I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

i just feel like better creasing could obtained by not soaking because this denim softens up so quickly. Thy were literally super super comfortable after the first day of wear.

Would you guys say KMW are the softest denim? I could use a comfortable pair for the summer

2. dave333

dave333 Senior member

either cuff, hem, or stack. thats all your options

Is there a wrong way to stack/right way to stack? Or do you just let your jeans do what they do?

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Would you guys say KMW are the softest denim? I could use a comfortable pair for the summer

They're the 'softest' I've ever owned straight away, but most of my jeans have given them a run for their money once they've broken in. 'Soft' is a relative term for me though.

KMW aren't as perfect as you might think as summer jeans, even though they're lighter weight denim, they're exceptionally tightly woven. But give them a try. They're better than other's I've worn through the summer.

Is there a wrong way to stack/right way to stack? Or do you just let your jeans do what they do?

Just let them do (though some jeans, due to leg opening size, won't take to stacking well)...recommend allowing about 2", maybe 3" additional inseam length at most if you want to stack.

4. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

I wouldn't recommend stacking on any hem larger than around 8" or so..

5. Asch

Asch Senior member

I think APC has better fits- with the exception of the retarded backpockets that can make for some ridiculous diaper ass.
    What is it about the pockets or the rear rise that creates the diaper ass? I like everything else about the APC NS, but every fit pic I see looks really "off" in the ass area. Is it just a matter of the excessive denim stretching?

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

What is it about the pockets or the rear rise that creates the diaper ass? I like everything else about the APC NS, but every fit pic I see looks really "off" in the ass area. Is it just a matter of the excessive denim stretching?

The pockets are spaced too far apart and they are slightly slanted. You'll especially notice this when you wear a wallet, with most jeans you'll be sitting on the entire thing- but with APC half of your wallet will be hanging off the side; and as a result you'll get a 'half-wallet' fade at first.

7. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

First off, you're not short, or even close to short. 5-9 is the national average, and I'm 5-8 so if you say short, you're asking for a world of hurt [​IMG] I've done both cuts, and I feel the PS, though slimmer, have a more extreme taper than NS and doesn't work well for someone with more pronounced legs and pelvis area. Will make you look carrot-shaped. If you wear around a 29-33 waist, I'd say a 7.5"-8" leg opening, measured across is an ideal target. My suggestion is to look for jeans with a lower rise, and a "slim straight" or "slim taper" cut. Don't limit yourself to APC:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was browsing HB's APC thread to look for some fit pics of NS/PS, and found that my body shape is somewhat like this guy's:
    What would you recommend based on what you see above?

8. Asch

Asch Senior member

The pockets are spaced too far apart and they are slightly slanted. You'll especially notice this when you wear a wallet, with most jeans you'll be sitting on the entire thing- but with APC half of your wallet will be hanging off the side; and as a result you'll get a 'half-wallet' fade at first.
    Thanks, yeah, that makes sense. Wide spacing on the back pockets is a disaster. The only jeans I've owned that had a really great rear-pocket placement were Flat Head F3001s. The pockets were fairly close together and high up. Most denim designers place the rear pockets far apart and low, making the ass either disappear or look like you just took a dump in your pants. I really don't understand why this is done.

9. Badger

Badger Member

I bought some Nudie Average Joes in October last year, wear them as my everyday jean as they're my first decent quality pair of jeans, though I refrain from wearing them to certain things such as clubs and parties etc. The only place thats started fading that I can see is at the bottom of the legs near the cuffs. Should more of the jeans faded by now typically? Am I babying my jeans too much and should just wear them everywhere so I can start getting some proper, nice fades?

10. whereismyshoe

whereismyshoe Senior member

anyone have shipley jeans and can comment on them? i'm looking at the grey ones on gilt right now

11. ysb

ysb Senior member

sooo, I hot soaked a new pair of jeans then tossed em in the dryer for extra shrinkage...only to result in the insides of the jeans getting stained with indigo, in addition to the dryer (not an issue, just dried some darks and the stains went away). My question is if it's possible to get the insides of the jeans (and the selvedge line) white again. not a huge issue but next time won't be throwing new jeans in the dryer.

12. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions. I was browsing HB's APC thread to look for some fit pics of NS/PS, and found that my body shape is somewhat like this guy's: What would you recommend based on what you see above?
    NS. No question. The above pic is how they'll probably look on you.
    Thanks, yeah, that makes sense. Wide spacing on the back pockets is a disaster. The only jeans I've owned that had a really great rear-pocket placement were Flat Head F3001s. The pockets were fairly close together and high up. Most denim designers place the rear pockets far apart and low, making the ass either disappear or look like you just took a dump in your pants. I really don't understand why this is done.
    Diaper-ass with most jeans is also due to cut: a looser top block, higher rear rise, and major stretching. I didn't have diaper-ass nearly as bad with my NS's as with KMW and Jean Shop (omg, Jean Shop...jesus...). Also, long periods of sitting (class, desk job) without letting them rest or get soaked will accelerate it. Usually works itself out as the jeans soften and break in. Just ride it out until then.
    I bought some Nudie Average Joes in October last year, wear them as my everyday jean as they're my first decent quality pair of jeans, though I refrain from wearing them to certain things such as clubs and parties etc. The only place thats started fading that I can see is at the bottom of the legs near the cuffs. Should more of the jeans faded by now typically? Am I babying my jeans too much and should just wear them everywhere so I can start getting some proper, nice fades?
    Yes, you are. It's okay though, we all do at first. You'll get past it. Denimheads aren't being dismissive when they say "just wear them jawnz". And if you're afraid of washing them, you'll be afraid of getting them dirty, so get over that too. You'll be rewarded when you do. If the jeans are less than three months old, don't expect much of anything, even with 3-4 days a week wear or more. It doesn't happen overnight for any jeans.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

sooo, I hot soaked a new pair of jeans then tossed em in the dryer for extra shrinkage...only to result in the insides of the jeans getting stained with indigo, in addition to the dryer (not an issue, just dried some darks and the stains went away). My question is if it's possible to get the insides of the jeans (and the selvedge line) white again. not a huge issue but next time won't be throwing new jeans in the dryer.

Time and more washes are the only thing that will get rid of that. I know.

Take solace in the fact that your jeans will get stained inside with indigo even if that never happened. The indigo gets all over the pockets, selvage, etc, and actually works through the weft in places anyway.

14. garmis

garmis Senior member

anyone familiar with Blue Bell by Wrangler?

15. DenimFreak411

DenimFreak411 Well-Known Member

Alright guys, I need some major help. I would really appreciate it if you can help me on this -- I've been pondering on this for about a year now.

Well, today I went ahead and purchased this:
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...REL&prepushId=

I sized UP, as when I tried them on I thought they fit good with the stretching, but I'm afraid as I'm wearing them they will STRETCH too much so they will not fit as good. This is true right?

The issue is...If I size down then I can hardly button them up and such....I purchased a 33, but I'm usually a 31..... in waist, cause I wanted the fit I was looking for....

Please help!