apcs)
    It's usually (but not always) about the 'character' of the denim. How it wears and fades. There are many reasons.

such as...?