1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

1) If I'm a W32L34 in preshrunk Levi's 501s (the newer cut, which is snug but comfortable after some stretching out) what size should I buy in 501STF, W32L38 or W33L38? What about LVC 1947 501xx redline selvages, should I size these the same as the 501STF?

2) I was thinking of STF or LVC 47 501s for my first pair of raw denim, but are there better alternatives with a similar cut (not too tight or too loose in the seat and thighs, straight leg) at a decent price, maybe some Japanese brand?

Thanks!

Can anyone help?

2. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

Can anyone help?

Get STFs the same waist size and +2 on the length.

3. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Get STFs the same waist size and +2 on the length.

Thanks! I was thinking of starting with STFs, but I've read that they're not worth the effort and to invest a little more into better quality denim. Are LVC 1947s a good choice? I've heard they are slimmer than antifit 501s of the 80s and 90s but how do they compare to the newer preshrunk 501s, same cut? Do I also get LVCs in the same waist size and +2 on length like the STFs or do these run smaller? Any other brand/model suggestions for a similar fit (not tight, not baggy, straight leg)?

4. whodini

whodini Senior member

5. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=54990

Just search, bro. Tons of info here and on the interwebs.

Thanks man. Definitely tons of info, I read through that and countless other threads on here and sufu so I'm a little confused by all the varying advice. Was hoping a denim head here with LVC experience could clear it up for me!

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

I mean, those people all have had LVC experience and they're all telling you to size up. You could also google for pre/post soak measurements if you're still that nervous.

Just don't see why you need one more person telling you what several people have already stated.

7. Ghumbs

Ghumbs Well-Known Member

I just bought my first pair of decent jeans today. Bought APC New Standards at Barneys. I know about the -2 Rule and tried to follow it. My thighs are built a bit large and I have a gut. Normally I buy Levis 514 size 34 and, because they stretch, can fit into them. I'm probably more of a 35/36 down there. Anyways, I tried 33s on and couldn't button more than 2 on the fly, so I went a size up to 34. In the dressing room I could just get them all buttoned, though that region was tight as can be.

Question is, am I going to regret not getting the 33s and stretching them when I got home?

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

Wouldn't worry about the waist, would worry about the rest of the fit. The waist will stretch out to the same measurement in a 33/34, but the question will be if everything else is super tight when sized down to 33.

9. Ghumbs

Ghumbs Well-Known Member

Wouldn't worry about the waist, would worry about the rest of the fit. The waist will stretch out to the same measurement in a 33/34, but the question will be if everything else is super tight when sized down to 33.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Here's a pic of me in the 34s I got. Maybe that will help. MUFFIN TOP WARNING.
    [​IMG]

10. whodini

whodini Senior member

I can't tell you how you feel in your own jeans. If you think your legs are comfortable in the 34, stick with it. Not everything can be solved by sizing down more.

11. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

^ Agreed.
    If you're built like a man, don't try to dress like a boy or a woman.

12. Ghumbs

Ghumbs Well-Known Member

^ Agreed.
    If you're built like a man, don't try to dress like a boy or a woman.

I appreciate and agree with this advice. At present, I'm a bit more man than I ought to be but I loathe the look of anti-fit. I'm just trying to find a fitted look so I don't look sloppy or "laid back". I'll probably stick with the 34s but I don't want them falling off my ass. That's the main cause of my concern.

13. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

I think if the waist is just a little loose, doesn't matter - it's preferable actually, for when you need to tuck your shirt in - you'll just need a nice, thick belt [​IMG]

14. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Here's a pic of me in the 34s I got. Maybe that will help. MUFFIN TOP WARNING.
    [​IMG]

Those look pretty tight on you. With the build that you describe having, I wouldn't size down.

15. ranker

ranker Senior member

Nudie Thin Finns

Saw Listi's Nudie Thin Finns black coated on his wannabe vampire WAYWT post and want a pair myself. Having never purchased Nudies, let alone wax coated jeans, what can be said about them.

1) size up, size down, tts? for Nudies in general and for Thin Finns?
    2) are particular care issues with wax coated jeans?
    3) any other issues one might not be aware of?
    4) Where's best place to kop? It's $180 on Nudies webstore, hoping for cheaper.

16. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

If the black coated count as raw, then definitley size down. I sized down 2 on my grim tims and they have stretched at least 3-4 inches in the waist and plenty in the thigh and leg. Black coated nudies get more of a shine with wear, but lose all that when you wash them and just look like regular black jeans. So dont wash if you like the shine i guess.

17. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

^ Bummer that they lose their sheen post-wash. I kinda want to get a pair of black coated jeans, but I also like being able to wash my clothes. Do all coated jeans do this, or is it just Nudies? And can you get around it by dry cleaning them? Oh, and speaking of women's jeans, do these look like women's jeans? I bought them off B&S a while ago, and I can't really tell. They're RRL Slim Boots, size 26 x 34. The rise is kinda low and the pocketbags are kinda small. And I guess the follow-up question is if they are, should I ebay them or just rock them anyway? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. connor

connor Senior member

those gotta be girl jeans man. i wouldnt rock that fit

19. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

Cross posted here because it never got answered in the apc thread. Does the inseam on apc ps shrink after a hot soak?

20. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

those gotta be girl jeans man. i wouldnt rock that fit
    That's some scary shit.