I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Skull 5507XX and Momotaro 0201 seem like the frontrunners - any idea if the 0201 are slim up top like the 0701 (I assume that's the model you were referring to)? BiG's pic makes it seem like they might be: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/comp...z_back_web.jpg
    Gotcha. Yeah, you've got a tricky build for some cuts for sure. I'd say your two front runners are an excellent choice. I guess you know then that you'll typically loose about 1/2" rise when soaked with stf denim. No experience with the Momotaro 0201, but I've found manufacturers seem to follow a fit-philosophy with their cuts, and so the top-block fit often follows. This can change though when the thigh and back rise increase, so you may want to consider those dimensions too as much as the front rise. Shorter rear rise usually means a snugger top block. Also, look for cuts (when laid flat) that are clearly cut narrower through the hips, like the Skull 5010 here (versus the Sugar Canes '66 with an obviously more generous hip area) pictured: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

3. tehbry

tehbry Senior member

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

Gotcha. Yeah, you've got a tricky build for some cuts for sure. I'd say your two front runners are an excellent choice. I guess you know then that you'll typically loose about 1/2" rise when soaked with stf denim.

No experience with the Momotaro 0201, but I've found manufacturers seem to follow a fit-philosophy with their cuts, and so the top-block fit often follows.

This can change though when the thigh and back rise increase, so you may want to consider those dimensions too as much as the front rise. Shorter rear rise usually means a snugger top block. Also, look for cuts (when laid flat) that are clearly cut narrower through the hips, like the Skull 5010 here (versus the Sugar Canes '66 with an obviously more generous hip area) pictured:

Yeah, the BiG images are what drew me to the 0201s. Context worn pics look a little bulkier up top though.

Are BiG's measurements still considered to be about a size off? I usually wear a 31 but am wondering if I should go with a 32 for these.

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Yeah, the BiG images are what drew me to the 0201s. Context worn pics look a little bulkier up top though. Are BiG's measurements still considered to be about a size off? I usually wear a 31 but am wondering if I should go with a 32 for these.
    I know for a fact they're off for the 0701 Can't speak to the other models. Plus, I just sold my Momotaro 31s and went up another size to 32s. I'm usually a 30/31 waist or so, and those 31s, (which shrink a full size when soaked) didn't stretch much at all. I was amazed. The fit was compounded by the snug top block. So I would say TTS (per tag size) at the minimum, or go up one, especially if you want a looser, slouchier fit. I think Context's size charts are very accurate for those.

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

I know for a fact they're off for the 0701 Can't speak to the other models.

Plus, I just sold my Momotaro 31s and went up another size to 32s. I'm usually a 30/31 waist or so, and those 31s, (which shrink a full size when soaked) didn't stretch much at all. I was amazed. The fit was compounded by the snug top block.

So I would say TTS (per tag size) at the minimum, or go up one, especially if you want a looser, slouchier fit. I think Context's size charts are very accurate for those.

That the second time you've sized up on those?

From what I remember you seem to be about a size smaller than me, so it seems I should definitely start with the 32. It was the waist that was the issue, or just the top block in general?

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

That the second time you've sized up on those?

From what I remember you seem to be about a size smaller than me, so it seems I should definitely start with the 32. It was the waist that was the issue, or just the top block in general?

Yep, twice. I'm a 30 (snug) and 31 (comfortable) in almost anything not vanity sized. And I have a modest ass. The snug top block on the 7010 is pretty fitted, and I could barely wear the 31s low on my hips like I prefer. I knew they weren't going to get any looser.

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Fo anyone who's interested:

Latest KMW update and newest details in denim news:

http://denimnews.blogspot.com/

Wondering about that crazy-wide selvage band. Nice embroidery details though...

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I love how they gave Patrick the mythical shot. WTF was that about?

10. sgbeav

sgbeav New Member

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I did a search and could not come up with a conclusive answer.

From what I've read on the forum, many people advocate soaking raw denim (sanforized and unsanforized) to remove any possible and future shrinkage from the product before you get it hemmed. One post recommended soaking it in cold water inside out for 30 minutes and then letting it air dry. but won't an initial soak remove a significant amount of indigo from the denim, causing it to lose its dark blue quality? Isn't this why people refrain from washing it for a few months? If it doesn't, why do people insist on not introducing water to their denim for months?

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I did a search and could not come up with a conclusive answer. From what I've read on the forum, many people advocate soaking raw denim (sanforized and unsanforized) to remove any possible and future shrinkage from the product before you get it hemmed. One post recommended soaking it in cold water inside out for 30 minutes and then letting it air dry. but won't an initial soak remove a significant amount of indigo from the denim, causing it to lose its dark blue quality? Isn't this why people refrain from washing it for a few months? If it doesn't, why do people insist on not introducing water to their denim for months?
    Simple answer: the indigo is better than that used on cheap jeans, why would it come off? They'll stay as dark as when dry. No, soaking is good for the denim, shrinks it, brings out the character of the weave, gets rid of bad excess starch, etc. Repeated washing over time will eventually fade any jeans, but that's not what we're talking about. The only benefit to extended wearing without washing is that it allows the jeans to develop higher-contrast fades. But that can still be achieved even if you wash the jeans monthly. Personally, I feel not washing for six months puts the denim at jeopardy of real damage. I've seen it. Dirt and starch are really abrasive over time. And body oils will promote decay of the cotton fibers. Soaking recs for new raw jeans: 1/2 hour soak, in tub with hot water, inside-out not necessary. Then hang and air dry.

12. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

I'm looking for recommendations for some higher quality jeans than what I have now. Right now, my current favorite pair of jeans would be Joe's Jeans Rocker in King in 28's. The fit is perfect and the denim is kinda nice, but not nice enough. I was looking for a similar slim cut but in a brand that uses higher quality denim.

According to Zappos, in 32's, they measure:
    # 34" inseam.
    # 10" front rise.
    # 14" back rise.
    # 18" leg opening.

Thanks

Oh, PS I'm 6'3" 150lbs

13. ultraviolence

ultraviolence New Member

I'm currently interested in buying some raw denim. I wear 32 waist and was considering getting a pair of Nudies slim jims. Would it be best to size up because I really don't like my junk squeezed. I prefer a skinny fit, but room to breathe would be nice.

I plan on spending around $200ish. Any advice or alternative suggestions would be great. Thanks a bunch.

14. DGP

DGP Senior member

Some Naked & Famous questions:

What's the main difference in fit between the Skinny Guy and Weird Guy?

Are the Slim Guy jeans too wide below the knee to get good stacking from (w/o puddling)?

For those who have had these for a while, how do they hold up? Do they still look good vs. worn out after a while?

What's the stretching like in terms of the thighs and waist?

15. click here

click here Senior member

What are people opinion on Earnest Sewn jeans? Are they good quality?