I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Looking to buy some black jeans that fit similar to Dior 21cms. Also, (and I don't know if I can explain this properly), I don't want them to be jet black but more like the black Imperials where it's darker than raw indigo but not black black.

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused about washing v. dry cleaning v. soaking. I bought my first "good pair" of denim in Jan of 2009 (APC NS). I've yet to wash them based upon my fashionista friend's recommendation. He told me to dry clean only when its time, but it seems like washing is more recommended here. Who's right? I've got some decent fade going on, especially in the wallet area. The jeans don't smell yet, but I can tell that there's some dirtiness building up.

Additionally, I recently had the crotch blow out on one side and from what I read here, it seems like that can be caused by lack of washing. Luckily it was only on one side and my tailor patched it up (as well as the other side as a preventative measure).

And on a 2nd note, I'm looking for a new pair to add to the collection. I'm considering Nudies, but wanted to see what else is good out there. Would like to keep it in the $150 or less range (I picked up the APC for 100ish). For reference, I bought the APC NS in 34 and they stretched to 37ish, which is a great fit right now.

Advice please!

3. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

brosnan6 I just let my jeans sit in hot water for like 10 minutes in the washer not moving or anything then spin them. That is if they are just need a freshen up and shrink. If I need them "cleaned" because something got on them I let them run for like 5 minutes.

4. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

brosnan6 I just let my jeans sit in hot water for like 10 minutes in the washer not moving or anything then spin them. That is if they are just need a freshen up and shrink. If I need them "cleaned" because something got on them I let them run for like 5 minutes.

I don't want a shrink -- they fit pretty much as perfect as I'd like them. Would dry cleaning be the route then?

5. todot62

todot62 Active Member

I bought a pair of J Crew vintage jeans, sight unseen. They fit great, and look to be very good denim; however, they are just way too bright blue! Is there a process of make them "dirty", maybe to get some brown tones in there to calm down that blue? Or do I just need to wash them a few times to lighten them up? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tod

6. user7

user7 Senior member

Looking to buy some black jeans that fit similar to Dior 21cms. Also, (and I don't know if I can explain this properly), I don't want them to be jet black but more like the black Imperials where it's darker than raw indigo but not black black.

Any suggestions? Thanks

You mean like "grey" black denim, where the warp thread is black and the weft is white, so the jean is sorta gray overall? Instead of overdye or black/black denim where both the warp and the weft is black?

Why not just get the black Diors? They are my favorite current jeans. black/white warp/weft

7. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

So I'm another paranoid denim noob.
    I got some naked and famous and I love them and I'm all excited.
    I can't remember all the shit I've read about raw denim so I soaked 'em in cold water and left them to dry while I went to work.
    I put them on when I got home while they were still damp and put my wallet in my back pocket and sat on it for a while. Now there's a stretched out imprint of my wallet, which seems like it would tear easier and sooner. Should I let that go? Could I make it go back if I soaked them again? Should I shut up and just keep wearing them?

8. Sander

Sander Senior member

I#m looking for a new pair of jeans. My autumn/winter favourite is the Efes Sky, and that's basically what I want in a leighter weight (year-round or summer weight would both be options).
    No-nonsense styling (though I wouldn't be afraid remove silly stitching if possible) and a 36" inseam are a must.
    What can you recommend?
    Oh yeah, I forgot: not too expensive. 200 € would definitely be my limit.

Bump.

9. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

I don't want a shrink -- they fit pretty much as perfect as I'd like them. Would dry cleaning be the route then?

Then use cold or warm water soak then spin dry. Its the heat plus agitation that causes shrinking. If I just soak them in hot they shrink a little, but when I agitate oh boy.

10. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

To all considering dry cleaning denim- there is no reason to do this. If they stink, wash them. If you don't want much shrinkage, use cold water and air dry them. Above all, stop worrying so much about your jeans unless there is some kind of catastrophic seam failure. I fully understand loving your jeans and wanting to keep them, but they are tough enough to make it through a wash cycle.

11. Classically

Classically Senior member

After a serious lifestyle readjustment, I've managed to drop several pounds and my waist down to a 37. I'm in NOVA for the weekend and I was considering dropping by the Denim Bar to pick my first pair of raw denim, specifically, the APC New Standards. However, after looking at their website, I've noticed that they don't have a size 35. My question is should I go up a size or down a size? Or wait a little longer and drop another waist size before purchasing? Time isn't an issue since I live in the area and I can probably use the cash to get a pair of Allen Edmonds that I've been drooling over.

12. bma

bma Senior member

if you're planning on losing more weight, i'd get apcs later.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

should i always soak new, raw jeans before i break them in?
    Short answer is a resounding yes.
    Am i past the point of no return? i kind of want to get some length out of the way.
    No, you're not. It's never too late to soak, and best to do it sooner than later, before the jeans really settle and conform to your body. You'll be surprised otherwise.
    Does anyone know where I can still find Levi 501xx STF 30x34 in the Knight color? They seem to be out of stock everywhere. "
    I'm assuming you tried Levis online? If so, try Macy's.
    I'm a little confused about washing v. dry cleaning v. soaking. I bought my first "good pair" of denim in Jan of 2009 (APC NS). I've yet to wash them based upon my fashionista friend's recommendation. He told me to dry clean only when its time, but it seems like washing is more recommended here. Who's right? Additionally, I recently had the crotch blow out on one side and from what I read here, it seems like that can be caused by lack of washing. And on a 2nd note, I'm looking for a new pair to add to the collection. Advice please!
    We're right, of course. You posted once before about some of this, right? Dry cleaning, as noted, is plain silly for jeans. Wash. Always soak new jeans for many reasons. They'll still be as dark and as stiff. Crotch blowouts happen for numerous reasons, particularly the fit, but don't underestimate stiff or dirty denim for premature tears. For new jeans, I'd recommend venturing into new territory (not Nudie), or get the Nudies but start thinking longer-term about some other more interesting denim. Nudie and APC are on the same level, imo.
    This is good advice.
    Shrink, sadly or not, is part of the game. Sell them and size up next time or soak and find out. If not, don't ever get them wet.
    So I'm another paranoid denim noob. Should I shut up and just keep wearing them?
    I wouldn't tell anyone to 'shut up', but yeah. And soak them.
    After a serious lifestyle readjustment, I've managed to drop several pounds the APC New Standards. However, after looking at their website, I've noticed that they don't have a size 35. My question is should I go up a size or down a size? Or wait a little longer and drop another waist size before purchasing?
    Tricky, since weight loss adds whole new variable to buying denim, which basically makes sizing them a moving target. If you're certain that you're going to be losing that extra waist inch, downsize one size now in preparation for it. Jeans will stretch a surprising amount to accomodate, within reason. Better to err on smaller than too big when first venturing into raw denim land. You can even do this.

14. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

You mean like "grey" black denim, where the warp thread is black and the weft is white, so the jean is sorta gray overall? Instead of overdye or black/black denim where both the warp and the weft is black?

Why not just get the black Diors? They are my favorite current jeans. black/white warp/weft

Yeah, that's what I mean.

I would get black Diors but I'd like to see if there is a cheaper option available as I'd rather not spend $350 on a pair of jeans at the moment.

15. bma

bma Senior member

what is the advantage of selvedge denim?