I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. murso74

murso74 New Member

I'm a tall guy (6'5") and skinny, although i'm getting up there in age and losing the battle of the bulge... the only jeans i can find that i know fit are Gap, American Eagle and BR, but i don't really like gap and BR and AE is getting old... i want something NICE but i can't just walk into a store and try anything on becuase i can't fit in anything smaller then a 36 inseam. i tried a couple of the "lucky brand" stores but they never carry the long sizes that they have online, and the online store only has relaxed fit in extra long. 7FAM seems to have a pair of bootleg and straight leg that would fit me, but other then that i cant' find anything. i finally found Buckle.com but i ordered a pair of Manchester esc (they were on sale and i didn't want to drop a buck fifty on someting i didn't know would fit) and even though they were supposed to be a 36 inseam they fit like a 34. i'm going nuts here trying to find a nice pair of jeans.

right now buckle is showing "in my size" BKE, Rock revival, big star and MEK. i know little to nothign abotu these brands, and i'm hesitant to return what i already wasted money on for something more expensive that's not goign to fit. are there any tall guys out there that can help me out?

or shoudl i start my own thread..

thanks
    Matt

2. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

Find a store that has return shipping, but most of the brands discussed in this thread come in long lengths. A lot of skull/iron heart/samauri jeans are 37/38" inseam.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

are there any tall guys out there that can help me out? or shoudl i start my own thread.. thanks Matt
    My first realizations which made me think differently when getting into raw and selvage denim a few years back was A) all raw denim has long inseams, many up to 40" (and are based on consistent principles). My first suggestion is to go to a place that sells Levis, (or the GAP), and take a tape measure. Determine which fit you like best, and analyze which areas of the fit you dislike and would prefer to change about it. Then measure the jeans this way (which is sort of industry standard) : http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41 If you can tell us "I like Levis 514 cut, but the rise is too low and I hate zip-fly", it gives us a lot more to work with from a starting point. Also, peruse the selection from www.blueingreensoho.com and www.selfedge.com, as well as the other affiliates links at the top of this page, like Farrinellis, Context, Blue Owl, etc. See what you like in the details, etc too. We'll help you find something you like.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I have never bought raw selvedge high end denim before. I have read up on the forums and these seem to be pretty well liked. I was more focused on these ones because they are lower rises and I am only 5'8 so I'm not sure how well a 10+ inch rise will work on me. Any input on the brand or actual denim would help.

I'm 5-9, and I like jeans with low rise. I also wear my jeans low, which is more of a factor when you decide on rise. I was in heaven when I found jeans with lower rises out there.

10" and less is a smart place to look. Shrink-to-fit jeans (all of your choices but Somet) all loose 1/2" in the rise too when they shrink.

Those are all amazing cuts and fits. My suggestion is to try the Somet first. BiG has a good exchange policy, so if the rise is too short, etc, you can try the next option.

Somet is also the smoothest denim, which more 'beginners' like. PBJ and Samurai are slubbier, which is an acquired taste for many. All are amazing.

5. bananananana

bananananana In Time Out

Looking to get the N&F slim guy 21oz. I got a size 31 in the Gap straight selvedge jeans, which were pretty tight in the thighs and perfect in the waist at first but they've stretched out a lot and now theyre too big even after soaking. What size should i get in the N&F if I'm trying to size down 1, since I've read the 21oz's stretch out just as much.

6. Max Biggavel

Max Biggavel Senior member

7. ranker

ranker Senior member

How do the different nudie styles compare to APC NS's? I might be looking at picking up a pair and wonder what sizes I should order in various nudie styles if i'm a 29 in APC NS's.

8. murso74

murso74 New Member

I'm 5-9, and I like jeans with low rise. I also wear my jeans low, which is more of a factor when you decide on rise. I was in heaven when I found jeans with lower rises out there.

10" and less is a smart place to look. Shrink-to-fit jeans (all of your choices but Somet) all loose 1/2" in the rise too when they shrink.

Those are all amazing cuts and fits. My suggestion is to try the Somet first. BiG has a good exchange policy, so if the rise is too short, etc, you can try the next option.

Somet is also the smoothest denim, which more 'beginners' like. PBJ and Samurai are slubbier, which is an acquired taste for many. All are amazing.

ok here's something that confuses me... i've measured a bunch of the inseams for jeans that i wear and alot of the ones that are supposed to be a 36 inseam are only 33-34 inches actually measured. same thing with the waist... i measure about a 38-39 around the spot that i like my jeans to sit and a size 36 still has a little room for me. does the size/inseam number not equal the actual measurement?

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

ok here's something that confuses me... i've measured a bunch of the inseams for jeans that i wear and alot of the ones that are supposed to be a 36 inseam are only 33-34 inches actually measured. same thing with the waist... i measure about a 38-39 around the spot that i like my jeans to sit and a size 36 still has a little room for me. does the size/inseam number not equal the actual measurement?
    The waist measurement is supposed to be the size of your waist, not where the pants usually sit. If the pants are low rise, the waistband will be longer then your waist becuase they don't sit on your waist. If the pants sit on the waist, then the measurement should be the same. Unless they're vanity sized, in which case bomb the designer's house. When a size uses a unit, it's not supposed to redefine said unit.
    I have never bought raw selvedge high end denim before. I have read up on the forums and these seem to be pretty well liked. I was more focused on these ones because they are lower rises and I am only 5'8 so I'm not sure how well a 10+ inch rise will work on me. Any input on the brand or actual denim would help.
    Higher rises elongate your legs and can help you look taller. I would at least try a pair or two with a higher rise on.

10. murso74

murso74 New Member

11. user7

user7 Senior member

^ Yes, the measurement's dont match up because they are vanity sized. For example, you can feel less fat thinking you have a 36" waist instead of a 39" (no offense, but that's why they do it; to make people feel better). Measure the jeans that fit you using this guide: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41 Then, if you buy from selfedge or BlueInGreen you will notice that they give actual measurments of all the jeans, not just the often misleading "tagged" size.

12. murso74

murso74 New Member

^ Yes, the measurement's dont match up because they are vanity sized. For example, you can feel less fat thinking you have a 36" waist instead of a 39" (no offense, but that's why they do it; to make people feel better).

Measure the jeans that fit you using this guide: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

Then, if you buy from selfedge or BlueInGreen you will notice that they give actual measurments of all the jeans, not just the often misleading "tagged" size.

great.... that just makes things harder.. how do i know which brands do it and which dont? and i guess that applies to the inseam too? although i dont' know why they'd do that.. i really dont' need to think i have longer legs then i do. i'll take a better look at that site but unfortunatly from what i've seen just about everthign on there is skinny and tapered.. not really the look i'm going for. tall guys in skinny tapered jeans is not really my thing. was looking more for a straight leg/bootcut. i'll look again though. any suggestions?

thanks for your help btw.. there's very little on the web that i've been able to find that is helpful. most sites try to steer me towards "big and tall" stores

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

The waist measurement is supposed to be the size of your waist, not where the pants usually sit. If the pants are low rise, the waistband will be longer then your waist becuase they don't sit on your waist. If the pants sit on the waist, then the measurement should be the same. Unless they're vanity sized, in which case bomb the designer's house. When a size uses a unit, it's not supposed to redefine said unit. Higher rises elongate your legs and can help you look taller. I would at least try a pair or two with a higher rise on.
    The waist measurement should match the tagged size, if it isn't then that's deviation, vanity sizing, compensation for shrink, etc. not all low-rise jeans are supposed to be worn low on the waist and not all low-rise jeans have vanity sized waist measurements. Many mall brands are vanity sized because many Americans are fat [​IMG] If you're in the market for artisan denim (general categorization for the high-end denim we like 'round these parts), the sizing info and measurements and whatnot are easily available between SF and sufu NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!! High rises will make your legs look shorter because it makes it look like your legs are on as long as the distance from the hem to the bottom of the rise, if you have a low rise jean, that length increases and your legs look longer.

14. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Yup, and unless you cinch your belt very tight, walking around will drop the waistband of your pants and bring the crotch down farther towards your knees.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

General rule of thumb is never go by tagged waist size on most jeans, go by actual measurements (this applies to Levis especially).

A high rise allows those who wear their pants higher on the waist to avoid ball-crunch. Lower rises allow you to wear your jeans lower on the waist and still have a nicely fitted top block.

It all depends on how you wear your jeans (high or low), so, to Kit's point, a low-rise can actually let you wear them lower and still enhance your leg length.