I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

Yea, I keep checking measurements on your Grifters because I want them. The only thing though is the waist will be 2-3.5" too big as of now and even more with stretch. I'd probably fit the rest but only the waist, I could fix that with a belt. Also I'm changing my training from work capacity to strength so I'm looking at gaining 20lbs over the summer which would help with that problem, something I should think about it. Ugh jean shopping is a pain!

Looking at the andewhall - size chart for the grifters I should probably add .5" or something considering stretch? What are the stretch like in andewhalls? Also, am I half blind or does your grifters not have any pocket details?

The stretch exists, but is not huge, and it is not fast. A hot soak should get the waist back down to 34"-ish, and I don't feel like they're eager to stretch if you're not putting pressure on them. Mine do have pocket details, they're black-on-black.

[​IMG]

Out of respect for the thread, I'll leave my sales pitch at that.

If I could conjure up black denim for myself now, it'd probably be Slackers in a 35 waist. But he isn't making that right now, unfortunately.

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ahh cool, those jeans are dope and for the price you are asking I'm surprised they are not gone. I will keep them in mind.

Seriously though, black denim.. illusive!

3. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

Ahh cool, those jeans are dope and for the price you are asking I'm surprised they are not gone. I will keep them in mind.

Seriously though, black denim.. illusive!

Not a lot of 34+s out there, as far as I can tell.

I keep being tempted to just suck it up and try to break them in. But now I've gone and gotten a pair of Skull 5010 6x6, so I feel somewhat obligated to follow through on getting the AWs sold, to balance that out a little.

4. Rolovis

Rolovis Member

I wore my raw denim while slightly damp, and now the knee area is stretched out. They're new (only worn for about 2 days). Can I safely resoak them and still get high-contrast fades 6 months later?

5. ubc121

ubc121 Senior member

I plan on buying a pair of Imperial Dukes and I was wondering if the rise is too high for someone who is 5'8. I got a reply saying that it would be ok if I "slouch" them. What is that?

6. Lynx_the_one

Lynx_the_one Senior member

RRL Selvedge, normal size or should one size down? Do they stretch much?

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Chainstitching in Auckland, NZ?

Got a pair of KMWs on the way. First pair of quality denim, tryna do right by them.

Don't waste your time. Chainstitching is overrated and in your case would be needlessly expensive.
    Are there any special considerations for hemming selvedge jeans? My only pair of raws is a pair of uniqlo selvedge and they are just way too long. I've been rocking em cuffed AND stacked.
    No, not really. May want to soak before hemming.
    I wore my raw denim while slightly damp, and now the knee area is stretched out. They're new (only worn for about 2 days). Can I safely resoak them and still get high-contrast fades 6 months later?
    Yes.
    I plan on buying a pair of Imperial Dukes and I was wondering if the rise is too high for someone who is 5'8. I got a reply saying that it would be ok if I "slouch" them. What is that?
    High rises are meant to be worn up on the waist than low on the hips; by "slouching" your pair, you're wearing them down at your hips. They're basically telling you to sag your jeans.
    RRL Selvedge, normal size or should one size down? Do they stretch much?
    I'm guessing you've never tried on a pair. Depends on the cut but I find that the latest models fit comfortably from the get-go; typically, this is a flag to size down one as they will stretch out.

8. Lynx_the_one

Lynx_the_one Senior member

I'm guessing you've never tried on a pair. Depends on the cut but I find that the latest models fit comfortably from the get-go; typically, this is a flag to size down one as they will stretch out.

No, not really. Could someone a good place in DC area to try them on post snowpocalypse?

9. treysfull

treysfull Member

Jean recommendation please? $200 max I'm thinking raw but open to suggestions. i'm tall and a little bit of a gut. Waist- 38 Inseam 33. Will the APC's work at this size I see they only go up to 36 but I assume they'd stretch out would the inseam be Ok for them? Any other brands/styles that I should look into for looking better on bigger guys? suggestions for a secondary <$100 pair?

10. Aparke612

Aparke612 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of APC NS that I like the fit on in the thighs and the rise and everything i just dont like the small hem?
    Whats a pair of jeans that fits similarly but doesnt taper as much?

11. Kaddillak

Kaddillak New Member

I'm a jean noob looking to buy my first pair of raw denim, either going with N&F skinny guy at my normal size (which would be just less than skin tight in the thighs) or a slightly downsized N&F weird guy. I'm a bit confused because in some pictures the weird guy fit looks way too baggy for my tastes, and in others the skinny guy looks too skinny.

I wear my pants low on the hips, and ideally I'd like a mostly skinny fit with enough room for my thighs to breath. I'm not "jacked" at all, but I do lift so my legs are a little thicker than some people that wear skinny jeans (6 ft 164 lbs for reference). I'm mostly afraid of the jeans fitting good in the thighs but being too baggy from the knee down, or getting a tight pair of jeans that doesn't end up stretching enough.

I'm open to other suggestions, but keep in mind I'm a poor student who can't really afford to spend more than around $100.

Thanks.

12. ubc121

ubc121 Senior member

So I have moved on from my original choice of Imperial Dukes now its four choices.

Somet 003
    Blue in Green xx-013
    Samurai S0505XXII
    Pure Blue xx-005

Which one should I choose?

13. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

Size down one on the RRL's for the person who asked compared to levi 501's.

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

So I have moved on from my original choice of Imperial Dukes now its four choices. Somet 003 Blue in Green xx-013 Samurai S0505XXII Pure Blue xx-005 Which one should I choose?
    Somet has the lowest rise (which is distinct), PBJ 005s will be most snug in thighs and top block. Middle two will be most forgiving of the 'slim' fits. All four are amazing in different ways. If those are your choices, you might also want to consider Momotaro 0701 and Warehouse 660s (if you haven't already). Do you want our assessments on their fits, or the denim?

15. ubc121

ubc121 Senior member

I have never bought raw selvedge high end denim before. I have read up on the forums and these seem to be pretty well liked. I was more focused on these ones because they are lower rises and I am only 5'8 so I'm not sure how well a 10+ inch rise will work on me. Any input on the brand or actual denim would help.