I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whitekimchee

whitekimchee Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how 484 slim fits fit in comparison to Levi's Capital E matchsticks? I've pretty much only worn matchsticks for most of my adult life or so and I'm contemplating venturing into other denim brands. However, I'm very skeptical.

I work out a lot so my glutes and thighs are pretty muscular, are the 484s closer to Levi's 511s?

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

left my samurais with the tailor yesterday to fix the hem (coming apart at the selvage seam). i hope he doesn't do anything stupid to them
    If he knows what he's doing, he'll run a lockstitch along the inside seam behind the selvage fold-over. Did you read that post I wrote about that and ask him to do that?
    I work out a lot so my glutes and thighs are pretty muscular, are the 484s closer to Levi's 511s?
    The 484s are slightly slimmer than the 514 with a slightly lower rise, but are a straight leg with slight taper. Good jeans as far as I can tell, if you avoid the distressed models.

3. whitekimchee

Thanks mlyngard. So what's the difference btwn the 484s and the slims fits? aside from the price tag.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Thanks mlyngard. So what's the difference btwn the 484s and the slims fits? aside from the price tag.
    I think you just said it. Selvege denim, I believe. Go to a store and check them out. I think you'll get a more sophisticated cut than the 510 or 514.

5. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

Hey I have these pair of dry denim that I've worn for 6 months now, I can't tell if much fading has occurred but it certainly looks different than when it was new + there is great contrasting.

Should I wear it for 6 months more, and try to wear it till the creases fades to white? Or does that only happen after you throw it in the wash?

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hey I have these pair of dry denim that I've worn for 6 months now, I can't tell if much fading has occurred but it certainly looks different than when it was new + there is great contrasting.

Should I wear it for 6 months more, and try to wear it till the creases fades to white? Or does that only happen after you throw it in the wash?

How many days a week do you really wear those things, December? And what make? Six months of one day a week isn't the same, which I'm sure you 'get'.

For fading, and at six months ownership, I'd wash them, for lots of reasons.

7. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

I use to wear these everyday.. for like 4 months.. then I started rotating them with another pair.

I didn't want to say the brand (Crate Routes) cus people will say that these don't fade much, when I've seen pictures of really nice worn out pairs.
    There's definitely vertical fading goin on, whiskers, combs... it just hasn't faded to white (is it suppose to before a wash?) but the ass / knees haven't faded much cus I don't do much sitting in them.

They don't smell, and I recently started running in them for 30-40 min a day (after showering), so they've been getting a lot of intense wear and sweat soaked in. I'm thinking of just keeping these to run in and not actually wear them outside till I wash them, lol.

Will I be like "wow!" after they come out from the wash? If not I'll work on them a little longer.

8. whitekimchee

Seriously dude why the F*CK would u be running in jeans? get some shorts or sweatpants my man.

9. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

why not? people skateboard and do other activities in jeans... so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and run on a track machine in my house to get rid of this gut. Jeans lose indigo when they're wet and the fabric rubs against each other or your hands.

How long does it take for the thighs to fade to white? (or is that just from people rubbing their sweaty palms on their jeans) The thighs and knees on my jeans don't fade for some reason.

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

You may never get to white..... If you're sweating and getting the jeans dirty the weft can turn brown/yellow (or if it starts unbleached from the start). Which looks better, imo. My KMWs have a perma-dirty look to them, which I think is awesome. My PBJs went straight to white on the back pocket, depends on the jeans (some brands will make a big deal about undyed cores, supposedly they'll be more likely to develop white fading)

11. mr. burns

mr. burns Senior member

I found these old pair of raw denim jeans but they have been washed a lot so they are pretty faded but not daddy style faded. They don't have any creases or honey combs. Do you think jeans that have washed a lot have any chance at getting some character?

if they've been washed a lot, they're not raw.

12. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

a rivet came off, how do I get it back on?

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

You can't reuse a broken rivet, you'll have to go buy a set (usually 100) and fix it or pay someone to do it

14. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

I just bought these jeans a couple hours ago. they are spurrs. Can I email them and get one so I can have a matching one?

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

if they've been washed a lot, they're not raw.
    That's not what he's asking.
    a rivet came off, how do I get it back on?
    I've seen some other members here and on SuFu contact the manufacturer (or the store) and ask. Both times, rivets were sent, as these should really last the life of the jeans. I had a rivet fall off some new Jean Shops and they were replaced. In both cases I saw online, the owner was sent replacement rivets. The problem is that a rivet requires a rivet driver or a hammer to re-install. If you use a hammer and fuck up, and they sent you only one or two, you're in a tricky situation. I'd say contact 'Denim Doctors' in LA, or maybe BiG or SelfEdge and ask them for guidance. Where did you get the jeans?
    They don't smell, and I recently started running in them for 30-40 min a day (after showering), so they've been getting a lot of intense wear and sweat soaked in. I'm thinking of just keeping these to run in and not actually wear them outside till I wash them, lol. Will I be like "wow!" after they come out from the wash? If not I'll work on thm a little longer.
    I don't want to trivialize your concern (and Crates are good jeans), but your worry and effort over fading those things is crazy. Just wash them and see what happens. It won't stop the fading. There seems to be this myth that water either causes all indigo to come off, or halts fading entirely. Both are bizarre and not really reasonable. Jeans fade through wear and washing. That's it. Running in them won't speed up much fading but will probably speed up a crotch blow-out. If you can't see white now in the creases, they won't be coming for a while. Good jeans won't fade overnight. It takes months or even a year or two of regular wear to get what you want now. Earning a fade is just that: it takes time and patience. In the mean time, don't do silly things to make it happen faster. And invest a little time into taking care of them like soaking or washing them - it's what the denim needs to stay healthy and last a long time. Care and occasional washing really can, and often really does make them fade faster. Look, here's a picture of a pair of jeans from the SuFu evo thread that were worn for an extended period of time with no washing at all. They look like they'll fall apart with the next rainshower. I'm all for wearing without washing for high-contrast fades, but you want to avoid this too: [​IMG] Okay, rant over. Sorry man.