1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

My old and new ones are/were 39 inseam. I think the newest lot may possibly be slightly roomier (just got my new ones from this batch: I sized up to 32 from my last 31w (tight) pair), and was surprised at how much looser they were than I expected. But sizing up even one can do that...The newest batch seem to have a roomier top block than last...

In my experience, BiG is an inch too high for waist size on their chart compared to actual, but other dims match. A 30 is 30" dry, and then shrinks an inch. One inch with a hot soak. Two inches in inseam.

Am I missing your question, IIIrd?

had a strong suspicion that's^ the case. tnx man, exactly what i needed to know.[​IMG]

2. Kent Money

Kent Money Senior member

Thanks Icon. Did you have any other recommendations? The hem is a little larger than I would like on the fullcounts. For a 33 waist, im lookin to get something with like a 8" hem..maybe even slightly less.

3. SPK

SPK Senior member

Does anyone know a good place in around Philly or around the Main Line (if you know where that is) to get jeans hemmed and tapered. How much does that cost usually?

4. poena

poena Senior member

looking for a raw denim that doesnt have the weird looking butt like APC's (i think its the angle of pockets or distance between). i'm currently a size 27 in APC NS

thanks!

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Does anyone know a good place in around Philly or around the Main Line (if you know where that is) to get jeans hemmed and tapered. How much does that cost usually?

If you're not looking for a chainstitch on that hem, go to Steve's Tailors, 128 Chestnut (Front and Chestnut) in Old City/Society Hill. He's the only man I trust for tapers and he does a great hem. He works on a lot of jeans and all the boutiques around there refer to him

Hem and taper are both ~$20 each. Tell him Matt sent ya.

6. bananananana

bananananana In Time Out

Thanks Icon. Did you have any other recommendations? The hem is a little larger than I would like on the fullcounts. For a 33 waist, im lookin to get something with like a 8" hem..maybe even slightly less.

N&F weird guy tapers down at the hem

7. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i'm having a spurr dilemna. i got tired of the pipes and got the classics. now i think i like the pipes better.... granted, the classics are still pretty new and the pipes have a wash or 2 behind them. classic: [​IMG] [​IMG] pipe: [​IMG] [​IMG] or even just double up on RRL and get a rinse pair of the slim boots: [​IMG] input?

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

i'm having a spurr dilemna. i got tired of the pipes and got the classics. now i think i like the pipes better.... granted, the classics are still pretty new and the pipes have a wash or 2 behind them. input?
    Damn, both look great on you for very different reasons. Nothing wrong with having three in the stable. If you were on a desert island?; the classics. But you're not. I think you need to try wearing the pipes slouchier (more sag maybe), but that doesn't always work out naturally. Both cuts are gonna force different outfits to pull off well. The classics are more well-rounded as a universal cut on you though.

9. cmagne

cmagne Active Member

I was looking at a pair of RRLs and that selvedge stripe is no where to be found. I was wondering if that means they aren't selvedge or what

10. Asch

Asch Senior member

I'd say something between the pipes and the classics would be ideal for you. The RRLs are a good fit, although i don't like that wash much (the whiskering sucks, otherwise I like the color)

11. hnlax

hnlax Senior member

I like the way that the pipes look, but like mylngard I'd just pull them down a bit. I think it's a good fit on you, but maybe that's just because that's how I like to wear my jeans as well.

are you looking for another pair?

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Easy job unless you want it taken in from the inseam, which brings it to moderately easy. Any tailor should be able to do this job with no troubles
    i'm having a spurr dilemna. i got tired of the pipes and got the classics. now i think i like the pipes better.... granted, the classics are still pretty new and the pipes have a wash or 2 behind them. classic: pipe: or even just double up on RRL and get a rinse pair of the slim boots: input?
    Could not get past the blinding shirt....

13. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

thanks for the feedback. i'm giving the classics a soak now to see if that helps. spurrs are a motherfucker as far as breaking/settling in since they're so soft and fall all funky. the pipes are as far down as they can go without falling off.

14. Murdoc

Murdoc Senior member

Another quick/noob question.

I thought I had did an alright job measuring and bought a pair based on those measurments, but either my body is changing on a weekly basis(unlikely) or I measured wrong because I'm having trouble getting a "perfect" fit to stay perfect.

So Ill go to a tailor to get the size altered as much as I can, is there anything else I should ask for while Im there? or maybe just ask for their opinion of what they can do?

Alittle vauge I know, just basically is there a general rule of thumb for getting jeans altered beyond the obvious issues I'm having with a specific pair?

thanks in advance.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Another quick/noob question.

I thought I had did an alright job measuring and bought a pair based on those measurments, but either my body is changing on a weekly basis(unlikely) or I measured wrong because I'm having trouble getting a "perfect" fit to stay perfect.

So Ill go to a tailor to get the size altered as much as I can, is there anything else I should ask for while Im there? or maybe just ask for their opinion of what they can do?

Alittle vauge I know, just basically is there a general rule of thumb for getting jeans altered beyond the obvious issues I'm having with a specific pair?

thanks in advance.

My measured waist is larger than what I wear TTS in jeans. So you can't consider the waist measurement you get as the golden rule for dictating jeans size.

Your post is vague as to what you need altered though. Waist? Leg? Can you be more clear?

Also, jeans do change pretty dramatically from new. Stretch, break-in and the denim softening up are a few of the factors.