Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Senior member

How do I match socks with jeans? With the jean or the overall outfit?

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

How do I match socks with jeans? With the jean or the overall outfit?

Outfit for sure, imo.

3. scb

scb Senior member

s5000vx, purchased a month and a half ago. worn maybe 1 day a week and maybe for a few hours after work on some days. so very light wear

the chainstich and 1 other thread look like the only thing holding these together. yes, that's my sock you can see above and below the chainstich
    [​IMG]

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

s5000vx, purchased a month and a half ago. worn maybe 1 day a week and maybe for a few hours after work on some days. so very light wear

the chainstich and 1 other thread look like the only thing holding these together. yes, that's my sock you can see above and below the chainstich

I did the same thing to a pair of APC while trying to get the hem stretched out a bit. I'm a retard.

That's an easy repair. The selvage seam is stitched from underneath the selvage fold-over. If you turn the jeans inside-out, lie them flat and lift up the selvage band (inside the leg), you'll see. That's how you re-stitch to taper a leg too.

Have your tailor run a gold-thread reinforcing stitch down that area from under the selvage fold-over.

5. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Senior member

Levi's only makes the 501 STF unless you're going for Levi's Vintage (LVC). Unless they're super tight to begin with, don't wear them during the soak (the only reason to would be to prevent shrink). Don't remember the waist recommendation (think it's tts) but there's a big 501 thread (size up 3 on the inseam or you'll end up with manpris)

501s are a slim-straight jean with more emphasis on straight (minimal taper), mid-rise

I have a big butt, so it might be tight in the seat. I plan to buy my first pair tomorrow, so we'll see.
    Let me see if I have this right.
    1] Soak the jeans in hot water for an hour.
    2] If the jeans are tight, wear them with the soak. Otherwise, put them on after a soak and do x squats
    3] Hang to dry overnight.
    Is that correct?

Some more questions:
    Where are these supposed to sit?
    How long should I keep them on after the soak? How many squats should I do, or does it matter? Should I wear a belt while I do?
    If I keep things in my pockets for long periods of time (ie. chapstick, my Blackberry), will they also leave creases?
    How often do you store these? Won't folding them add creases across where they are folded?
    How often do you stick them in the freezer? What other methods are there to keep them fresh between washes?

6. connor

connor Senior member

I washed a pair of raw denim for the first time about a week ago. I've worn the jeans 3 times since then and no creases are forming on the back on the knee or anywhere else. They have gotten pretty soft. How can I stiffen them back up to reset the creases so I can continue to further develop the combs and other fades?

Or am I SOL?

what are they? just wear em homie theyll be fine

7. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden Senior member

My favorite pair of jeans just caught on something and tore. The tear is about 4 inches across and three inches down. It looks almost like half a square. Are the jeans throwaways or is there some way to salvage them?

8. connor

connor Senior member

repair em, man. wheres this rip at?

9. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden Senior member

10. connor

connor Senior member

everything can be repaired

this is what one pair of mine looks like...

[​IMG]

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

On the left shin

That's a classic denim tear pattern. You can just run a suture-style stitch over the opening, or have your tailor do a bunch of stitch passes over the entire area in-line with the warp (top) weave, in a color-matched thread. There are other ways too, like a patch from behind if the denim is thinner.

But don't throw them away. Those are battle scars! You earned them, and some people pay more money for fake ones ;-)

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I have a big butt, so it might be tight in the seat. I plan to buy my first pair tomorrow, so we'll see. Let me see if I have this right. 1] Soak the jeans in hot water for an hour. 2] If the jeans are tight, wear them with the soak. Otherwise, put them on after a soak and do x squats 3] Hang to dry overnight. Is that correct? Some more questions: Where are these supposed to sit? How long should I keep them on after the soak? How many squats should I do, or does it matter? Should I wear a belt while I do? If I keep things in my pockets for long periods of time (ie. chapstick, my Blackberry), will they also leave creases? How often do you store these? Won't folding them add creases across where they are folded? How often do you stick them in the freezer? What other methods are there to keep them fresh between washes?
    Only do squats/stretches/wear them in the soak if they're really tight (as in, you can't get in them tight). Belt will keep the waist from stretching back out. If you're really anal you can hang them or fold them in a certain way (fold legs up at the knee, top down at the whiskers, then fold back over the rise seam, but I only do that if I'm going to be packing them with weight on top or something) unless you're setting those creases with force it won't matter. Freezer barely does anything, if they stink wash them these aren't super nice jeans anyway and why would you want stinky jeans funking up your food?

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

and why would you want stinky jeans funking up your food?
    lulz

14. DenimFreak411

DenimFreak411 Well-Known Member

Alright guys, I need help.

My Levi's are starting to wear out -- is there anyway I can buy these:
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...REL&prepushId=

And size UP to get a loose waist, yet skinny taper leg and sort of a LOOSE thigh?

People tell me these stretch, is this so?

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Alright guys, I need help.

My Levi's are starting to wear out -- is there anyway I can buy these:

And size UP to get a loose waist, yet skinny taper leg and sort of a LOOSE thigh?

People tell me these stretch, is this so?

Is it the price that draws you to that model? Sizing up or down to try and change the intended fit of a pair of jeans is usually doomed to failure, and you're better off finding a different cut.

Spend $98 on those Levis 514 raw selvage they have on their website:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...691994.3195585