I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. schrike

schrike Active Member

Email BiG and SelfEdge and ask what they're stocking at the moment. 3Sixteen and that new EP brand have them for under 200. Both are lighter weight.

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ght-Leg/Detail

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=482

Jean Shop has a nice lightweight black jean too. Nice stuff. See Rocker 'X' cut with button fly.

http://www.worldjeanshop.com/

Thanks; lots of good options (though makes it harder to decide [​IMG] )

Could also make an appointment with Blue Owl if you want to see KMW/PBJ/SC/other offerings. I really like KMWs [​IMG]

Yeah, I probably will do that -- last time I visited he didn't have a whole lot of denim, but it sounds like he's really stocked up recently. The Mr. Olive jeans I tried fit me really well, but there wasn't much in my size at that time.

2. Jump Around

Jump Around Senior member

Yep. Wash when needed, soak occasionally to keep them smelling fresh and clean-ish. Washing is very good for the jeans and necessary to prolong their life.

I meant the hype about having to wear for six months with no wash for any 'true' fading, or the hype about washing being horrible for indigo loss, retarding the fades, ruining the creasing, etc. It's silly.

Just bought my first pair of raw jeans; Assuming they stay relatively clean, when should I go for the first wash and how often after that?

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

When they get dirty. When they get dirty again.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Just bought my first pair of raw jeans; Assuming they stay relatively clean, when should I go for the first wash and how often after that?

Kit's not being a smartass either.

See how long you can go without washing, if you want. Good jeans are tough. But don't be afraid of water when it's time to wash. Regular washing improves jeans and it's nothing but good for them.

If you don't want to wash, interim soaks are always fine to keep them sanitary. Washes do strip off more denim (though not as much as internet lore will have you think). Machine wash cold, with regular old detergent, hang and air dry. Avoid dryer unless you want to shrink them more and risk indigo marks.

In the end, washes only fade them a small amount, and do nothing to take away from the contrast fade you want, unless you wash them weekly.

5. treysfull

treysfull Member

You're confused yet mysteriously attracted to it, aren't you? You want to try it but you're afraid, and that's okay.

Seriously though, there are practical reasons for it (the shrink/stretch cycles jeans go through while breaking them in, and also to avoid staining your shoes blue), and then there's the very elaborate subculture/style of cuffing, which has it's own followers for various reasons.

Wholehearted yes to confused, and after wanting to vomit at the first 9 pictures that 10th one is definitely mysteriously interesting....but I don't think I can really get behind this generally. I guess if I were going for the old guys' "yeah I've been around and my style is so unique and confident yet comfortable I even roll up my pants in public" attitude I can see it, but going for it at 22 just looks like I'm scared to get my shoes dirty or paying homage to past generations' life on the farm. The former is a fair point but I'd rather just have shoes that I can afford to get dirty and replace or not care about some blue tint on. Hoping to keep that moral compass as my knowledge of style develops. Time will tell.

6. Jump Around

Jump Around Senior member

Kit's not being a smartass either.

See how long you can go without washing, if you want. Good jeans are tough. But don't be afraid of water when it's time to wash. Regular washing improves jeans and it's nothing but good for them.

If you don't want to wash, interim soaks are always fine to keep them sanitary. Washes do strip off more denim (though not as much as internet lore will have you think). Machine wash cold, with regular old detergent, hang and air dry. Avoid dryer unless you want to shrink them more and risk indigo marks.

In the end, washes only fade them a small amount, and do nothing to take away from the contrast fade you want, unless you wash them weekly.

Thanks Kit and Mlyngard! I'll take any tips I can get. I appreciate the help guys.

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

Have you felt a pair in real life? The denim is very nice; is it overpriced compared to it's competitors? Likely. But it's no scam, it's not by any means an inferior jean- some people like the backpocket stitching and they have nice fits.

The denim really isn't too different that other sub $200 models. It's not very slubby, or particularly interesting, and the fits are more or less the same without variation or a wide range of cuts.

8. m..

m.. Member

Is the Acne Mod very different than the Acne Max? Should I size down compared to the Max?

9. Lynx_the_one

Lynx_the_one Senior member

How much cuff is too much?

10. howey

howey Member

Hey guys,
    I tried on some nudie slim jim dry blacks in 31/32 the other day and they fitted perfect.
    What size do you suggest I buy if I want them to fit as the 31/32 pair down the track?

Also is there possibly a cheaper alternative?
    Just some nice dry blacks that I can wear out at night and wear some sneakers with.

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

How much cuff is too much?

Dunno. You'll know it when you see it? When there ceases to be a functional reason for it?

I've seen three and four inch cuffs done really well. Depends on the cut of the jeans, how you wear them, and your personal style.

12. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hey guys,
    I tried on some nudie slim jim dry blacks in 31/32 the other day and they fitted perfect.
    What size do you suggest I buy if I want them to fit as the 31/32 pair down the track?

Also is there possibly a cheaper alternative?
    Just some nice dry blacks that I can wear out at night and wear some sneakers with.

3Sixteen and those new EP jeans have black under $200. Both are slim-ish cuts.

13. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Thanks Kit and Mlyngard! I'll take any tips I can get. I appreciate the help guys.

If they are completely raw, as in not sanforized or one wash, then remember to wash them before you start wearing them.

14. John_Edward

John_Edward Senior member

Essentially not until the cat's pissed on them.

If you decide to dry-clean them, make certain that THEY ARE NOT PRESSED! This just happened to me. Time to find another pair.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

I think I'm going start to recommending people who buy KMWs not do an initial soak or wash. I still recommend that most jeans be presoaked, but the denim on KMWs is too soft to get sharp creases without the starch. If you are going for a vintage fade or don't care about sharp creases, I would definitely recommend the soak because they shrink a bit in the inseam. the denim also uses very fine invidvidual warp and weft threads that probably contribute to it lack of ability to take creases well. The also stretch like a motherfer in the inseam too.