I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I just bought these jeans a couple hours ago. they are spurrs. Can I email them and get one so I can have a matching one?

Disregard above. Exchange them. Rivets sometimes don't go all the way through, or rivet incorrectly. Not an issue, but ask for a new pair.

2. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

it's cool, I know it's a trivial matter. These crates are my test jeans as I got them new for $50. I've yet to throw a pair of raw jeans in the wash so I was just asking how you guys decide when to wash them, other than judging by smell, since mine don't smell.

Getting your jeans wet does cause it to lose indigo, but only if it's agitated. For example, soaking in water will not cause it to lose much indigo. However, taking a wet piece of cloth and rubbing it against the denim for a minute or so will cause a lot of indigo to come off. Going at this repeatedly, you could probably make all of the indigo come off in an hour or less without affecting the integrity of the denim. (not that I suggest doing that cus you'd get really high contrast fades and look ridiculous).
    I think the bottom line is that you have to sweat in them, because the indigo comes off more easily when it's damp. Though I'm guessing that salt does bad things to cotton, so I'm probably gonna wash these soon that they don't end up like the jeans in that picture.

I don't know. Seems like I'm obsessing but I just thought I'd experiment on these pair of jeans while getting in shape.

3. PiperInAlberta

PiperInAlberta Senior member

Asked a similar question in the GAP Denim topic, but I clued in and figured this may be a better place for it so all the denim-heads can answer.

My best fitting pair of denim is a pair of GAP selvage jeans in the authentic fit. I've also got a pair of Even Steven Nudies (and that basically comprises my denim wardrobe, I've got another pair of nudies but I'm undecided on the fit and may sell them if I can).

What other dark, raw denim brands/styles (preferrably <$200) fit relatively close to both the authentic fit GAP denim and the Nudie Even Stevens (i.e. I'm looking to pick up 2 more pairs in similar fits)? I would guess APC Rescues and perhaps N&F Slim Guy, but I could be wrong (new to the whole raw denim world, my idea of quality denim used to be A&F).

4. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

The naked and famous weird guys seem similar to the GAP's to me. I've lost a bit of weight so the sizes are a bit different. The rise is slightly lower on the naked and famouses and slightly thimmer, but like I said, its a 3&quot; waist size difference so that would make sense.

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

it's cool, I know it's a trivial matter. These crates are my test jeans as I got them new for $50. I've yet to throw a pair of raw jeans in the wash so I was just asking how you guys decide when to wash them, other than judging by smell, since mine don't smell. Getting your jeans wet does cause it to lose indigo, but only if it's agitated. For example, soaking in water will not cause it to lose much indigo. However, taking a wet piece of cloth and rubbing it against the denim for a minute or so will cause a lot of indigo to come off. Going at this repeatedly, you could probably make all of the indigo come off in an hour or less without affecting the integrity of the denim. (not that I suggest doing that cus you'd get really high contrast fades and look ridiculous). I think the bottom line is that you have to sweat in them, because the indigo comes off more easily when it's damp. Though I'm guessing that salt does bad things to cotton, so I'm probably gonna wash these soon that they don't end up like the jeans in that picture. I don't know. Seems like I'm obsessing but I just thought I'd experiment on these pair of jeans while getting in shape.
    Thanks for being a good sport[​IMG] At the end of the day, you're not going to see much of a change when you wash. It's not dramatic at all, and can be a major disapointment if you're hoping for more. But you may see it actually helps future fading. It's good to treat those Crates as 'test' jeans. Hands-on experience is the best way to really find out. Edit: Indigo: I've worn many jeans in rainstorms and gotten soaked, and wearing them wet doesn't really speed things up as much as you think. Water (or sweat), like you said, isn't going to fade them alone, you need abrasion too. But you'll find that even with a washcloth and damp abrasion like that, you're only really taking off a very small surface amount of dye, mostly dye that's already loose. Your washcloth may look intensely blue after a few wipes, but that because of the intensity/saturation of the dye. (I tried this once or twice a long time ago, hoping to stop my hands from turning blue...) Even washing only subjects the jeans to a small amount of abrasion. Indigo is much more color-fast than people think, although certainly not like industrial synthetic dyes. Crates, being made from deadstock denim, are harder to fade because they probably weren't dyed using the hank-dyeing/rope dyeing process which only dyes the surface of the thread (as Kit mentioned). But they should fade as much as any pair of Levis in time. As you noted, salt, and also dirt and starch all act as microscopic sandpaper on cotton threads, but also attract more dirt to them, which starts a chain-reaction. Even occasional soaks are better than nothing.

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Asked a similar question in the GAP Denim topic, but I clued in and figured this may be a better place for it so all the denim-heads can answer.

My best fitting pair of denim is a pair of GAP selvage jeans in the authentic fit. I've also got a pair of Even Steven Nudies (and that basically comprises my denim wardrobe, I've got another pair of nudies but I'm undecided on the fit and may sell them if I can).

What other dark, raw denim brands/styles (preferrably <$200) fit relatively close to both the authentic fit GAP denim and the Nudie Even Stevens (i.e. I'm looking to pick up 2 more pairs in similar fits)? I would guess APC Rescues and perhaps N&F Slim Guy, but I could be wrong (new to the whole raw denim world, my idea of quality denim used to be A&F).

Hey - one protip: get a tailors tape measure (best $1.95 you'll spend in clothes) and measure your favorite GAP jeans after a wash, before they stretch back out. Measure across like this (and memorize this technique):

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

Then note those measurements and use them as a point of reference. See this thread for tons of respectable sub-$200 raw jeans out there

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157881

7. DGP

DGP Senior member

I believe the main difference between those two is that the skinnyguys are cut slim from top to bottom while the weirdguys are a little more relaxed in the thigh/seat but still retain the taper from the knee down.

The slim guys have a true straight leg, so yeah they probably won't stack much.

I have the weird guys in deep indigo and love the fit but from what I've heard it's a little hit and miss depending on your body type. I bought them in my true size (32) and have experienced very little stretching, I believe the general consensus is go TTS or only down by 1.

FWIW I think they feel very durable.

To follow up, would you consider the look of the WGDI denim elegant enough to dress up? I wear jeans to work every day and like to have some pairs that can be worn to meetings, lunches, etc. when I have to look very professional to the outside world and have to look a little more upscale. I usually wear raw Helmut Langs or Rag & Bones for these days, but wanted to branch out a little.

8. obeserabbit

obeserabbit Senior member

Any secrets to stretching a pair of jeans in the thighs and especially calves? besides the damp method/doing lots of squats in them?

9. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Based on people's experience how much do the Jean Shop Rockers stretch?

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Any secrets to stretching a pair of jeans in the thighs and especially calves? besides the damp method/doing lots of squats in them?
    That's really going to be the only way. That, wearing them, and time.
    Based on people's experience how much do the Jean Shop Rockers stretch?
    Like, whoa... More than any other jeans I've owned. More than APC.

11. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Good to know.
    I followed your previous advice and got the smaller size. They are tight now but will stretch out to be perfect.

That's really going to be the only way. That, wearing them, and time.

Like, whoa...

More than any other jeans I've owned. More than APC.

12. 70gransport

70gransport Well-Known Member

Just tried on some black Levis 511 the other day and liked the fit through the leg, though as there is 1% spandex in the denim I probably could've went down another waist size. This is the slimist denim I've tried on however I want to feel as though I'm wearing jeans not leotards. As I've no experience with slim/skinny cut jeans does anyone here have any advice for some preium denim in a similar if not better fit? Off the top of my head I'm thinking IH9301, ST-210, Skull 5010or maybe something from somet? Thanks for the help.

13. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

^3sixteen slim-leg is tight through the whole leg... but then has a slight flare at the leg opening...(which doesn't make sense according to the measurements, but that's what some people have noticed).
    Actually the measurements are correct (going by the size 29), it measures 7.5 at the knee, and 7.3 at the opening exactly. What it fails to mention is that from the knee down to the leg opening, the slimmest point is somewhere around 6.8 inches. lmao, I just realized this after measuring just now.. no idea why it's cut like that or maybe a defect, but I stopped wearing my ST-210s long time ago cus they look like slim-leg boot cuts. Probably gonna sell them or get them altered one day.

I have no idea how those Levi's fit. Measure the legs, thighs, and knees, then look for those measurements online.
    (actually I just looked it up.. may be similar to skulls if you're looking for a higher rise. IH has smaller leg opening.. all depends on the kind of shoes you're gonna wear them with). Might be even more similar to crate routes or some APCs if you're lookin for somethin cheaper.

Question: What do you guys think about steam cleaner laundry machines? My parents have had this LG Tromm front loader for a few years and I just noticed that it has an option for steam cleaning.

Never used it before.. gonna try it on a shirt, and then maybe a pair of jeans.

14. PiperInAlberta

PiperInAlberta Senior member

Hey - one protip: get a tailors tape measure (best $1.95 you'll spend in clothes) and measure your favorite GAP jeans after a wash, before they stretch back out. Measure across like this (and memorize this technique):

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

Then note those measurements and use them as a point of reference. See this thread for tons of respectable sub-$200 raw jeans out there

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157881

Awesome, thanks for the help. Saving up money while I'm away, so when I get back home I can invest in some decent clothing.

15. 70gransport

70gransport Well-Known Member

December, thanks for the help.