I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ppjjmm

ppjjmm Well-Known Member

I've got some KMWs that have developed a hole in the back pocket where one corner of my wallet is, and the other corner is starting to wear through as well. Also there is a crotch situation that is very volatile and I fear a collapse is imminent.

Is there any places you denim gurus can recommend that can fix these problems? I love these jeans but that hole is getting unruly.

2. connor

connor Senior member

3. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

A good tailor

4. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

You with a patch, thread and needle?

5. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

I've got some KMWs that have developed a hole in the back pocket where one corner of my wallet is, and the other corner is starting to wear through as well. Also there is a crotch situation that is very volatile and I fear a collapse is imminent.

Is there any places you denim gurus can recommend that can fix these problems? I love these jeans but that hole is getting unruly.

patching back pocket hole is the easiest fix: 1) prep patch by manually serging the edges [to prevent from fraying] :: 2) stitch behind/under the fabric. try making short stitch lenght [between weaves] on the outside & use light grey thread [preferably 100% cotton] cuz it blends in/less conspicuous.

[​IMG]

invisibly reinforcing crotch stitches: weave stitch in & out of [or at least close to] the existing stitch perforation to maintain a clean/invisible appearance of reinforcement.

[​IMG]

crotch repair: it depends on the extent of the fix. if fabric is still intact, but thinning/fraying, pach under as it'd look cleaner on the outside. if you got a gaping hole, does not matter if you patch over or under. just make sure to cover all the [compromised] area, so you don't need to redo. here's a combination of patching over & under:

[​IMG]

invisible stitch [w/o patch]: reinforcing the fraying weft by inserting thread/stitch under & through the weave... more difficult and time consuming.

[​IMG]

6. jafry

jafry New Member

Does anyone know somewhere in the Twin Cities area to try on mid-range denim like APC or Naked & Famous?

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

[​IMG]
    If this isn't it's own thread here, make it one. This is awesome IIIrd.

8. Adrian101

Adrian101 Active Member

Hey guys here's my dilemma [​IMG] : My Stats: I'm 5'8" 145 lbs, legs arent too long, longer torso. I believe I'm a 31 natural waist, I usually wear 32 in non-raw jeans though. I've never worn raw denim. Criteria: - I need something with a low-rise (not too low), or even better medium-rise fit. High rise doesn't look good on me. - Preferably something that fades well, at a good rate, but still keeps some of the indigo. - Leg opening somewhere between 7-8 inches. I'd rather 7.5-8 inches more. - SLIM STRAIGHT FIT only, not skinny or straight, something in between definetly. - Please don't recommend APC NS, right off the bat. It seems like that's always the-go-to answer. Anything else besides that brand. Questions: Will a 7 inch leg opening break over sneakers like PF Flyers or Vans, or just stack? What's a usual med-rise measurement? (10 inches?) Should you always hot soak before you hem raw jeans? Thanks SF. [​IMG]

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Will a 7 inch leg opening break over sneakers like PF Flyers or Vans, or just stack? What's a usual med-rise measurement? (10 inches?) Should you always hot soak before you hem raw jeans? Thanks SF.
    The first batch of questions you should pose to Kiya at SelfEdge or Gordon at Blue in Green. They're great for providing direction that way. 1. 7" - 7.5" l.o. stack very well, break well too if you hem them closer to actual leg length. 8" + are a maybe... 2. 10.5-9.5" depending on interpretation. Low = 9.5-8" or so... 3. For sure, unless you know and have worn the jeans before (i.e.: exactly how much extra length to keep, how the jeans break in, how much stacking you like on them, and especially, how much they'll shrink). Pros to hem before wash is that hem and hem stitch tighten with rest of jeans during soak, and roping develops (sometimes). Cons are really fucking it up and hemming too short. Yeah, I've done that...

10. calcio

calcio Member

What about cuts? Boot, slim or straight? I prefer straight leg but some friends are trying to convince me skinny or straight leg are for hipsters or gay men.

11. bleepthat

bleepthat Member

I've been wearing my RRLs for months now and I never bothered to take off the cuffs I made for them in ages. Now every time I try to make the cuffs smaller they just roll back to the previous size. How the hell can I remove cuff creases?

12. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Maybe get the crease slightly wet and use an iron (BEWARE OF SHRINKAGE etc)

Speaking of shrinkage, does anyone know how much PRPS raw selvedge jeans (the Barracudas in particular, if you can) will shrink when soaked? I'm especially interested in the waist.

I also get the sense that PRPS will stretch with age. Anyone know how much?

Thanks!

13. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

how do rrl jeans compare to other brands in its same price point?

i see i can get them here on B&S for under $90. i just want something that is comfortable to wear and kick around in. i generally dont wear jeans at all- i just bought my first pair a week ago. i just wanted something easy to put on that matches with everything.

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

What about cuts? Boot, slim or straight? I prefer straight leg but some friends are trying to convince me skinny or straight leg are for hipsters or gay men.
    What they're seeing are badly executed and worn 'mall' crap, UO or Levis 'skinnys' and such. You want to look for a 'slim' or 'slim tapered' cut. It's almost a universally good fit. Check out this thread for a bit and you'll see where your friends are being silly to reject slim fit jeans. http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...=6929&page=163 I agree true 'skinny' jeans are usually for hipsters and worn badly, but the Skull 5010's mostly featured in this thread are some of the slimmest jeans I've ever worn, but I see them worn by other people in the craziest range of styles and fits, from skinny to slouchy. It's all how you rock them, man. I think these dudes rock them well: This guy has the best fit for this cut, imo. Worn a little low, but close to how I usually like to wear my jeans: [​IMG] Agelus, (of course): [​IMG] On a 'built' dude: [​IMG] Tall dude: [​IMG] Skinny dude: [​IMG]

15. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

how do rrl jeans compare to other brands in its same price point?

i see i can get them here on B&S for under $90. i just want something that is comfortable to wear and kick around in. i generally dont wear jeans at all- i just bought my first pair a week ago. i just wanted something easy to put on that matches with everything.

For $90 you won't find anything in the same galaxy.