I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. lpounds

lpounds Active Member

I have 3 pairs of Naked and Famous Weird Guy jeans and am looking to branch out to something similar.

Reason being is the Naked and Famous Weird guy has a weird crotch camel toe thing going on and although it is tolerable, I want to try something new.

I would like my next pair of jeans to be:
    - Raw denim
    - Simple and plain with no crazy pocket designs
    - No pre-distress marks
    - a similar fit to the weird guys
    - under $300 USD
    - Possibly a slightly higher rise than the weird guys

Lots of stipulations but I really don't know what I'm doing. Pretty big noob here, but any help is appreciated.

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

3. lpounds

lpounds Active Member

Those epaulet jeans look nice and for a good price. I may pick some up. Also they have a really nice looking car coat, which I'm also looking for.

Thanks for the tips!

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

how do rrl jeans compare to other brands in its same price point? i see i can get them here on B&S for under $90. i just want something that is comfortable to wear and kick around in. i generally dont wear jeans at all- i just bought my first pair a week ago. i just wanted something easy to put on that matches with everything.
    For $90 they'll blow anything comparatively priced out of the water. These aren't $90 jeans, they're $200+ jeans marked down to $90 (although, at retail I am far less impressed with them)

5. Adrian101

Adrian101 Active Member

What they're seeing are badly executed and worn 'mall' crap, UO or Levis 'skinnys' and such. You want to look for a 'slim' or 'slim tapered' cut. It's almost a universally good fit.
    hey mlyngard you happen to know what is a good slim striaight on the skulls denim line? Or just get a 5010 size up one for that slouchy fit like in that 1st pic you posted. I usually kind of wear my jeans a bit slouchy like that.

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

hey mlyngard you happen to know what is a good slim striaight on the skulls denim line? Or just get a 5010 size up one for that slouchy fit like in that 1st pic you posted. I usually kind of wear my jeans a bit slouchy like that.
    You can try the 5010 cut and go true-to size or size up one. Since there's minimal shrinkage, you can try them on dry and get a pretty good idea, and exchange if one fit doesn't work. The only other option available stateside is the 5507, which is my favorite, and a slightly slouchier and looser-fit slim-cut. Both have a snug top block and a narrow cut around the hips and rear. It's a toss-up which will fit you best, but the 5507 would be a better bet for that fit in the picture unless you're fairly skinny - then maybe the 0510. But they're awesome jeans.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

My FH BSP showing first signs of abuse. Any ideas? IIIrd? Note sure what to ask my tailor to do (or to do at home...), since this is the first real pocket wear I've had. I can thank my winter-chapped knuckles for this. Will prob. need to reinforce the other pocket too: [​IMG]

8. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

My FH BSP showing first signs of abuse. Any ideas? IIIrd?

Note sure what to ask my tailor to do (or to do at home...), since this is the first real pocket wear I've had. I can thank my winter-chapped knuckles for this. Will prob. need to reinforce the other pocket too.

here you go:

[​IMG]

if the pocket bag part is too frayed, just cut a rectangular swatch to patch/back the fabric and suture it on.

9. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

I washed a pair of raw denim for the first time about a week ago. I've worn the jeans 3 times since then and no creases are forming on the back on the knee or anywhere else. They have gotten pretty soft. How can I stiffen them back up to reset the creases so I can continue to further develop the combs and other fades?

Or am I SOL?

10. .Impulsv

.Impulsv Senior member

I am looking to try Levi STFs. I don't care if it's straight or slim, but it needs to be mid-rise after soaking. Which would you recommend?

If I choose to wear them while they soak, should I sit or lie down? Does it matter?
    How long should I stay in the tub with them on?

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Levi's only makes the 501 STF unless you're going for Levi's Vintage (LVC). Unless they're super tight to begin with, don't wear them during the soak (the only reason to would be to prevent shrink). Don't remember the waist recommendation (think it's tts) but there's a big 501 thread (size up 3 on the inseam or you'll end up with manpris)

501s are a slim-straight jean with more emphasis on straight (minimal taper), mid-rise

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Didja get them tapered on the outseam? If so, they should be able to let it out again.

Just don't know what the original specs were. Will guestimate I suppose haha.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

here you go:

[​IMG]

if the pocket bag part is too frayed, just cut a rectangular swatch to patch/back the fabric and suture it on.

You rock. Thanks. That's what I figured.

I washed a pair of raw denim for the first time about a week ago. I've worn the jeans 3 times since then and no creases are forming on the back on the knee or anywhere else. They have gotten pretty soft. How can I stiffen them back up to reset the creases so I can continue to further develop the combs and other fades?

Or am I SOL?

Wearing them, soft or stiff, will totally set the beck-of-knee creasing, provided the fit is good for it (baggy/loose jeans are harder to set them on). Just wear them a lot, and you'll see them come in within about a dozed wears. You've barely even started breaking them in at three wears.

Levi's only makes the 501 STF unless you're going for Levi's Vintage (LVC). Unless they're super tight to begin with, don't wear them during the soak (the only reason to would be to prevent shrink). Don't remember the waist recommendation (think it's tts) but there's a big 501 thread (size up 3 on the inseam or you'll end up with manpris)

501s are a slim-straight jean with more emphasis on straight (minimal taper), mid-rise

Did you see the 514 raw selvage link on the Levis website someone posted the other day? $98 and they looked STF (all sizes were 34" inseam only). Nice...Levis finally figured that out.

Just don't know what the original specs were. Will guestimate I suppose haha.

On most of my jeans that were tapered, the original outseam stitch holes are still slightly visible. That said, a 5/8" selvage band (or .625 for SE buyers ;-) is the norm on all my jeans.

14. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

Wearing them, soft or stiff, will totally set the beck-of-knee creasing, provided the fit is good for it (baggy/loose jeans are harder to set them on). Just wear them a lot, and you'll see them come in within about a dozed wears. You've barely even started breaking them in at three wears.

Well to be fair, they are broken in already since I had worn them for almost a year before washing for the first time. Thanks for the input though.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Well to be fair, they are broken in already since I had worn them for almost a year before washing for the first time. Thanks for the input though.

Oh, duh. Should've seen you weren't a noob. Sorry mate. My creasing came back every time after a wash. I'd avoid starch though. I tried it a few times and it doesn't seem to increase the stiffness much at all. Just more gunk.